Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

A typical S&C viaduct would come in at around 100 feet, or 40cm in OO. I can't quite manage that, so I've compromised at 75 feet. So the top of the baseboards will be set in line with the top of the viaduct trackbed at 30cm above the subframe (then there's another cm or so for the parapet on the top).

I've a clear plan for building the structure, including typical S&C "wedged piers and non-semicircular arches,,,, I'm basing it on Ribblehead, with curvature!

Cheers Andy!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

post-13778-0-82972800-1341426974_thumb.jpg

I've got one of those mugs!

It's eerie how much we have in common. We've both got one of those mugs, we've both converted our double garages, we're both using smp track and we're both going to have curved viaducts.

I also have a physics background (Exeter uni graduate).

Spooky :O

Edited by Taz

• RMweb Premium

Hello Brian,

I often find it's a very small world! Next, we will both be claiming credit for "discovering" the Higgs boson!! :no:

I'm afraid I couldn't stop myself, planned out the viaduct build, then cutting just seemed to happen automatically... lol. I need to get some 3mm MDF at the weekend, then heaven knows what'll happen!

Btw, I always enjoyed my visits to Exeter, though I haven't been down there since the late 80s (I used to have relatives in Somerset). I did my Physics degree at Leeds, PhD with London, ended up working in Oxford then I'd had enough and went into teaching. Great subject Physics, though I like Chemistry just as much!

Keep drinking from the mug and working in the double-garage!!

Jeff

ps My best friend came from Plymouth and we stayed at her dads in 1999 for the Total Eclipse ... cloudy, of course, during totality. Nice area of the country, but a 6 hour drive from "up north" in the barbarian wastes where I come from!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

See, there you go; I'm living in Oxford at the moment, working here as well (I work from home but still....). Charles Street, just off Iffley Road, if you know it. Plus, I'm a fellow Cumbrian (although my birth certificate says Westmorland rather than bloody Lancashire......) :)

• RMweb Premium

See, there you go; I'm living in Oxford at the moment, working here as well (I work from home but still....). Charles Street, just off Iffley Road, if you know it. Plus, I'm a fellow Cumbrian (although my birth certificate says Westmorland rather than bloody Lancashire......) :)

Hi Jason,

Yes, I remember Iffley Road - though I've not lived in Oxford since 1986! I lived at the bottom of Botley Hill in the west of Oxford, but used to frequent the Headington area quite a bit. Was in Oxford from 1979 to 1986. Last visit was in 1999, to review old haunts!

I was born in Barrow - so I'm technically a Lancastrian. However, we were booted into Cumbria in 1973. Westmorland - so you're a genuine Cumbrian!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Two photos - take your pick which version you prefer! - to show the scale of the main viaduct.

Base and top (need trimming at the ends for correct length) with relevant 29.3cm 12mm ply spacers - for 6 arches there will be 7 of these... Freshly cut, should be fun fitting them in the correct positions.

Jeff

post-13778-0-13763300-1341506436_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-43689500-1341506453_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

Oh familiar turf there, sir!

Reminder to self - get out in the garage tonight now the weather's a wee bit better and get some shots of the Ale Water viaduct (Stobs) to share.

• RMweb Premium

Reminder to self - get out in the garage tonight now the weather's a wee bit better and get some shots of the Ale Water viaduct (Stobs) to share.

That would be good to see. I'll get a stash of 3mm and 6mm ply / mdf at the weekend and start doing the front and back. I've just looked at my comments from 5 days back. I'm not supposed to be doing this until August! Bloody hobby is addictive - or is it the smell of freshly cut timber?!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Al, resistance is indeed futile - especially with all the ideas we end up discussing...you are quite a catalyst! I think you could even convince a Yorkshireman to part with his life savings!! :jester:

How are the Templot turnouts coming along?

Jeff

Hello Brian,

I often find it's a very small world! Next, we will both be claiming credit for "discovering" the Higgs boson!! :no:

I'm afraid I couldn't stop myself, planned out the viaduct build, then cutting just seemed to happen automatically... lol. I need to get some 3mm MDF at the weekend, then heaven knows what'll happen!

Btw, I always enjoyed my visits to Exeter, though I haven't been down there since the late 80s (I used to have relatives in Somerset). I did my Physics degree at Leeds, PhD with London, ended up working in Oxford then I'd had enough and went into teaching. Great subject Physics, though I like Chemistry just as much!

Keep drinking from the mug and working in the double-garage!!

Jeff

ps My best friend came from Plymouth and we stayed at her dads in 1999 for the Total Eclipse ... cloudy, of course, during totality. Nice area of the country, but a 6 hour drive from "up north" in the barbarian wastes where I come from!

That even mooooooooooooor soooooooooooooooooky I was born in Plymouth and my mum is a Lancashire lass, born in Blackburn, THE WORLD GETS SMALLER ha ha, BTW the basics for the viaduct look and sound very techical, my prefered method is to grab a couple of bits of timber and see if I can make them line up, bang in a couple of nails after sticking it together with my hot glus gun. If it lines up, great, if not pack a bit of wood under the low bit and keep trying untill it is close enough. WORKS FOR ME EVERY TIME ha ha :nono: The trains fall off but wot the heck ! No wonder my woodwork teacher went bald at a very early age, and my day who was a master joiner and cabinet maker gave up on me! catch up later, all the best Andy.
  • Like 1

By no means there yet, but getting there. Note SMP draped coquettishly over the top...

post-7083-0-95149800-1341566907.jpg

• Like 2

By no means there yet, but getting there. Note SMP draped coquettishly over the top...

post-7083-0-95149800-1341566907.jpg

Nice work Chard, the proportions look spot on. There's nothing worse (to my eyes anyway) than a viaduct that's too low, where the railway would probably have built an embankment instead.

Al

Nice work Chard, the proportions look spot on. There's nothing worse (to my eyes anyway) than a viaduct that's too low, where the railway would probably have built an embankment instead.

Al

Aye, cheers Al. She's scaled from Stobs on the Waverley Route (is there any other? - okay I'll give you lads the S&C >wink<) albeit I need to thin the piers on the inner elevation, they're slightly over-fussy at the moment.

Little did I realise when I bestowed the Ale Water name (using my semi-plausible alternative WR backstory) that the WR also has a structure rejoicing in that moniker too! Albeit that's a rather more camera shy subject.

The issue that I face here is that applying the surface finishes will have to be carried out in situ, and I haven't started the limbo dancing classes yet....

• RMweb Premium

That even mooooooooooooor soooooooooooooooooky I was born in Plymouth and my mum is a Lancashire lass, born in Blackburn, THE WORLD GETS SMALLER ha ha, BTW the basics for the viaduct look and sound very techical, my prefered method is to grab a couple of bits of timber and see if I can make them line up, bang in a couple of nails after sticking it together with my hot glus gun. If it lines up, great, if not pack a bit of wood under the low bit and keep trying untill it is close enough. WORKS FOR ME EVERY TIME ha ha :nono: The trains fall off but wot the heck ! No wonder my woodwork teacher went bald at a very early age, and my day who was a master joiner and cabinet maker gave up on me! catch up later, all the best Andy.

Blimey, Andy...I didn't know you were so advanced in the woodwork department. A very direct, to the point method. Might give it a try - lump hammer at the ready!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photo 'CHARD. Very nice. If you have any more, please post them.

I'm hoping to get a fair bit done this weekend, so will keep you informed on progress.

Your last point is a good one - I'm hoping to avoid in situ work. Are you using plasticard or clay?

Jeff

Thanks for the photo 'CHARD. Very nice. If you have any more, please post them.

I'm hoping to get a fair bit done this weekend, so will keep you informed on progress.

Your last point is a good one - I'm hoping to avoid in situ work. Are you using plasticard or clay?

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, the trusty Nokia E5's lens was overly forgiving to be honest! I have a load of shots somewhere that I was planning to blog but can't for the life of me find at the moment (just as well, as I'm at work!).

The intended prototype structure is a real hybrid of construction materials, patching, repairs and presumably strengthening over its 110 years' service. I'll edit this post to include a photo link when I can find a decent one that shows the apparent random nature of the beast.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks 'CHARD. Fortunately, I've just got home from work and I'm heading into the bunker for a bit more woodwork and preparation.

I need to make sure I get all the pier supports in the correct positions and plan out the mdf marking-up.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ummmmm.....

Just spent a very frustrating couple of hours marking-up the curved bases, ready for connecting (maybe tomorrow). My sketch measurements were correct, but b****r me if I didn't keep measuring incorrectly or marking out the wrong bits!! Done now. Will get some small screws, a new countersink and some more PVA tomorrow and - hopefully - move on to the next stage.

Andy - maybe I should omit all the technical crap and just swing the hammer like you do!!!!

I will draw up some of my sketched diagrams, with relevant dimensions, scan them and post them on here in case anyone finds them useful. Bear with me!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Nope, don't have a cup like that ;)

Looking good so far.

Ah, there's method in my madness Brian...deliberately changed the cup to see if you had one too!!! (the cup has a newt perched on the nose of a dog... the caption reads "You can't teach a dog newt tricks") :jester:

I lost my countersink and had to improvise - bloody screws wouldn't sit deep enough whatever I tried. But got there in the end.

Bought several sheets of 3mm MDF this morning (none in B&Q, but good old Wickes saved the day - again). Will start to draw out the arch-pier outlines onto the MDF later today.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

For mine, I used 1/2" styrofoam for both the supports and the deck. Right now, it languishes as it has for the last several years, with 4/5 arches of card stuck onto the sides, but little else done to it. I'm still working on getting trains to run, so I haven't done a lot on making the scenery match what I have in mind.

It does span a 6' long gully though, but it is straight not curved, and then ends in a 36" radius (or so) curve, as the wall of my house imposed a 90% diversion in course towards Appleby :)

7188069632_a45d0414c9_s.jpg

(taken about 6 years ago !)

My excuses for the last 2 years of slow progress are presently playing with Lego down here with me. (the two boys)

James

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

Well, your "excuse" is a very good one. However, if your boys get the chance to "play trains" with you, I'm sure you will find their delight a source of inspiration!! Even if you have to do, not a 90 degree, but a 180 degree U-turn to get off Lego and back to locos!! (Wonderful stuff, Lego!!).

Pete (Trisonic) in New York is a big fan of styrofoam. It is surprisingly robust, but I love messing about with wood!! (As you can tell).

Best wishes,

Jeff