RMweb

Tune that Tsunami

CraigZ

The Bruce method is not foolproof or fireproof, in my experience.

Try setting it back to basics, and input 50 into CV209. Then, put 1 into CV210. Set the loco to travel at speed step one, and then increase the value of 210 until it runs smoothly. You may also consider reducing CV209 after that, to get it crawling along. After you're happy, you can then install any custom speed-curve using CV25 and CV29.

This is not always going to work, but it's really smoothed out the start of some recent Tsunami-equipped locomotives I've programmed recently.

Having used many types of decoder for the last 10 years or so, my preference for the smoooooooooooothest running remains the Lenz 1025, and the Loksound 3.5 (although some of the original Loksound downloads are less impressive than what you get with Tsunami).

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Having read this thread a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd have a go at trying to improve the slow speed control of my Athearn Genesis MP15AC which has a factory fitted Tsumami sound decoder.

When I purchased the loco over a year ago, I was rather disappointed that it did not perform as slowly and smoothly as my Atlas locos, when switching.

Following Craig's link and Brian's advice, I've adjusted CV209 to 50 and CV210 to 15 resulting in a complete transformation in performance.

Thanks guys.

Makes me wonder how Athearn choose the default CVs and the 64 page on-line manual is way too complicated for a technophobe like me.

#1173 has now been returned to the Palmetto roster

post-7898-0-01387000-1333048457_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Mal

Hi,

Having read this thread a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd have a go at trying to improve the slow speed control of my Athearn Genesis MP15AC which has a factory fitted Tsumami sound decoder.

When I purchased the loco over a year ago, I was rather disappointed that it did not perform as slowly and smoothly as my Atlas locos, when switching.

Following Craig's link and Brian's advice, I've adjusted CV209 to 50 and CV210 to 15 resulting in a complete transformation in performance.

Thanks guys.

Makes me wonder how Athearn choose the default CVs and the 64 page on-line manual is way too complicated for a technophobe like me.

#1173 has now been returned to the Palmetto roster

post-7898-0-01387000-1333048457_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Mal

Glad to help out.

Every Tsunami I have, whether from Athearn, Walthers, or one I installed myself, is delivered with the jackrabbit start config. I don't understand it either...

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up a slightly old thread, but having recently fitted a Soundtrax Tsunami I remembered this thread when the loco wouldn't crawl very well...

.... I've adjusted CV209 to 50 and CV210 to 15 resulting in a complete transformation in performance.

Mal, did you get to those CV values a bit at a time, or is it worth starting at those values and just 'tweaking' slightly..? My Tsunami is in an Athearn CF7.....

Hi,

I started by changing CV209 (default 25) to 50 as suggested by Brian. I then changed CV210 (default 20) to 1, gradually increasing one step at a time until I reached 15 which gave

satisfactory slow speed performance. It's certainly worth spending some time tweaking CVs to get improved performance.

My Athearn Genesis MP15AC now performs on a par with my Atlas Gold locos.

regards,

Mal

Today I bought the June CM as I knew Roger Nicholls new layout, Iota,Kansa was included. In the layout article he mentions that his Athearn MP15 isn't as good, 'either in sound or control' as his other 2 locos. I know it's a Genesis model as it has bendy handrail stanchions, like mine! Now coming from such a renowned modeller, whose Athearn BB diesels used to run as smooth as silk on his DC layouts, is very interesting.

I just can't understand why Athearn and Soundtraxx(who have a high reputation) can't get together and address this problem, especially when you consider the price of these models. My 2 Atlas diesels with QSI decoders fitted are smooth as silk straight out of the box.

Mal

Today I bought the June CM as I knew Roger Nicholls new layout, Iota,Kansa was included. In the layout article he mentions that his Athearn MP15 isn't as good, 'either in sound or control' as his other 2 locos. I know it's a Genesis model as it has bendy handrail stanchions, like mine! Now coming from such a renowned modeller, whose Athearn BB diesels used to run as smooth as silk on his DC layouts, is very interesting.

I just can't understand why Athearn and Soundtraxx(who have a high reputation) can't get together and address this problem, especially when you consider the price of these models. My 2 Atlas diesels with QSI decoders fitted are smooth as silk straight out of the box.

Mal

Is it possible that the MP15ACs came with MRC decoders? That would explain a lot of the poor running and sound.

I just bought a Genesis NYO&W F3 with what I'm presuming will be an MRC decoder - it's certainly old enough to have an MRC decoder. And if it an MRC decoder, it's coming out. Fast. To be replaced with, probably, a Tsunami as I like their 567 sounds best.

Is it possible that the MP15ACs came with MRC decoders? That would explain a lot of the poor running and sound.

My MP15Ac came with the MRC decoder and burned out after 5 minutes running and 25 minutes idling and messing around with the horns. Even with a Tsunami in, it's still a pretty crap/jerky runner unless the wheels and contacts are kept really clean

Jon

My MP15Ac came with the MRC decoder and burned out after 5 minutes running and 25 minutes idling and messing around with the horns. Even with a Tsunami in, it's still a pretty crap/jerky runner unless the wheels and contacts are kept really clean

That's pretty odd. My pair of non sound MP15AC demonstrators are very nice runners; my herd of Penn Central SW1500s (same Mashima motor I believe) are smooth and reliable.

Archived