If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I'll graft the smoke from the Bulleid onto the Ivatt pic., add a stone wall and abandoned hut or two, and we'll be quids in.

Bodgit does add a bit of je ne sais quois to the thread, it'll be because of his upbringing. But we make allowances...    or is that for me...?

• RMweb Premium

Andy, if you browse this...

I've set-up 4 trains with entirely weathered wagons and I'll take some pics and post them on here. It'll give me something to do in between fixing the cottage and painting the plaster on the cutting section.

I think there'll be:

A 4F pulling 13 x 16t minerals + 5 21t Iron ore tipplers

A 3F pulling 15 or so mixed vent vans

A Black 5 pulling 17 milk tank wagons

A 4F pulling 8 or so cattle wagons + 6 plank wagons

Just a distraction from work, but - what the hell.

I know you are busy so I'll try and get them on by noon.

Jeff

• Like 1

I'm not sure about Rob mentioning Andy and Jenny Sequois in the same sentence. I certain that Andy is a perfect gentleman with the young ladies! :angel:

Looking forward to the pics Jeff! Right! I'm off to watch a film about Union Pacific 'Big Boy's'. Now there's a loco they could have used on the Settle and Carlisle! :locomotive:

Bill

How can they have needed 70mph 250-ton 4-8-8-4s when they had 3Fs to do the shunt at Kirkby Luneside?  ?  Mind you there is definite evidence that a Beyer Garratt did the job once in 1951.   I have photographs, you know.

Yours,

Honest Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Only five hoppers Jeff; What happened to number six? Did one of the couplings pop out, simple suer-glue job if it did.

By the way, the 21 tonners were for transporting coal, not ore.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Only five hoppers Jeff; What happened to number six? Did one of the couplings pop out, simple suer-glue job if it did.

By the way, the 21 tonners were for transporting coal, not ore.

Sorry to confuse.... I was referring to 13 x 16 tonne minerals and 5 x 27 tonne Iron Ore tipplers. Got the 27 and 21 mixed up!

Photos later.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I will be back after Club tonight to have a look, also I will try and do a Video tomorrow of the 3F and Super D with Locolines sound.

Bodgit :sungum:

I'm sure the video will be a lot more exciting than my photos! The freight trains are more impressive to watch in motion than on a still picture. 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Final batch. First 2 pics show a set of coal hoppers, recently acquired from Jason:

post-13778-0-69964300-1382447332_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-33535600-1382447339_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic where I tried to be clever and ended up with part of me.... ignore that bit .... viaduct looks busy!

post-13778-0-57379600-1382447348_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

Great pics Jeff. There's something about a long rake of weathered wagons that just makes them look more real.

It's also nice to see the current state of play of the different areas of KL. It looks like it's starting to come together.

• RMweb Premium

Great pics Jeff. There's something about a long rake of weathered wagons that just makes them look more real.

It's also nice to see the current state of play of the different areas of KL. It looks like it's starting to come together.

Hi Kev,

If I could motivate myself to work as hard as I did a year ago then progress would be very rapid!

Still, it's nice to set up a few trains, rather than just the individual locos, and run them around. Today's activities did make me aware of one problem I wasn't previously aware of, so that was useful.

Watch this space....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I NEED A SUPER WOW BUTTON :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Hahaaaaa..... I know you're a sucker for train photos - well, so am I!

I did actually DO something useful today. Painted the cutting area (plaster) with a brown base paint, so vegetation can sprout in a couple of days when it's dried out.

Definitely (I've been saying this since Saturday) get the cottage in place tomorrow and sort out a track (or "tarmac"/metalled road) across the bridges.

Then I can show you some more pics!

Jeff

• Like 1

If I could motivate myself to work as hard as I did a year ago then progress would be very rapid!

I think it's a mojo issue. When we've got it progress is swift and lots get's done. But when it not quite there things slow to a crawl.

I'm currently in a slow spot myself. The wood for my baseboards has been in the garage since July. They'll get built eventually.

Awesome stuff love the pictures although I'm a br blue kinda guy I've always fancied a steam era layout excellent pictures the layouts really coming on love the wd and coal hoppers in the viaduct it 's really quite an authentic scene

How the cutting going I've just orderd some mod roc some rock moulds and some plaster so should be giving that a go at the weekend

Awesome stuff

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Awesome stuff love the pictures although I'm a br blue kinda guy I've always fancied a steam era layout excellent pictures the layouts really coming on love the wd and coal hoppers in the viaduct it 's really quite an authentic scene

How the cutting going I've just orderd some mod roc some rock moulds and some plaster so should be giving that a go at the weekend

Awesome stuff

Brian

Cheers Brian.

KL is actually set between 1958 and 1968, allowing the kop out of both steam and diesel.

I've quite a number of green diesels lined up. Maybe next time I'll throw in a Peaks or 25. Then there's the new 40s when Bachmann release them.

Good to hear you've ordered the mod roc and rock moulds. Btw, Amazon is as cheap as anywhere for mod roc!!

Jeff

Brilliant photos Jeff, simply inspiring.

When all the myriad details like grass and a nice plain back screen are in place, it will be magic.

The tanks trains and the 3F and 4F photos are great, you have a lovely eye for photos.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant photos Jeff, simply inspiring.

When all the myriad details like grass and a nice plain back screen are in place, it will be magic.

The tanks trains and the 3F and 4F photos are great, you have a lovely eye for photos.

Rob

Very kind, coming from the master photographer!

I'm a bit limited by my ability to get to the angles I want and the lighting can be tricky. There's also a lot of background rubbish at the moment - as used to build the layout!

I'm also using a simple point-and-shoot camera. Oh for the days when I could fiddle with depth of field, aperture and shutter priority etc. One of these days - maybe when the layout is about done, I'll buy a DSLR and see what I come up with.

Whatever people say, it DOES make a HUGE difference when the locos and rolling stock are weathered to some degree. If I put a pristine 9F (eg. my Evening Star) with the mineral wagons it just wouldn't look right!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff I have just popped in for some late night inspiration and a FIX before bed time :no: , what no more pics, :O

I'm off then, back in the morning :stinker:

Bodge :beee:

Sorry Andy - though I'm just going into the bunker to have a look at the cutting and bridges. I may have to post a pic for you to peruse in the morning!!

Jeff

• Like 1