Smrzovka - Czech TT scale -next show is Faversham in September 2024

roundhouse

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

This weekend Smrzovka will be at its first show in about two years. We will be exhibiting it at the Crawley MRS show in Tanfield school on the outskirts of Horsham.

At present this is its only show in the South with another next year in he North East.

This will give us a chance to run a few new items of rolling stock.

• RMweb Gold

A photo of the latest rolling stock that has not run on the layout so far. The Goggles is a Roco model and I couldn't resist the livery.

The two wagons are plastic kits and although they need a reasonable amount of work they do make a nice finished model.

Al these three have been fitted with Dapol Easi Shunt couplers and heilstvhtyecwont auto uncouple with Microtrians they will stay coupled. They also tend to perk better over the magnets than the Microtrains ones.

post-1557-0-45497000-1459801209_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The layout has been de webbed as far as I can see but no doubt we will find a few more tomorrow when we set up at the Crawley Mrs show in Horsham tomorrow.
Layout now loaded into car ready for a rather leisurely start at around 07.30 as this is a relatively local show for us.

Must remember to use those section switches as this layout is not DCC yet.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A few photos from today at the Crawley Mrs show.

After two years bring boxed up we had one dry joint and a solenoid under a turnout in the fiddleyard require repairing. After that I just needed to ad a bit of lube to a few locos.

A very good show so far. Also resisted buying another Roco Goggles off 3smr but there is still tomorrow.

post-1557-0-25333200-1460228215_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-16277700-1460228230_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-27518300-1460228252_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-95419300-1460228283_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The layoit performed well over the weekend. Good to talk to a few rmwebbers plus a fair number of people who have travelled on Czech railways.

We also have a few potential invites although not till 2017 /2018 due our diary being pretty much full for the dates requested.

Anyway a few specials near show closing time.

post-1557-0-17940700-1460356947_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-35264400-1460356958_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been over a year now since my last post so about time for an update.

The layout is now just over ten years old but still has a number of invites, some yet to be confirmed but we do have one in November for Newcastle area.

So it's handy that Czech manufacturer MTB has released this class 743 which is a variant of the u ubiquitous class 742 developed for the area around Smrzovka, in particular to replace the rack locos between Tanvald and Harrichov further along the line. I had used a resin body on an old Berliner bahn chassis to produce a classmate that is blue and white so this new loco in green and yellow will bring another hit of variety to the layout. This loco takes a Next 18 decoder but for now it will stay as DC as per the rest of the fleet used on the layout. This model was obtained from Happy model a few stops out from the centre of Plzen on tram route 2 and they take credit cards which is rather handy.

post-1557-0-47746200-1500909019_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-00635100-1500909218_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layout is at the Newcastle show this weekend. It’s first show since April 2016. Last night I gave all the locos and railcars a good clean.

The loco in the previous post has been weathered and had Dapol Easi Shunt couplers fitted as have the two new coaches that I purchased on our recent trip to Liberec.

As this layout is conventional DC control and we mainly use DCC on our other layouts we just have to remember to use the section switches rather using fingers to push a loco that has stopped!

• RMweb Gold

Your trip to Liberec wasn't aboard a certain Grumpy railtour was it?  All I bought from the model shop there was two pairs of Y25s!

Yes it was. A great day on the Saturday.

However we did the brewery trip on Saturday so couldn’t do the model-shop itself but the local model railway club had an open day in the loco depot where the shop had a stand.

On the Sunday we spent a fair amount of time in the station cafe drinking dark beer and a few hours in town in a bar we have used before. Then we took the Regiojet bus back to a Prague due to the tour being caught in the storms.

A communications mix up meant our party's leader didn't book us into the brewery, so our supper was in the town hall cellar in Liberec.  We'd decided that as we could get the same track in on Sunday morning plus a bit extra we'd flag Saturday's trip to Frydlant.  We got to look at aspects of that branch in some detail on the Sunday...!

As a plus, three friends on board the tour were really inspired by Czech railways during the trip (it was their first time in the country) and are making committed sounding noises to modelling something Czech in TT!

Edited by Taigatrommel

• RMweb Gold

A communications mix up meant our party's leader didn't book us into the brewery, so our supper was in the town hall cellar in Liberec.  We'd decided that as we could get the same track in on Sunday morning plus a bit extra we'd flag Saturday's trip to Frydlant.  We got to look at aspects of that branch in some detail on the Sunday...!

As a plus, three friends on board the tour were really inspired by Czech railways during the trip (it was their first time in the country) and are making committed sounding noises to modelling something Czech in TT!

Luckily we had travelled the branchline some years ago so decided to have a lay in.

There is quite a lot more RTR Czech TT scale these days compared to when we started this layout back in 2005 / 06 but we have enjoyed sourcing the kits and resin bodied locos.

• RMweb Gold

The layout is now safely stored back at home. We had a great weekend at the Newcastle show with many people instantly recognised it as Czech.

One potential invite back to the North East on thr cards. Whether that will be next year or not we shall see otherwise the next show is in 2019 at present.

A few more photos from the weekend.

A Goggles pulls a special into the station

post-1557-0-42713700-1510645857_thumb.jpg

A class 743 built for the ex rack line further along this route used to pull two or three trailer cars up the branch from Smrzovka to Josefuv Dul on Saturdays some years ago

post-1557-0-01119300-1510645889_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Must be all the Prague party trips getting people going back to holiday again and recognising it :)

I only saw a little of the railways over there but still came back with a book as I liked what I saw. My problem is I rather liked the trams but that'd need a lot of buildings and space ;)

• RMweb Gold

Must be all the Prague party trips getting people going back to holiday again and recognising it :)

I only saw a little of the railways over there but still came back with a book as I liked what I saw. My problem is I rather liked the trams but that'd need a lot of buildings and space ;)

Quite a bit of change since we modelled the location but Czech railways still interesting. Even the trams have changed but they stil have some, Tatra T3s running.

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed seeing this layout at Newcastle. Always nice to see something a bit different and in a scale not often seen.

TT scale has certainly much more appeal than N for me.

TT has the great advantage of being a good space saver yet still large enough to fit and see details. Just a shame that it never took off here in the UK although that is actually a larger scale than continental TT. One of our operators had some Triang TT but it won’t fit through the backscene which is probably a good thing really! Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Luckily we had travelled the branchline some years ago so decided to have a lay in.

Very sensible - I was also on the tour and endured the totter back down to Liberec on the Sunday - we averaged about 6km/h for about 8 hours. Still, there was a plentiful supply of free beer!

I'm one of the 3 that Taigatrommel mentioned - a couple of possible Czech TT layout doodles and stock requirement lists have been added to the layout build file.

Edited by CloggyDog