Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Do any of these have sound. Jeff?

Excellent-looking, I like the green era.  (age effect)   blue era  was when BR was in DECLINE   but then it's not as if everything was brilliant in 1960-70! Just that I was a teenager.... 

None of the diesels shown has sound, Rob. I've 3 sound-fitted steamers (Black 5, Brit and Patriot) and a blue 37 with a sound chip. I've 2 40s on order, one with sound - due Jan 14 at the latest estimate.

I'm a green diesel fan - which makes me wonder why a quarter of my diesel fleet is in BR blue?!

Jeff

oh yes, it's an 01   sorry, wires crossed all freight engines look the same really.. <g>

edit, and yes I bought it, mostly because it has an heroic coal load on the tender.  Don't see that modelled very much.

Didn't think these engines made it over to KL-land, but since when has that stopped me...

I have seen some photos of over-coaling, so this caught my eye. Also it's a superb model.

post-7929-0-03928400-1382648252.jpg

post-7929-0-12553400-1382648271.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

None of the diesels shown has sound, Rob. I've 3 sound-fitted steamers (Black 5, Brit and Patriot) and a blue 37 with a sound chip. I've 2 40s on order, one with sound - due Jan 14 at the latest estimate.

I'm a green diesel fan - which makes me wonder why a quarter of my diesel fleet is in BR blue?!

Jeff

Ah, the class 40 with sound will be nice, but I have too many BR steam locos to photograph,  more in the Lounge probably to come, a man needs to keep a balance in life you know...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff I have just had a game of catch up, great stuff mate and I love the pics of those Green boxes, some great pics mate, :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: thanks.

Bodge :sungum:

Hi Andy.

I thought you'd enjoy the pics of the green diesels. The quality of the weathering doesn't show too well on the photos, but there are a lot of deft touches. And I didn't get them TOO "cacked up", just nicely dirty!

I've spent over an hour this evening running them around KL, while I considered the future plans I PM'd you about.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the class 40 with sound will be nice, but I have too many BR steam locos to photograph,  more in the Lounge probably to come, a man needs to keep a balance in life you know...

Yes, the 40s are among my favourite diesel classes, so I'll have 2 in green, one with and one without sound.

That O1 is a really lovely model. The coal load is unusual, but it certainly displays its hardworking history "on its chest". I think you must have won the NZ lottery, the number of models you've been buying!

Jeff

• Like 1

Well, on the subject of hard-working, I have put a pic in the Lounge which shows a 1950s Midland cross-country train with the Ivatt 4MT.

As to buying models, I do indulge myself a bit, but it is quite inexpensive compared to the hobby of, say, classic cars.

Morning Jeff, I'm glad you had a good running session, I had a little PLAY on Wednesday for about half an hour but its not the same as turning on the controller, lighting up the pipe and sitting back in a comfey armchair watching the trains roll by.

I am out all day today and I will be back tonight for the latest installment.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I'm glad you had a good running session, I had a little PLAY on Wednesday for about half an hour but its not the same as turning on the controller, lighting up the pipe and sitting back in a comfey armchair watching the trains roll by.

I am out all day today and I will be back tonight for the latest installment.

This evening will probably be a good time to look. I've got some plaster drying on top of the overbridges. This will need to be painted and one or two extras added. I should manage the basics and get some pics up by about 8pm. I found a tiny amount of brown paint, so I'm hoping that will be sufficient to do the job for today!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Now then Gina, the bridgework is coming on well, but I'm wondering if you have enough hoof prints in the mud!!

That Rat with the illuminated headcode box has got me thinking about your signals, I take it you will be having semaphores, but are you going to get the lamps working? I have found several articles in the latest round of scanning about using fibre-optics to do this job...

Might be worth thinking about lighting before you make the station just in case you will add the station lamps.....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Now then Gina, the bridgework is coming on well, but I'm wondering if you have enough hoof prints in the mud!!

That Rat with the illuminated headcode box has got me thinking about your signals, I take it you will be having semaphores, but are you going to get the lamps working? I have found several articles in the latest round of scanning about using fibre-optics to do this job...

Might be worth thinking about lighting before you make the station just in case you will add the station lamps.....

Andy G

I'll be fitting a few station and road lamps - for general illumination. not too many though.

Signals will be semaphore - initially just planted in place. I'll worry about some kind of control at a later date.

As for hoof prints, you are probably right. What you don't know is that the cattle in the KL area of the fells wear special slippers when leaving the fields. It prevents a condition called "mudonus hoofrotterus" (fungal in nature) taking hold. A by-product is less than the usual number of hoof prints!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's the latest batch of pics....

General views before vegetation started to grow:

post-13778-0-14188300-1382718994_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-46062600-1382719003_thumb.jpg

Andy P uttered the g**** word and little shoots started to sprout. These pics were taken just after applying the base coat of a mix of flocks: WS Earth blend/Green blend and Earth fine turf.

It'll be left like this for about 4 hours and the surplus vacuumed off. I tried to get a close up of the tractor grooves, but the hoof marks don't stand out so well:

post-13778-0-39576000-1382719011_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-33525800-1382719018_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-46420500-1382719097_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, that first shot above has some really atmospheric patches of light and shade up on tut fell... amazing. It's also amazing how a bit of green transforms things, that bridges are looking great now!

Andy G

oh yes, it's an 01   sorry, wires crossed all freight engines look the same really.. <g>

edit, and yes I bought it, mostly because it has an heroic coal load on the tender.  Don't see that modelled very much.

Didn't think these engines made it over to KL-land, but since when has that stopped me...

I have seen some photos of over-coaling, so this caught my eye. Also it's a superb model.

attachicon.gif01_4abc_r800.jpg

attachicon.gif01_3a_r800.jpg

ROB, TAKE OFF THAT FRONT HOOK :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :O

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, that first shot above has some really atmospheric patches of light and shade up on tut fell... amazing. It's also amazing how a bit of green transforms things, that bridges are looking great now!

Andy G

You are very aware of the lighting, Andy. I agree, it makes a huge difference to the level of detail visible and hence the clarity. Glad you like the bridges - they need another layer of vegetation, but not too much or it starts to be over-fussy.

I've just checked my photos - it's only a week since I started the cutting. I was supposed to have that cottage in place by now....oh, dear!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My latest quandry is sort of linked to front couplings, namely removing this horrendous lump of crap metal from the 8F's pony truck. Even then, those guard irons look comical - time to see if anyone does an etched brass pony truck?

8F005_zps4749a5ff.jpg

What I have been working on today when I've had a spare minute or two - another Parkside 21 ton mineral wagon. Chickened out of using the Bill Bedford sprung axleguards this time, as it looked like I'd have to replace the floor (there is a lot of moulding underneath there; unnecessary moulding).

8F006_zpsc0d020c1.jpg

Edit: Looks like Comet do one that is suitable. I also need to fit the front steps or get some etched replacements

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff the pics of the hillside is bob on mate, I love the tyre marks in the mud, I will be back later for more pics of the Peak coming out of the Branch line Tunnel.

Andy :sungum:

Ok, it's a deal. I'll detour the Peak onto the branch with the coal hoppers behind it... Pics by about 9 - when I vacuum the surplus flock up (not sheep!!)

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason - seeing that close-up of the front of the 8F reminds me that I need to fit the smokebox door handle. I've got the one you sent me and I've also got 3 tiny brass bits in a kit from Peter's Spares. I think I'll need a microscope to join them together.

Best of luck with the pony truck! Is it metal or a lump of plastic (that you could trim?)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Solid metal unfortunately. I know that Tim trimmed his down with a piercing saw but said that it took him ages. I quite fancy replacing the pony truck on the Ivatt 2MT with an etched brass one as well, so my order both at the same time.