Bachmann continue chassis upgrade programme with Ivatt 2MT & Modified Hall

Andy Y

Chassis upgrades to continue in OO scale

Bachmann is continuing with its policy of moving towards 100% DCC compatibility in OO scale.

Since announcing its move into Digital Command Control in 2005, all new OO models have been introduced with DCC sockets and existing ones upgraded each year.

This year it is the turn of the following locomotives to be upgraded;

• LMS Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T

• GWR Modified Hall Class 4-6-0

Bachmann Europe Plc Managing Director Graham Hubbard said today “We have been inundated with requests to upgrade the remaining locomotives ready for DCC operation. I appreciate the frustration and sometimes customers are less than understanding of the task involved. We put as much time, effort and money in to producing a new chassis as we do for a brand new model. I would like to reassure people that we are working forward each year with our Chinese engineers to bring us to the day when every Bachmann OO scale locomotive will have a DCC socket. Until we can achieve our objective, I am asking every customer to be patient. We have to achieve a balance in our production schedules between brand new models and those being upgraded. We believe we have the balance right and I look forward to the day when we can consign the very last locomotive or multiple unit for an upgrade. Our aim is to achieve this within the next few years.”

• RMweb Premium

The Ivatt 2-6-2T is particularly good news for me. And I see from the Bachmann website it's to be 21DCC too, rather than 8DCC. I suppose that makes sense as there's not much space for wires and a decoder whereas a direct fit 21-pin decoder may fit more easily. Anyway, the Late Crest one I want is DCC on board, so even better.

But let's hope Bachmann's plans are not thwarted by the factory this year. The current Small Prairie 4571 in BR green w/late crest was supposed to be DCC ready but wasn't...

I have now DCC'd two of the originals. Both run reasonably well but the new chassis is still a welcome addition for what is already a good model.

I don't think I'll bother converting my modified Hall now, though!!

Archived