Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Dare I say it but if I was to glaze them, it would be by hacking the floor out and adding Plastiglaze as the gluey stuff that sets never looks quite right to me.

I wonder if the roofs come off? They had to get the weight in there somehow.......

Jason, you should work for the CIA as you are a very good hacker!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Getting on for 24 hours with no posts here, what's going on?

Everyone's finally realised that Jeff scrapped the layout?

:D

I sometimes wonder if there are some people who don't realise that KL no longer exists - and the reasons for its demise.

Fear not, KL2 is ready to rise from the ashes - when I have a new place to build it!

And Paul, another reason it's quiet (aside from me being busy) is that Bodge isn't around. He always catalyses activity!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

And Paul, another reason it's quiet (aside from me being busy) is that Bodge isn't around. He always catalyses activity!!

Jeff

Conspicuous by his absence... I see he's not been on since 8 this morning...

You should pop up to Birtley this weekend and say hello, and you can have a play with GM, no three links though  :O

• RMweb Premium

Conspicuous by his absence... I see he's not been on since 8 this morning...

You should pop up to Birtley this weekend and say hello, and you can have a play with GM, no three links though  :O

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately I'll not be around .... going over to sunny (!!) Cumbria (to my dads) tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday.

I need an excuse to head in the direction of Whitby (the nearest I get these days is Grosmont). So if you have an exhibition on over the summer I'll pop down, meet you and have a look at your splendid layout(s)!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys, I'm back and HAPPY AS A PIG IN POOOOO

WE HAD CONTRACTS TODAY

SHOULD BE MOVING ON WEDNESDAY 19th MARCH

THIS YEAR.

Andy 

Yippee!!       Hooray!! 

Well done, sir!!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately I'll not be around .... going over to sunny (!!) Cumbria (to my dads) tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday.

I need an excuse to head in the direction of Whitby (the nearest I get these days is Grosmont). So if you have an exhibition on over the summer I'll pop down, meet you and have a look at your splendid layout(s)!!

Jeff

I believe Pauls group hold their exhibition in Goathland, at least that's where I first caught up with him last year, of course he didn't have his layout with him then but as far as I can remember he is at York this year. So I'll be catching up with him and GM then.

• RMweb Premium

I believe Pauls group hold their exhibition in Goathland, at least that's where I first caught up with him last year, of course he didn't have his layout with him then but as far as I can remember he is at York this year. So I'll be catching up with him and GM then.

That's useful information, Jim. I'll try and get down to York this year, especially if Paul and co. are exhibiting there.

And at some stage we may actually meet up at Grosmont!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

KL very quiet again. Not much from me - especially as I'm in damp Cumbria and posting via the dreaded phone!

However, having just gone through 2 books of old railway photos with my dad I feel he now understands my interest in the S&C!!

Jeff

• Like 2

KL very quiet again. Not much from me - especially as I'm in damp Cumbria and posting via the dreaded phone!

However, having just gone through 2 books of old railway photos with my dad I feel he now understands my interest in the S&C!!

Jeff

hope your dad 'respects' your interest in the S&C. Understanding is just half way. You can your dad I said that so you don't get a belt round the ear. Anyway you're lucky my dad never understood my railway mania but it was his own fault because when my elder cousin came to ask if he could take me to Corkerhill shed (67A) my dad replied " take him anywhere out of my sight" (I must have been very good that day) So you see it was his own fault, a fact I regularly reminded him of hehehe :jester:  :jester:

I once 'borrowed' his Kodak to take to Corkerhill (about 12 yrs old) but being the FOOL I was / am I forgot that he would see the photographs when they were developed, I'll leave the rest to your imagination!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I never had that problem with my Dad the interest was inherited.   When we had to move him into a home I inherited his trainspotting notebooks (the ones that showed which loco hauled me over Stainmore aged 3.5) and on the page for October 52 on the day I was born was 72002  Liverpool exchange, James Born.  My poor mother was in labour in Carlisle, nuff said.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Yes, my dad's very interested in what I do. He's a retired builder so always looks at the viaducts. He's especially impressed by Belah on the old NER line.

Currently discussing his trainspotting days in the 1940s.

Jeff

• Like 5

I never had that problem with my Dad the interest was inherited.   When we had to move him into a home I inherited his trainspotting notebooks (the ones that showed which loco hauled me over Stainmore aged 3.5) and on the page for October 52 on the day I was born was 72002  Liverpool exchange, James Born.  Mt poor mother was in labour in Carlisle, nuff said.

Jamie

Your dad certainly had his priorities sorted then Jamie :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Your dad certainly had his priorities sorted then Jamie :jester:

You're a hard man, Mike! Poor Jamie - it must have been a tough upbringing playing second fiddle to a steam engine....lol!!!

But what a modeller it's produced!

I think my dad was more interested in his joinery than poor little me! Maybe that's where my love of wood comes from?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You're a hard man, Mike! Poor Jamie - it must have been a tough upbringing playing second fiddle to a steam engine....lol!!!

But what a modeller it's produced!

I think my dad was more interested in his joinery than poor little me! Maybe that's where my love of wood comes from?

Jeff

Yes my Dad was not only a railfan but an O Gauge modeller who built our Hornby tinplate layout hinged on the dining room wall when we lived in Chesterfield, then a large oval of three rail track with graduated curves to run his Leeds Model Co Jinty on.   He had a life long interest in railways and his chemistry lab (he was a teacher) overlooked the S & C) so lessons would be interrupted apparently while he focused hois telescope across the valley to get numbers.  I still use the telescope for getting numbers in off places, my mate and I call it the seeing stick.   So it'sall in the genes apparently.

Jamie

• Like 2

My interest was also inherited from my father but strangely enough was not followed by my brother who has all his N gauge stuff, I think sister-in -law stops him from taking it up though.

My dads interest and mine were always poles apart though in period and detail, whereas he was happy to plonk a few plastic houses and trees around his chosen plan and shunt stuff, I was not.

I always thought that he had secretly always wanted to be an express train driver on the GWR. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the hiatus between KL and KL2 it's nice to look beyond the S & C to other lines.

There are a number of scenes in the Furness Railway book I'm reading which would lend themselves to either a small scenic plank or a small shunting arrangement.

All based around what's in a single photo. Why make it up when it's staring you in the face?

Now if I only had space to model Belah viaduct. Spectacular or what?

Anyway, back to the S & C, boy!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My interest was also inherited from my father but strangely enough was not followed by my brother who has all his N gauge stuff, I think sister-in -law stops him from taking it up though.

My dads interest and mine were always poles apart though in period and detail, whereas he was happy to plonk a few plastic houses and trees around his chosen plan and shunt stuff, I was not.

I always thought that he had secretly always wanted to be an express train driver on the GWR. 

There were some models being sold on eBay a while back.  They were mainly buildings and being sold by a lady.  In 'Reason for sale' it said:-

'Being sold as my husband will not have enough time in future to pursue his hobby.'

Ummm......

• RMweb Premium

There were some models being sold on eBay a while back.  They were mainly buildings and being sold by a lady.  In 'Reason for sale' it said:-

'Being sold as my husband will not have enough time in future to pursue his hobby.'

Ummm......

I suspect divorce proceedings will have since commenced....

Unless they'd amended the marriage vows....

"Do you take this man.... to love him, keep him and respect his model railway collection..."

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Railway modelling was about the fifth or sixth most important of my hobbies behind astronomy/astrophysics, landscape gardening, photography, reading etc....

But for the last 5 years it's been a dominant activity and I can't see that changing. If it was just "playing" with trains I'd get bored. The design and construction aspect is what does it for me.

Time consuming and great fun.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Just checking to see what's going on here on KL... nothing.... not surprisingly!

I'm still in Cumbria using the dreaded phone.

It'll be intetesting to look back on here in 6 months once new construction starts.

Jeff

In the hiatus between KL and KL2 it's nice to look beyond the S & C to other lines.

There are a number of scenes in the Furness Railway book I'm reading which would lend themselves to either a small scenic plank or a small shunting arrangement.

All based around what's in a single photo. Why make it up when it's staring you in the face?

Now if I only had space to model Belah viaduct. Spectacular or what?

Anyway, back to the S & C, boy!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, All,

It's great to be back and (struggling!) to keep up with topics on here and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments above!

There are just so many fascinating and tempting railways out there that are just begging to be reproduced in model form. A while back, I was strongly tempted to model McDuff on the old GNoSR as though it had lasted into the green diesel era, maybe I will one day.

My problem is that I get sidetracked too easily and look even further afield than our own shores.

How I admire those with the fortitude to stick to one time & place, if I could do that I would probably have ended up modelling French!!!!! Ha, ha, ha!

"Anyway, back to the S&C, boy!"

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1