Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jock, all I can say is the very best of Luck mate, I know I speak for all when I say we are thinking of both You and Joanna today.

Jeff, that Exercise Bike will DEFINITELY HAVE TO GO, they are the route of ALL evil and there should be a National Ban on any form of EXERCISE.

Bodge.

I must admit, I don't enjoy using the exercise bike. I'm very competitive and always try to beat my pb's. So much so that, aside from the time indicator, I've covered-up all the other data - distance gone, calories used, pulse rate, when the dinner's going to be ready etc etc.

I DO like the rowing machine, though. Nothing like a good 40 minutes of rowing mayhem!

Jeff

Hi all hope every one is ok good luck Jock hope all gose well

How's your back Jeff hope you are taking it easy and same gose to you Andy.

I've had a bit of good news I think the ex has left the house so I can sell the thing. Only issue I have is that she took the laminate flooring up in the lounge and 3 bedrooms so I have to carpet it before I sell it that is why I've not been on here for a while but hopefully I can move on and enjoy my life now

Mark

• RMweb Gold

There is one proper form of exercise walking the dogs preferably in the woods or across the moors or perhaps the coast path. You get the exercise, fresh air, and it calms the mind finest medicine out well apart from running trains.

Don

Hi all hope every one is ok good luck Jock hope all gose well

How's your back Jeff hope you are taking it easy and same gose to you Andy.

I've had a bit of good news I think the ex has left the house so I can sell the thing. Only issue I have is that she took the laminate flooring up in the lounge and 3 bedrooms so I have to carpet it before I sell it that is why I've not been on here for a while but hopefully I can move on and enjoy my life now

Mark

Hi Mark, isn't it better to allow for it in the price as you can ALMOST guarantee that whatever you put down will be the wrong color for the purchaser, we nearly did the same and very glad we didn't do it.

Bodge.

I must admit, I don't enjoy using the exercise bike. I'm very competitive and always try to beat my pb's. So much so that, aside from the time indicator, I've covered-up all the other data - distance gone, calories used, pulse rate, when the dinner's going to be ready etc etc.

I DO like the rowing machine, though. Nothing like a good 40 minutes of rowing mayhem!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The best exercise is found reading KL, I'm always up and down off the floor laughing at some of the antics here. :sungum:

I found RMweb about three years ago whilst looking for history of Lincolnshire railways.  I am not an active modeller but anything railway orientated be it full size or models gets my attention.

There is a lot of East Coast stuff on RM which first drew my attention to the forums, Peterborough North, Little Bytham, Grantham, etc., then I somehow got side tracked by all of Andy Peters small layouts which somehow led me to the Lounge and from there to KL.

Like any book I am not one who reads from the end backwards, so I started at page 1 and read through until page 507 without being tempted to skip a few places to find out who dunnit even though its taken a month or so to do it. :boast:

Well what a delightful journey, full of twists and turns, so many characters imparting infinite knowledge and not a bad guy to be seen.

There were one or two suggestions I was going to make along the way, but no, I couldn't do that as I was still a few hundred pages from the outcome so I resisted until the end.  Most things were brought up by other people so that killed all my unique answers.

As for KL2, I am in agreement that it needs a seperate blog, and could I suggest some changes to the latest plan:

1. Move the NER fiddle yard into the top corner with curvered loops thereby creating a larger access area next to the main fiddle yard.

2. Pivot the viaduct from point A, and the station curve outwards as arrowed at bit more to present the viaduct arch more square on to the NER line where is passes under the viaduct.

3. Split the stream at the top and have it coming under the road (another bridge to build) :scratchhead:

Other thoughts:

Would it be possible to have the UP half of the S&C FY more into the top corner, the DOWN half of the S&C FY more under the Fell, which could possibly give you an access area between the two.

Would it make any sense to have a cross over from UP and Down lines at both ends of the main FY.

I do like the seat on rails idea to get under the framework and I am sure you could lower the height of the boards if you wanted to by using that method.  Beleive me, nobody crawls when you get older.

You could always have an outside staircase to the Bunker loft then slide down a firemans pole to the operating well. :no:

Oh dear, on that note I'm going before I catch anymore of this Lunester bug. :scared:

mick

post-15323-0-67687700-1406681109_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

In the spirit of all things Lunester,  I wish to advise that I have given up all hope of ever receiving the two factory-weathered Heljan Garratts which are on pre-order and expected at Hattons in 'late July'.

Thank you Donington Road for your post above.  Made my day... bleak winter day that it is without a Garratt.... sob

except this I did yesterday...  which I offer in the full knowledge that it is irrelevant to KL2 BUT FUN  weathering-by-photo-editing (that's a pristine 47992 believe it or not)  edit; and neither NER nor S&C BUT Lunester..!

post-7929-0-37505900-1406696940.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick.

Thanks for your post, and good to see someone else joining in with the Lunester spirit.

Also good to see somebody digging up the KL2 plan and offering suggestions. Exactly what thee threads are about, in my opinion.

The ideas you put forward, individually, have merit. However, the whole thing is constrained by available space and the radii of the curves. For example, pivoting the viaduct would give a better access to the NER line. But it would remove the long, smooth curve across the viaduct into the station - and that is probably the nicest feature of the whole layout (as was on KL). the line would have to bend sharply at the right hand end of the viaduct to turn into the station.

Splitting the stream..... I love building bridges, and the idea would look nice. However, there's only about 18" (45cm) between the road underbridge and the operating well, so adding another bridge in there would be a bit of overkill and distort the embankments to either side of the road.

As for the fiddle yard, again it comes down to curvature and the length of FY roads. Any roads pushed to the upper left of the plan would inevitably be shorter. It takes a lot of space to fit in an 8' road, given the need to curve back to the main line at either end.

As for crossovers. Yes, I could put them in, but decided against it for simplicity. If you look back at KL you'll see a lot of additional trackwork in the station area that wasn't prototypical but which I added to make things "more interesting". Jason (Sandside) regularly told me to remove them, as they weren't needed. Having gone back to near prototype, and with hindsight, I see that he was right. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible now!

I DO like the fireman's pole idea. If only it were possible!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phew!!

That's the longest post I've written in ages. Exhausting!

But then I have Rob and his "KL2 stalwart" Garratts to look at. Stalwart in the sense that they appear in this thread, not run on the line.

I hope you've not sold your other locos to subsidise clearing Hattons, Kernow etc out of all their Garratt stock, Rob?

Anyway, must be time for a very late breakfast.....

Jeff

• Like 1

Mick, (Donington Road)

Nice to 'meet' you and that is an impressive first Lunester post! I too made the mistake of reading all the threads I stumbled on in that way and also came across Lunester from an AndyP layout thread - boy, am I glad I did. They are the most supportive, kind and humorous bunch as well as being very capable modellers, willing to share their ideas with all of us. I've now had to cut down on the number of threads that I follow after complaints from the distaff side about the amount of time I now spend on my iPad and PC!

Have you found the Ashcombe thread yet, started by AndyP's good friend George - it is full of lovely modelling and friendly banter and raises a smile most days. Then there's 'Bacup', 'Dent Station', 'Bakewell', 'Goathland' and the completely irrelevant but friendly, supportive and entertaining 'Early Risers' where I spend most of my RMweb time! That is to name but a few, there are many others that I wish I had space and time to mention, and as you've probably discovered already, some threads that I wish I hadn't bothered wasting time on.

Hope you get lots of fun from your association with this fine bunch of people.

Jeff, hope the recuperation is going on in a controlled fashion!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Hi Jeff,

The best exercise is found reading KL, I'm always up and down off the floor laughing at some of the antics here. :sungum:

I found RMweb about three years ago whilst looking for history of Lincolnshire railways.  I am not an active modeller but anything railway orientated be it full size or models gets my attention.

There is a lot of East Coast stuff on RM which first drew my attention to the forums, Peterborough North, Little Bytham, Grantham, etc., then I somehow got side tracked by all of Andy Peters small layouts which somehow led me to the Lounge and from there to KL.

Like any book I am not one who reads from the end backwards, so I started at page 1 and read through until page 507 without being tempted to skip a few places to find out who dunnit even though its taken a month or so to do it. :boast:

Well what a delightful journey, full of twists and turns, so many characters imparting infinite knowledge and not a bad guy to be seen.

There were one or two suggestions I was going to make along the way, but no, I couldn't do that as I was still a few hundred pages from the outcome so I resisted until the end.  Most things were brought up by other people so that killed all my unique answers.

As for KL2, I am in agreement that it needs a seperate blog, and could I suggest some changes to the latest plan:

1. Move the NER fiddle yard into the top corner with curvered loops thereby creating a larger access area next to the main fiddle yard.

2. Pivot the viaduct from point A, and the station curve outwards as arrowed at bit more to present the viaduct arch more square on to the NER line where is passes under the viaduct.

3. Split the stream at the top and have it coming under the road (another bridge to build) :scratchhead:

Other thoughts:

Would it be possible to have the UP half of the S&C FY more into the top corner, the DOWN half of the S&C FY more under the Fell, which could possibly give you an access area between the two.

Would it make any sense to have a cross over from UP and Down lines at both ends of the main FY.

I do like the seat on rails idea to get under the framework and I am sure you could lower the height of the boards if you wanted to by using that method.  Beleive me, nobody crawls when you get older.

You could always have an outside staircase to the Bunker loft then slide down a firemans pole to the operating well. :no:

Oh dear, on that note I'm going before I catch anymore of this Lunester bug. :scared:

mick

Now we have ANOTHER Mick, that will confuse me, so we now have Mick, Donnington Road, Mick, Skipese, Mike 61680 and goodness knows how many more.

Its great to have you on board, although this is Jeff's thread I'm sure he wont mind me welcoming you along for the ride, (if he does mind then tuff, hahhha)

All the best,

Bodge,

P.S. Thanks for the nice plugs for my small layouts.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Thank you Donington Road for your post above.  Made my day... bleak winter day that it is without a Garratt.... sob

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob, you make my day many times over with your fantastic model photos which I never tire of.

Hi Mick.

Thanks for your post, and good to see someone else joining in with the Lunester spirit.

Also good to see somebody digging up the KL2 plan and offering suggestions. Exactly what thee threads are about, in my opinion.

The ideas you put forward, individually, have merit. However, the whole thing is constrained by available space and the radii of the curves. For example, pivoting the viaduct would give a better access to the NER line. But it would remove the long, smooth curve across the viaduct into the station - and that is probably the nicest feature of the whole layout (as was on KL). the line would have to bend sharply at the right hand end of the viaduct to turn into the station.

Splitting the stream..... I love building bridges, and the idea would look nice. However, there's only about 18" (45cm) between the road underbridge and the operating well, so adding another bridge in there would be a bit of overkill and distort the embankments to either side of the road.

As for the fiddle yard, again it comes down to curvature and the length of FY roads. Any roads pushed to the upper left of the plan would inevitably be shorter. It takes a lot of space to fit in an 8' road, given the need to curve back to the main line at either end.

As for crossovers. Yes, I could put them in, but decided against it for simplicity. If you look back at KL you'll see a lot of additional trackwork in the station area that wasn't prototypical but which I added to make things "more interesting". Jason (Sandside) regularly told me to remove them, as they weren't needed. Having gone back to near prototype, and with hindsight, I see that he was right. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible now!

I DO like the fireman's pole idea. If only it were possible!

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm all in favour of sticking to the prototype, after all, it worked for them so it should work for you.

BTW, that centre column in the Bunker is reinforcement to stop it collapsing if you ever reverse the car into it :jester:

Once you have constructed that substantial Fell then I am sure it could be removed :no:

Mick, (Donington Road)

Nice to 'meet' you and that is an impressive first Lunester post! I too made the mistake of reading all the threads I stumbled on in that way and also came across Lunester from an AndyP layout thread - boy, am I glad I did. They are the most supportive, kind and humorous bunch as well as being very capable modellers, willing to share their ideas with all of us. I've now had to cut down on the number of threads that I follow after complaints from the distaff side about the amount of time I now spend on my iPad and PC!

Have you found the Ashcombe thread yet, started by AndyP's good friend George - it is full of lovely modelling and friendly banter and raises a smile most days. Then there's 'Bacup', 'Dent Station', 'Bakewell', 'Goathland' and the completely irrelevant but friendly, supportive and entertaining 'Early Risers' where I spend most of my RMweb time! That is to name but a few, there are many others that I wish I had space and time to mention, and as you've probably discovered already, some threads that I wish I hadn't bothered wasting time on.

Hope you get lots of fun from your association with this fine bunch of people.

Jeff, hope the recuperation is going on in a controlled fashion!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks for the welcome Jock,  maybe I need to trim down the number of links I go to, over 200 at the moment, but I do enjoy reading and seeing what other poeple do.  I guess I am a pc modeller :sungum:

Now we have ANOTHER Mick, that will confuse me, so we now have Mick, Donnington Road, Mick, Skipese, Mike 61680 and goodness knows how many more.

Its great to have you on board, although this is Jeff's thread I'm sure he wont mind me welcoming you along for the ride, (if he does mind then tuff, hahhha)

All the best,

Bodge,

P.S. Thanks for the nice plugs for my small layouts.

Thanks Andy, we have crossed paths in the Lounge awhile ago, I'm the mick that has all your layout links in your own personal folder.  As I said to Jock, I have many many more so maybe its time to go and do a bit of spring cleaning and sort them all out into some kind of index.  I'm sorry I have to be another Mick, but as you are always taking the mick(ey) you should be able to cope :sungum:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, Mick.

Great to have you along and we'll try and encourage you to build something, as well as being on the PC. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Tolerance is virtually the Lunester code-word. I hate people trying to say there's only one way to do things!

As for being another Mick. Just ignore that AndyP character! I think he's the ultimate wind-up merchant (especially after a curry) and don't we love him for it (the advice, NOT the flatulence!)

As for ram-raiding the bunker. The car would have lost every time with KL as I'd built stone walls behind the lower quarter of the garage door to cut down on draughts (see post #1)!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jock, I think the Lunester gang are probably representative of a lot of society. Given the chance, most people are helpful and generous.

Even the "criticism" on the threads you named has always been of a supportive nature. I was always amazed that NOBODY really took me to task for building a Fell with a mass of around 250kg (a quarter of a TONNE!!!!), which was clearly (except to me) RIDICULOUS!

Jeff

• Like 1

I was always amazed that NOBODY really took me to task for building a Fell with a mass of around 250kg (a quarter of a TONNE!!!!), which was clearly (except to me) RIDICULOUS!

Jeff

Nah, we all knew that eventually you were going to quarry it to fill your anhydrite wagons.  Little did we know you would be blowing it up completely :O

Jock, I think the Lunester gang are probably representative of a lot of society. Given the chance, most people are helpful and generous.

Even the "criticism" on the threads you named has always been of a supportive nature. I was always amazed that NOBODY really took me to task for building a Fell with a mass of around 250kg (a quarter of a TONNE!!!!), which was clearly (except to me) RIDICULOUS!

Jeff

That's because we all love hard work Jeff... and could watch you do it all day!

I've just had a great idea: KL2BunkerCam!

That way, we could check up on you any time of day, and be your own monitored security system when you weren't there.  You know it makes sense.

Scott

• Like 3

That way, we could check up on you any time of day, and be your own monitored security system when you weren't there.  You know it makes sense.

Scott

Love it Scott, great idea and that way we can SHOUT and advise as it goes along, hahha

Bodge

• RMweb Premium

Scott

Knowing you lot, you'd be placing bets on how much wood I use, how long it takes me to solder a length of track, was my plaster mix consistent enough?, did I build my boards wearing a mankini?, what colour would the mankini be today?.... etc. Heaven forbid, the Lunesters all tuned in on their webcams as "Jeff performs"!!

I'll get you one of these days, Scott, I'll get you!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What if we were to find out that Jeff is a nudist modeller? :O

*Jeff drops his screwdriver on the floor and throughout the land, modellers can be heard to scream 'Don't pick it up, for the love of GOD please don't pick it up'  :D

• RMweb Premium

Jason - you WEREN'T supposed to reveal THAT!!!!

Right, mate - I'll be posting those X-rated shots from the last Bacup event with you and Bodge.....  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Btw, did you ever wear those mankinis I bought you for your birthday? Or did I send them to Bodge?  :angel:  :angel:

I apologise if I've ruined anybody's supper!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

*Jeff drops his screwdriver on the floor and throughout the land, modellers can be heard to scream 'Don't pick it up, for the love of GOD please don't pick it up'   :D

Wish I could give you more than one "funny" for the edit. Such imagery....

You ought to apply for the post of Poet Laureate!

Jeff

*Jeff drops his screwdriver on the floor and throughout the land, modellers can be heard to scream 'Don't pick it up, for the love of GOD please don't pick it up'   :D

It'd put a whole new slant of the "size of the fell" conversation, that's for sure....

(It'll look bigger if you switch to N gauge, Jeff!)

Morning all, that guy on the bike needs to be modelled on top of Jeff's Fell, good job he wasn't riding past a girl in a bikini, the pic could have been a whole lot different.

Bodge