My boxfile

Hi, Haven't been here for years but having noticed there's now a micro section I thought that I would contribute.

Here's my O9 boxfile (currently called 'Box Yard').

It represents a preservation railway that is just getting started in the 1970s. It being new they still haven't finished putting the roof and doors onthe engine shed. As they don't seem to be in a hurry to do this I'm guessing that we are looking at the long hot summer of '76.

At the rear we have two tracks going into the workshop/shed.

In the middle is the ash pile where the steam locos empty.

At the front is the fueling line - water to right, coal in centre and diesel tank to left.

To give a little more room the infrastructure for the fueling track is built on to the front flap of the box file so it folds up inside when not in use.

the fiddle yard is just a single bit of track that is moved by hand between the various holes in the right of the box.

Hope you like it.

b9.jpg

b10.jpg

w1.jpg

Oh yes, should mntion all the switches on the lid of the box file. It's a DC layout, thus there are three isolated sections on each of the four tracks so that I can have plenty of locos on the layout at any one time..

Guest Jim Read

Hello SRD,

It's amazing what you can get into a box file, how long did it take to to do all this, it's very good indeed.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello SRD

From the look of your control panel you know what you are doing with the electricals. I make a controller that is a current limited pulse/feedback type that will give amazing slow and smooth running. If you are into the electronicals and know what you are doing you would be very welcome to the circuit, I would not like to think that I caused you to fry, in the wrong hands it can be dangerous.

Jim

From the look of your control panel you know what you are doing with the electricals. I make a controller that is a current limited pulse/feedback type that will give amazing slow and smooth running. If you are into the electronicals and know what you are doing you would be very welcome to the circuit, I would not like to think that I caused you to fry, in the wrong hands it can be dangerous.

Afraid that my grasp of electrics is fairly basic...the control panel is just a load of toggle and slider switches running from the DC controller to each of the isolated sections - including a right old jumble of spagetti on the outside of the box. Thanks for the offer of your circuit but I would probably fry myself!

My main locos are based on Kato shortie 4 wheel chassis and seem to run quite well at slow speeds (and with tracks this short slow speed is all that is safe to do), it's also got better since I started graphiting the track.

Guest Jim Read

Hello SRD,

Interesting to see the pics above I like the saddle tank locos. I see you've found out about graphiting it does make an improvement to the running on any layout, I use one of those artists graphite blocks. Initially I draw file the rail and then go over it with one of those Garryflex abrasive blocks and then use the graphite, my last layout ran perfectly for two years with no more than the odd rub over after that.

Jim

Thanks again for the kind comments.

The red loco, as you've probably guessed, is a converted minitrains baldwin - plasticard cab (needs the portholes enlarging a bit I think), chimney is a bit of tube out of a soap dispencer and the dome is the top off a pen,

The green steam loco is actually a pug-bash (Dapol OO gauge pug kit) with a new cab and side-skirts to hide the fact that the farrish 0-6-0 chassis hasn't got a motion. Still needs a bigger chimney adding to it.

The Lister in the first set of photos is the new(ish) Minimum Gauge Models Lister body kit on a Kato shortie chassis (there is also an MGM diesel hiding there somewhere). I really do like the MGM kits - cheap (under £15 for a brass body kit), and easy to build either with solder or glue. They run on Kato chassis which are also cheap (again around £15) and appear to run well so far.

Indeed, the whole layout has cost hardly anything as much of it is built from leftovers or salvaged bits from other layouts and projects. Most from my old micro: 'Tithe Barn Sidings' (pictured below) which was a 2ft by 1ft inglenook, but took up too much space according to She Who Must Be Obeyed! Thankfully when closed up and shoved under the bed the box file layout appears to pass under radar.

tbs3.jpg

Archived