Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've started to draw out the inner viaduct face onto the 3mm MDF. Bit nerve-wracking, as no matter how much you concentrate it is SO easy to make a mistake.

Once drawn, I'll use a sharp craft knife to cut the fascia out.

For anybody interested, I'll draw out the plan (one section) on paper when I get chance.

Jeff

post-13778-0-11934200-1341680637_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Last report of the day as my concentration is starting to waver! Not good when you are using a brand-new, razor-sharp Stanley knife.

So here are pics of the inside viaduct fascia and the result of 20 minutes cutting-out with the knife. Surgery will resume tomorrow - hopefully I won't kill the patient!!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-88913900-1341685624_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-53781700-1341685640_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The intended prototype structure is a real hybrid of construction materials, patching, repairs and presumably strengthening over its 110 years' service. I'll edit this post to include a photo link when I can find a decent one that shows the apparent random nature of the beast.

Hi Chard,

If you want a viaduct with mixed materials how about Yarm viaduct? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yarm_Viaduct.jpg

The Northern arches where it crosses the River Tees are stone, the rest of it is brick with stone 'details' and a couple of the arches have been strengthened by building new 'inner' arches out of brick. Oh and the guard rails and reinforcing plates are cast iron!

Al

Edited by Schubert

• RMweb Premium

Yarm viaduct is pretty spectacular, especially as it towers over the town.

The viaduct was designed by one Thomas Grainger - he must have been a fine fellow as he has the same surname as me. 'CHARD will love him as he hailed from Edinburgh!

In the meantime, I'll concentrate on S&C-related issues and not get sidelined...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

More cutting out - arches have been cut close to the true arch line - I need some sandpaper to smooth the mdf to the correct shape (and I haven't got any!).

Jeff

post-13778-0-67216600-1341749759_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62772900-1341749775_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

OK, the whole fascia has been cut off the sheet and "fitted" - with one screw - to the viaduct skeleton to give an impression of what it will look like.

The drawing-out and cutting-out took about 6 hours. Now to draw the rear side!

Jeff

post-13778-0-68668800-1341750105_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-51470900-1341750119_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The curve of the viaduct was the way to go Jeff, and I am sure that now the hard bit is done it was worth while as it will give another dimension to the whole layout. all the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mike,

I've made it 30 feet, which I know is overscale. Photos of single-track Ribblehead come in at about 15 feet, so I reckoned on about 25 feet for a double. I could aspect-ratio-scale the vertical and horizontals of the fascia, but with 6 foot spacing between 4' 8" tracks (total = 15'4"), I allowed another 6' or so to either side. Bit wide, but looks good to my eye (and my viaduct is freelance, I've used the prototype as guidance only).

Good to hear from you.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy and Jam - thanks for the positive comments. I may have made the trackbed a little too wide - deliberately - but the curve that you lads "suggested" has been worth the effort!! And guess what - it's only taken 10 hours so far and I've really enjoyed myself!

I need an excuse to build another one!

Jeff

Looking good Jeff. You don't need an excuse to build another one, isn't there a branch line in front of it?

P.S. the templates are being produced, in my current mental state I had forgotten about them, sorry. I'll have plenty of time to work on them though as the nice man with the sick notes has told me I can't go back to work for another two weeks!!! :-)

Al

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Al. Just as you go back to work, I will retire! :scratchhead:

Yes, there is a smaller viaduct for the branch. I will design it a bit differently - narrower, of course (single line), 4 arches and slightly different styling. This is getting addictive!

Look forward to the templates - when the viaduct is made I will have a good idea of riser height, so your templot work will come in handy...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I've been enjoying following your progress, mate and you're doing really well!

The lovely curved viaduct is looking most impressive already! If you've not already done the sanding on the inside of the viaduct arches, may I suggest getting or making a sanding drum to fit into your (speed adjustable!) electric drill - it would speed up the process immensely, I'm sure (just as I'm sure you would wear a breathing mask for that!).

I've been rather sidetracked with 'Dent' but I'll get back to it before too long!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice John. Ironically, my trusty old drill looks like it's dying on me - so it may be time for yet another power tool purchase!

Will be good to see you giving Dent a going over. Just remember - as you say in your blog - that this is a long-term hobby that enhances sanity. Apart from a lovely woman there's nothing quite like a few hours wracking your brains to solve a problem or to construct something to be proud of. I appreciate your comments John and I think it was a great idea of yours to set up this S&C subsection.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

I've made it 30 feet, which I know is overscale. Photos of single-track Ribblehead come in at about 15 feet,

But Ribblehead was built as double track, unless I've been smoking some wacky tabbacy? (not allowed to, I'm a sailor...)

"A partial solution was to single the line across the viaduct in 1985, preventing two trains from crossing simultaneously." (wiki, not the most reliable source, but a easy to get one)

So somewhere in your scaling, you have made a mistake...as it would have to be at least 6+6+5+5=22 ft wide at track height. I'd think that a curved viaduct would be a bit wider, depending on how you laid it out. I understand normal full sized practice is to make each arch straight, with an additional segment on the long side above the pillar, and then use extra width to slew the track. Remembering that in full size, the curve radius would be much larger than on your model... (5 chains=1.32m=guarded "dead slow" track...)

• RMweb Premium

But Ribblehead was built as double track, unless I've been smoking some wacky tabbacy? (not allowed to, I'm a sailor...)

"A partial solution was to single the line across the viaduct in 1985, preventing two trains from crossing simultaneously." (wiki, not the most reliable source, but a easy to get one)

So somewhere in your scaling, you have made a mistake...as it would have to be at least 6+6+5+5=22 ft wide at track height. I'd think that a curved viaduct would be a bit wider, depending on how you laid it out. I understand normal full sized practice is to make each arch straight, with an additional segment on the long side above the pillar, and then use extra width to slew the track. Remembering that in full size, the curve radius would be much larger than on your model... (5 chains=1.32m=guarded "dead slow" track...)

Thanks James. I'm actually pleased with what you've written, if 22 feet was enlarged for a curved structure. I've allowed 30 feet, so that sounds reasonable.

The other point is that I'm not modelling a prototype in a slavish way. My use of Ribblehead was to get a feeling for size and style - especially the arch angle, which only extends through an arc of about 160 degrees (as the curved section) above the piers. I've omitted the variable pier width, though if I was building something with 10 or more arches I'd certainly add that in.

Kirkby Stephen West has been superbly modelled in-line with prototype by a few groups, including Ian Macdonald. I've taken liberties and added in a few features with the track, so as long as you guys keep me in the right "ball park" I will be happy.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

For anybody that's interested, I've enclosed a diagram showing the dimensions I've used for the inner fascia of the curved viaduct.

These are not meant to be prototypical - they seem to produce a structure that looks half-decent! I hope!

Jeff

post-13778-0-45252700-1341829082_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Andy and Jam - thanks for the positive comments. I may have made the trackbed a little too wide - deliberately - but the curve that you lads "suggested" has been worth the effort!! And guess what - it's only taken 10 hours so far and I've really enjoyed myself!

I need an excuse to build another one!

Jeff

Looking for an excuse to build another Viaduct Jeff, well, how about a hole in the wall and a loop around the garden for thoses nice summer evenings we get in Britain? What could be better than a nice cold glass of whatever is your fancy, and sitting in the chair watching the trains go by? How about that 9f on a 40 wagon freight for starters, now there is a reason in itself for another viaduct, ha ha ha ha ha ha :no:
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Andy, a 9F with 40 wagons sounds excellent! I think I can realistically model 20 here, though there is nothing to stop a larger train "passing through", is there?

There is something very pleasing about an object moving around a wide curve. Especially a slow-moving freight!

I'm thinking of shifting the "river" so it flows across the bottom of the hillside and under another viaduct at bottom right (if you look at my plans). I'll draw it up and put it on the thread later so people can give their viewpoint - it's just an excuse to scratchbuild another structure!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Yes, Andy, a 9F with 40 wagons sounds excellent! I think I can realistically model 20 here, though there is nothing to stop a larger train "passing through", is there?

There is something very pleasing about an object moving around a wide curve. Especially a slow-moving freight!

I'm thinking of shifting the "river" so it flows across the bottom of the hillside and under another viaduct at bottom right (if you look at my plans). I'll draw it up and put it on the thread later so people can give their viewpoint - it's just an excuse to scratchbuild another structure!!

Jeff

Good job I don't live nearer as I am a BAD INFLUENCE :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Good job I don't live nearer as I am a BAD INFLUENCE :nono:

Quite ok, Andy. Keep going - I like your "suggestions"... nothing wrong with a bit of imagination and "flights of fancy"... :no:

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

A couple of things Jeff -

1. The river, love it! (with a small waterfall/rapids somewhere perhaps?).

2. Viaduct dimensions - with a spot of rounding up you are looking for 5ft+ 5ft+6ft+5ft+5ft between walls on straight track = 26ft (minus just over 1ft to allow for my rounding the numbers up to 5ft in four instances). That is on straight track but the two 'outer' '5ft' dimensions (actually 4ft 9.75inches from inner rail edge to face of sidewall) have to be increased on curved structures to maintain the requisite clearance from the overthrow, both centre and end throw, of vehicles on curved track.

These are 1950 figures and would probably be a bit less on older structures but they're a good guide. Similarly due to the tighter radius the distance each side of the track will be greater on the single track viaduct - unless you are limiting the length of vehicles passing over it.

And that is of course the numbers from the real world, in a model world all that's essential is to stop overthrow on vehicles hitting each other of the bridge walls ;)

• RMweb Premium

Mike, I'm delighted you like the river modifications - as I'm keen on the idea too. Method in the MADNESS - let's me build another viaduct!

Re. the viaduct width... I thought that maybe I'd made it too wide at 30 feet, so maybe not. I appreciate the info. from you and James ... that's what this Forum is for.

Best wishes,

Jeff