Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I'm rather tempted to post a photo of Jimmy Page on stage whilst Jeff's away, in response to that last post... :jester:

Go on then! I'm a huge Led Zep fan, so I'll forgive you if you do!

In the meantime, I'll see if I can get a couple of new pics to show...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here you are - with and without flash, take your pic(k)...lol!

post-13778-0-80968100-1355782144_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-18749100-1355782159_thumb.jpg

The side wings need rubbing down to the correct size and cleaning up. They are simply leaning on the portal here, to give an impression of what it will look like.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And to think that a while ago, you weren't sure about scratchbuilding, Jeff. It really is so much more satisfying to create something yourself rather than buy in, and you most definitely have the skills to create wonderful structures. You'll be getting roped in on the BCB project yourself if you keep on at this standard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jason. You are right - it's certainly fun. I enjoy trying to reduce a complicated structure down to simple parts that can be put together to produce the whole.

Just about to cut two outer wings to "thicken up" the outer part of each flank.

Jeff

Nice one Jeff, like Jason says it gives one a sense of satisfaction in building it all yourself and like me you may think 'I could have done that bit a bit better' or maybe you don't, Whatever it looks good and I would be happy to have something similar, now what sort of tunnels were around my area?

Look forward to the next stages - you are taking it with you to your Dads to finish it, aren't you?

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Jeff, like Jason says it gives one a sense of satisfaction in building it all yourself and like me you may think 'I could have done that bit a bit better' or maybe you don't, Whatever it looks good and I would be happy to have something similar, now what sort of tunnels were around my area?

Look forward to the next stages - you are taking it with you to your Dads to finish it, aren't you?

Jim

Evening Jim. Yes, I'll be taking it over to Cumbria to dads. I've actually got a couple of extra days now, before I go over, because of organisational business with my brother - and a friend wanting Physics help prior to their January exams. So I should be able to get the base structure and some more dressed stone in place.

And you are correct. I always look at what I'm doing and think how I could have improved it. I've 2 more tunnel mouths to do at some stage - I'll select a different S&C prototype for each.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Your tunnel mouth is looking grand, Jeff.

I can imagine the water pouring down the steps already.

Have you decided what the weather will be doing on your running days?

moderate_rain.gif

I mean, how much water will be tumbling over those steps - drought, trickle, stream, flood?

I've not seen a layout yet on which people are using brollies although I'm sure there must be some around. rain.gif

A cold mid December day is planned for Great West Road so I can put in frost fires. coldsmiley.gif halloweensmiley_26.gif

• RMweb Premium

It's never dry weather for long up there so even if you model a warm and dry summers day, there will always be water trickling down. More importantly for the ambience will be the faint background noise of the occasional bleat of a sheep, and the unmistakable call of curlews. I'm sure you could download some suitable sounds from the Internet and burn them onto a CD, and then quietly play it in the background, which would be really impressive if you have any sound locos. The pounding of a 9F or whistle of a Type 4 (Class 40), followed by a return to almost silence with a lonely curlew singing it's shrill song; you'd be transported up onto these lonely moors.....

• Like 4

Looking good Jeff. You are making rapid progress on this as you do with everything else. Are you going to copy the drains from the original? Have you thought about putting in an open culvert each side of the trackbed to carry the water away? I'm now desperately trying to think of where I've seen that done...

• RMweb Premium

Your tunnel mouth is looking grand, Jeff.

I can imagine the water pouring down the steps already.

Have you decided what the weather will be doing on your running days?

moderate_rain.gif

I mean, how much water will be tumbling over those steps - drought, trickle, stream, flood?

I've not seen a layout yet on which people are using brollies although I'm sure there must be some around. rain.gif

A cold mid December day is planned for Great West Road so I can put in frost fires. coldsmiley.gif halloweensmiley_26.gif

Now that would be novel! It'll be sunny on KL - after all, the weather is always beautiful on the S&C!! :no:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, That tunnel mouth is looking good. I am going to need three for my "last great project" and there are some excellent construction ideas in what you have done. I am more of a plastic and card than wood builder myself, but then wood is in your genes.

As to the new Hornby stuff where the "real Andy P" wants everything, I'll go for the LMS CCT. It will be interesting to compare it with the Parkside ones in my parcels train.

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Jeff. You are making rapid progress on this as you do with everything else. Are you going to copy the drains from the original? Have you thought about putting in an open culvert each side of the trackbed to carry the water away? I'm now desperately trying to think of where I've seen that done...

That's not a bad idea, as there would have to be a way to drain away water from the rail area. The photos don't show anything - so maybe a small culvert into the hillside at rail-level would be good.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

i'll put some pics up showing the 48 steps to heaven...

Jeff, according to the song. there are only three steps to heaven.

1 - You find a girl to love

2 - She falls in love with you

3 - She also likes the S&C

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, That tunnel mouth is looking good. I am going to need three for my "last great project" and there are some excellent construction ideas in what you have done. I am more of a plastic and card than wood builder myself, but then wood is in your genes.

As to the new Hornby stuff where the "real Andy P" wants everything, I'll go for the LMS CCT. It will be interesting to compare it with the Parkside ones in my parcels train.

Hi Jonathan. Yes, I've got another 2 tunnel mouths to build. It's fun, really. Some fiddly steps and pillar bits to start today, so we'll see where we get to.

I wasn't fussed with the Hornby froth this year. Too many items from previous lists to worry about - I want 2 of the new Bachmann class 40s in green when they come out in Feb/March 2013.

Enjoy what you're doing. Hope those civil service computers are working well! :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, according to the song. there are only three steps to heaven.

1 - You find a girl to love

2 - She falls in love with you

3 - She also likes the S&C

Is that right? I'm sure we could all provide additional criteria (such as number 4: she provides unlimited funds for modelling!), but I'll take numbers 1 and 2. Number 3 would be a bonus.

As I said, I've Led Zep going up one side of my steps, and Rush on the other. Heaven indeed!!

Cheers Dave,

Jeff

• Like 1

Sod it, I missed the CCT,I will need a couple of those as well as I am collecting parcells stock, I have 6 CCT, ex Lima and Hornby, and 5 x 56ft Parcels vansin various colours.

Serious stuff that tunnel mouth Jeff, I will have to givea go to scratchbuildind some bits when I start a big project, it certanly won't be on the N Gauge one, ha ho he.

When you started out on this long road of discovery, curved viaducts and water drainage channels were never even a dream, so to put it into perspective I think you have shown ME and probably many other that it can be done with serious planning and a lot of encouragement from the likes of Jason etc.

Well done I look forward to your take on SCRATCHBUILDING THE STATION, ho ho ho, or maybe not ho ho ho as I think you will do it.

Andy,

BTW SWMBO is back in couple of hours so I have to get the Hoover out now,

Now where does she keep it and how the heck do you start these hings up?

P.S. yes Led Zep 4 in the car glove box I will have to dig it out now and have another bit of AIR GUITAR whilst driving, ho ho ho

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thing is Andy, it's addictive and gets to the point where you try to avoid using bought items at all (hence me scribing pavements, although that wasn't the only reason). I'm actually feeling a tiny bit guilty because amongst other things I will be getting on with this week is erecting a wooden fence and have opted to use a load of Wills fencing sections that I had left over from my last layout, rather than make my own although to be fair, the length of fencing is approaching 3'.

• RMweb Premium

Thing is Andy, it's addictive and gets to the point where you try to avoid using bought items at all (hence me scribing pavements, although that wasn't the only reason). I'm actually feeling a tiny bit guilty because amongst other things I will be getting on with this week is erecting a wooden fence and have opted to use a load of Wills fencing sections that I had left over from my last layout, rather than make my own although to be fair, the length of fencing is approaching 3'.

That's spot-on Jason, and I've only been doing this kind of thing for a few months. I've got some packets of Wills paving stored away for future platform use, but after seeing your pavement etc. work I shall scratchbuild. Same with the station - George's work for Andy has inspired me - especially with the wonderful 2mm ply!

Must admit, some fencing is best bought. I used to make it out of matchsticks and cotton - not bad, but not the best.

Just about to start some more fiddling with the tunnel mouth. Though we don't have photos to show it, I'm going to link the side drainage channels with a flat walkway behing the top of the structure.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy - the thought of building curved viaducts, drainage channels etc would probably have made me not bother at all - and that was only 6 months ago! As Jason said, it's remarkably addictive and it's surprising how it turns out with a bit of careful work.

I'm not saying that what is scratchbuilt is the best there is. But it's easily good enough for purpose and the satisfaction generated is immense.

Btw, if it's an electric cleaner I'll give you 3 hints, before SWMBO returns: First, you need to plug it into the wall. Second, press the on/off switch on the cleaner. Third - don't make it TOO tidy, or she'll get suspicious. Oh - AND FOURTH.... clean all that weathering powder/glue gun debris off her hairdryer before you forget!! :jester:

Jeff (HO HO HO)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's never dry weather for long up there so even if you model a warm and dry summers day, there will always be water trickling down. More importantly for the ambience will be the faint background noise of the occasional bleat of a sheep, and the unmistakable call of curlews. I'm sure you could download some suitable sounds from the Internet and burn them onto a CD, and then quietly play it in the background, which would be really impressive if you have any sound locos. The pounding of a 9F or whistle of a Type 4 (Class 40), followed by a return to almost silence with a lonely curlew singing it's shrill song; you'd be transported up onto these lonely moors.....

I missed this post when I first looked today. Good call on the 40. The Bachmann "Mauretania" with sound is out in the spring, and I'll be ordering one. As for curlews and sheep... somebody, somewhere, probably does a sound effects CD!

Jeff

Andy - the thought of building curved viaducts, drainage channels etc would probably have made me not bother at all - and that was only 6 months ago! As Jason said, it's remarkably addictive and it's surprising how it turns out with a bit of careful work.

I'm not saying that what is scratchbuilt is the best there is. But it's easily good enough for purpose and the satisfaction generated is immense.

Btw, if it's an electric cleaner I'll give you 3 hints, before SWMBO returns: First, you need to plug it into the wall. Second, press the on/off switch on the cleaner. Third - don't make it TOO tidy, or she'll get suspicious. Oh - AND FOURTH.... clean all that weathering powder/glue gun debris off her hairdryer before you forget!! :jester:

Jeff (HO HO HO)

Hi Jeff just stopped for elevenses, and guess what, our vacum is electric, now when I were a lad if you needed to start something you either Kick started it or spun a handle in the front of the radiator, ahh those were the days. :no:

P.S. another tip leave a few bits around otherwise she will say I can do it every time, I'm not having any of that nonsense. :nono:

Coffee stirers are good for fencing in 7mm. :paint:

BTW it wasn't a hair drier in that pic on Trebudoc, it was my Wicks, Hot Glue Gun, no real modeller shoud be without one. :declare:

BTW Jason, with all the locos I have lined up in my BRAIN, I think I will need to scratch build everything on the Big Project :O

For some strange reason George doesn't want to scratch build my N Gauge stuff, can't understand that :stinker: whimp!

Must get on now, I have some ballasting to do and finnish off detailing that 7mm wagon.

Cheers Andy

• RMweb Premium

to_hoover_smiley4.gif

The pounding of a 9F...now you're talking.... :locomotive:

Looking forward to seeing your tunnel in situ.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

to_hoover_smiley4.gif

The pounding of a 9F...now you're talking.... :locomotive:

Looking forward to seeing your tunnel in situ.

Polly

So am I, but it'll be a while. And - of course - there's no hillside there at the moment... Engineering for engineering's sake - it'd look like a monument built in the middle of nowhere!

Waiting for some filler to set, then I'm going to cut some more ply.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Not a lot done today - yet. The filler I've put into the side wings has hardened so I can now work on them. I've cut come 2mm ply for a few more steps and a couple of pillars.

Busy evening tonight - not modelling - though I may get something done after 9 (hopefully).

Jeff