Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Front, cab and rear steps for Bachmann Fairbairn 2-6-4T

I purchased a spare body for a Bachmann Fairbairn 2-6-4T but unfortunately it came without the front, cab or (single) rear steps. Does any have any idea where I can get spares or replacements for these items? I have a query in with Bachmann Customer Service but I wondered if anyone knew of sources of alternatives should Bachmann be unable to help me.

Thanks in anticipation for any help with this.

Stan

I had a similar problem with a 4MT bought on Ebay. Bachman posted a detailing kit ( offered after I'd queried availability )quite quickly for a total of £5.00.

Sadly, this is what Bachmann replied:

"Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortuntaley we are unable to help you on this occasion as the Fairburn tanks do not have front or rear steps, and the cab steps are assembled to the body on production and we do not have them separately

Regards

Service Team

Bachmann Europe plc"

Can anyone who owns a Bachmann model of the Faribairn 2-6-4T confimr that it is delivered without the front steps or the rear one?

ATB,

Stan

Two possible solutions cpme to mind. Firstly, the BR 4MT tank loco is an adaptation of the Fairburn design, therefore the stweps might well be either interchangeable, or capable of modification. Secondly, Comet do an etch of loco steps...a picture is on their website.

gerrynick

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone who owns a Bachmann model of the Faribairn 2-6-4T confimr that it is delivered without the front steps or the rear one?

ATB,

Stan

Well the one I got only came with the cab steps - no fronts and they are not in the detail pack.

• RMweb Premium

Confirming what AJ427 states inthe previous post, my early issue Fairburn tank No 42096 only had steps provided below the cab. I added spare cast steps from a Comet Ivatt Cl 2 kit to the front footplate locations as advised in an issue of BRM published shortly after the model was initially released. I also recall mention in their review, that no attempt had been made to include steps at the rear of the bunker, probably because these would foul the ''tension lock' type coupling. I've never found a clear photo showing the pattern or exact location of these rear facing steps.

If nothing else Stanley, I hope this re assures you that you haven't been sold 'a pup' and that Bachmann Service Dept. weren't fobbing you off either.

Hope you can source the parts you want to complete the model to your satisfaction.

John

Edited by Brit70053 to delete a reference to e-bay not made in OP.

Guest stuartp

These are the Comet ones (lost wax), attached to an Ivatt 2MT. They need straightening up a bit but they're very nice and a lot stronger than the plastic ones.

post-270-0-72048000-1333480848.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - and thanks for the confirmation that neither front nor rear steps are supplied by Bachmann. I've contacted Geoff at Comet and arranged to collect some front steps from him next week at Scalefour North. The cab steps are similar but wider so I'll use the Comet steps to give me the key dimensions of the cab steps and scratch build those. The best I can do for the rear steps is shown in the attached photo. If anyone has a better photo or more details, please PM me.

Cheers,

Stan

post-2113-0-33098500-1334345103_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The cab steps are similar but wider so I'll use the Comet steps to give me the key dimensions of the cab steps and scratch build those. The best I can do for the rear steps is shown in the attached photo. If anyone has a better photo or more details, please PM me.

Cheers,

Stan

post-2113-0-33098500-1334345103_thumb.jpg

Hi Stan,

That's got to be the best photo showing the steps below the rear buffer beam that I've seen, thanks for sharing it.

It also probably explains why Bachmann left them off their model, possibility not only of fouling the tension lock coupling, but also rather close to the rear bogie wheels for a RTR loco which might have to negotiate none scale curves.

Good luck with your detailing.

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John (and anyone else interested),

At Scalefour North last weekend I came across this photo and purchased a copy. It was described on the rear of the print as being the back end of a Stanier 2-6-4T but the number of the loco means it is definitely a Fairburn loco. I think this answers all queries on this matter . . .

Cheers,

Stan

Hi Stan,

That's got to be the best photo showing the steps below the rear buffer beam that I've seen, thanks for sharing it.

It also probably explains why Bachmann left them off their model, possibility not only of fouling the tension lock coupling, but also rather close to the rear bogie wheels for a RTR loco which might have to negotiate none scale curves.

Good luck with your detailing.

Regards,

John

Will these three images help too perhaps? Caught last year at the L&HR to aid the detailing on my own small fleet of Fairburns.

Close-up of the rear steps.

post-6712-0-02219900-1335556430_thumb.jpg

Rear of steps showing fixing arrangements.

post-6712-0-71616000-1335556220_thumb.jpg

Front footsteps and fixing arrangements.

post-6712-0-76756100-1335556397_thumb.jpg

HTH,

Tim

Archived