RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jam!

I was just thinking that if the frogs from my pond were struck by lightning I'd have instant electrofrogs and wouldn't have to buy any!! Umm... :no:

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Today's fun is to cut out lots of templates and arrange them to try and gauge whether the code 75 plan has to significantly modified - which I think it doesn't.

Playing around with paper is fine, but I wish I had the real track in front of me. End of July, methinks, having counted up my pennies.

So after a surge of activity relative boredom sets in. Nevermind, plenty to look forward to!

Jeff

Thats probably why I stick to Peco, mind you if you are building one PROPPER :sungum: layout then I guess you have go iotspot on. I am too impacient and want to get trains running NOW not tomorrow :stinker: . Andy

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Thats probably why I stick to Peco, mind you if you are building one PROPPER :sungum: layout then I guess you have go iotspot on. I am too impacient and want to get trains running NOW not tomorrow :stinker: . Andy

In many ways I agree with you Andy. I've wandered into the "bunker" (garage) over the last few days and wanted to start tracklaying - but I'll have to be patient. I will use Peco 75 for the fiddle yard on this one, and I've priced-up what I need for the main part of the layout. Funny thing is, I never really bothered about the track on my previous layouts. It was just a conduit to carry the trains...I spent all my time with the surrounding scenics. This time I'll try to look at the whole thing, but I'm not getting over-serious...I want to enjoy myself!!

Thanks for the Kingsmill stuff. It really has set me thinking about the NEXT (!!) project. After all, I can't use all my locos on Kirkby, and if I change the period it will give me an excuse to buy some more engines!!!!! Sounds like a good idea to me!

Cheers!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, you must have the patience of a saint, and I commend you for it.

Andy, I spent 8 years working on my last layout...a bit at a time. However, if I'd been a member of this Forum I'd have speeded up, as I periodically lost interest. Please don't fall asleep as I develop things!! I bet you'll be onto your next layout before I get the track down.

I have a question re. one of your other layouts. I will go and post it there.

Cheers Andy from Saint Jeff (umm...)

I guess in a couple of weeks you will change your usser name to EX Physicsman or the retired Saint, ha ha lol, as for my next project I am waiting untill I find out how big a room I will have once we have sold this house and found another, and also I will then start a new Exhibition layout (Fiddlers Yard) which may be in the same vein as Kingsmill so I can run multi era with lots of wagon shunting and loco movements and storage.

• RMweb Premium

I guess in a couple of weeks you will change your usser name to EX Physicsman or the retired Saint, ha ha lol, as for my next project I am waiting untill I find out how big a room I will have once we have sold this house and found another, and also I will then start a new Exhibition layout (Fiddlers Yard) which may be in the same vein as Kingsmill so I can run multi era with lots of wagon shunting and loco movements and storage.

Yes, myself and Simon Templar have a lot in common. Both smooth, smart and sophisticated. Well, at least I am!

And he hasn't a clue about DCC, electrofrogs, ballasting etc.....

I hope SWMBO will keep tight control of you or you'll fill the new house with stuff. Does sound like a good idea!

Jeff

Yes, myself and Simon Templar have a lot in common. Both smooth, smart and sophisticated. Well, at least I am!

And he hasn't a clue about DCC, electrofrogs, ballasting etc.....

I hope SWMBO will keep tight control of you or you'll fill the new house with stuff. Does sound like a good idea!

Jeff

Thinking about a viaduct over the bath, :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about a viaduct over the bath, :nono:

Sounds like grounds for divorce, Andy! Is this a clever maneouvre to drive the missus away and gain more space for layouts?!!

I'll be back in the bunker at the weekend fitting some "backscene boards" on part of the wall. Have sorted out my initial railway needs, now just need to wait a while to order the rail.

In the meantime I've had a "play" with my existing layout before it meets its maker. It has major limitations but I learned a lot building it. I will PM you a couple of pics...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The joys of marking-up, then cutting timber and plywood. Is it the smell or just the satisfaction of a target achieved/job well done? I think I can begin to understand why my dad was a joiner for over 40 years!

Bit of thinking required now for the angled-backscene "mounts". May have a (very boring) photo or two in a few days!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Just caught up with your thread. That is some impressive wood work you have there.

Funnily enough, I have done something fairly similar with my double garage (link in signature), although I didn't document it quite as well as you as it coincided with lack of digital camera.

I expect with retirement looming you will be making much quicker progress than me.

I look forward to future developments. Keep up the good work :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just caught up with your thread. That is some impressive wood work you have there.

Funnily enough, I have done something fairly similar with my double garage (link in signature), although I didn't document it quite as well as you as it coincided with lack of digital camera.

I expect with retirement looming you will be making much quicker progress than me.

I look forward to future developments. Keep up the good work :)

Cheers Brian,

I love building work and set myself a target - knowing I was retiring - of getting the garage converted and to get started on the subframe by the end of 2012. So I'm 7 months ahead of myself already!!

Nevermind, progress should be fun and I'll continue posting photos when the next "exciting" thing happens!

All the best,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Every screw or nail is another step in the right direction!

Quite true Andy, but I wish I could go a bit faster. Nevermind - anticipation is a great thing!

Btw, I've sent you some info. on my rock faces.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

A touch of conjunctivitis is NOT a good idea!! It's a bit difficult marking-out and cutting wood when you can't see what it is you are doing!!

Grrrrr ... "eyes stopped play" for a few days.

Jeff

A touch of conjunctivitis is NOT a good idea!! It's a bit difficult marking-out and cutting wood when you can't see what it is you are doing!!

Grrrrr ... "eyes stopped play" for a few days.

Jeff

keep cutting but KEEEEEEEEEP COUNTING THOSES FINGERS, ha ha. Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

keep cutting but KEEEEEEEEEP COUNTING THOSES FINGERS, ha ha.

Sorry for the delay in replying Andy, but it's been difficult logging on and typing with only one finger. I'm seeing the plastic surgeon on Monday! Lol! Thanks for the humour...! :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the delay in replying Andy, but it's been difficult logging on and typing with only one finger. I'm seeing the plastic surgeon on Monday! Lol! Thanks for the humour...! :jester:

Jeff

Don't worry Jeff - they managed to sew some of my dad's fingers back on (albeit a bit crooked) back in the 1960s so I'm sure they're better at it now ;) (hint - be very careful when using an electric plane)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Jeff - they managed to sew some of my dad's fingers back on (albeit a bit crooked) back in the 1960s so I'm sure they're better at it now ;) (hint - be very careful when using an electric plane)

Mike, I really must control my urge to perform joinery when I can't see what I'm doing. And no, there was no alcohol interest there!!

Seriously, I'm trying to arrange a backscene "stage" - ply boards on the wall on which I can put some kind of images (in the future) - but this conjunctivitis has forestalled the process.

At least it's got me a day off work where I can plan out the track order. I've just sorted out the "skeleton" Peco 75 I'm going to use for the initial part of the fiddle yard I'll put in. Overall, with the main section SMP/Marcway it hasn't turned out as expensive as I'd feared. One of my (retired) friends said "You are always in such a hurry - slow down or you'll have the whole project done before you retire". Not quite (I retire on July 20), but this project IS supposed to last 2-3 years!

Cheers,

Jeff

Mike, I really must control my urge to perform joinery when I can't see what I'm doing. And no, there was no alcohol interest there!!

Seriously, I'm trying to arrange a backscene "stage" - ply boards on the wall on which I can put some kind of images (in the future) - but this conjunctivitis has forestalled the process.

At least it's got me a day off work where I can plan out the track order. I've just sorted out the "skeleton" Peco 75 I'm going to use for the initial part of the fiddle yard I'll put in. Overall, with the main section SMP/Marcway it hasn't turned out as expensive as I'd feared. One of my (retired) friends said "You are always in such a hurry - slow down or you'll have the whole project done before you retire". Not quite (I retire on July 20), but this project IS supposed to last 2-3 years!

Cheers,

Jeff

Counting the days to the start of the rest of your modelling, :no: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Counting the days to the start of the rest of your modelling, :no: :sungum:

Andy, you have no idea how close to the truth your last statement is. Sounds sad, but I've got the days after 20th July pencilled in for a variety of stuff - including ordering track and going for a few journeys on the S&C for a bit of reconnaisance! Hope the weather improves, mind, or I'll get blown off Ribblehead Viaduct. What a way to go!

Anyway, hours and hours of fun to be had - not least in the planning. I've spent a good few hours thinking of the best ways to fit the backscene - a certain Mr Iain Rice's books have been useful here.

Btw, when are you moving to your new "layout paradise"?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, I've actually done something today!

I've cut 4 of the baseboard sections. These are shown sat on the subframe, though the boards will eventually be 25cm above the frame on risers.

Not very exciting but at least it's progress!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-17854000-1340552779_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-78855700-1340552814_thumb.jpg

• Like 1