Help with track radius

Hi

I am using Peco code 75 Flexi Track and need to make curves at about radius 2 and 3. I am using the tracksetta from gaugemaster which size would i need to use? I am thinking i would need the 18'' and 21'' setta. Is this correct or would it be a different size. If someone could help me with this i would be very greatful.

Thanks

Yes that about correct R2 is around 17" R3 approx 20" R4 approx22"

EDIT just checked Peco Info R1 = 14.5/8" radius

R2 = 17.1/4"Radius

R3 = 19.7/8" Radius

R4 = 22.1/2" Radius

I would go for the 18" & 21" Tracksetta ( thats what we use for our 0n30 lines!)

Steve

Bear in mind that this will give a greater "six foot way" (gap between the tracks) than two Streamline points will give. You wii probably need this greater gap for curves this tight, depending on what stock you will be running.

Unless you take a leaf out of Virgin's book and make sure that two trains cannot pass each other!

Ed

R2 = 17.1/4"Radius

R3 = 19.7/8" Radius

R4 = 22.1/2" Radius

I don't think I have ever given toy roundy curves much thought before but these curves are flippin' sharp! And yet there are some people who expect Hornby and Bachmann to produce models with scale splashers and clearances. :swoon:

I don't think I have ever given toy roundy curves much thought before but these curves are flippin' sharp! And yet there are some people who expect Hornby and Bachmann to produce models with scale splashers and clearances. :swoon:

They are sharp BUT if you want sharp consider G Scale, the sharpest radius is 600mm!!!!!!! ( ie around 24") and unbelievably all LGB's locos will negotiate such a radius. ( such things as Mallets , see my Avatar, USA GG1 electrics, Harz 2-10-2T to name a few) happily I am fortunate to have the space to allow me to use minimum of around 6' radius, but there are quite a few garden lines in my locality who do use sharp curves :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Lionel's O gauge trains in the post-war period had tracks that were called 27" and 31" diameter. And this was measured to the outside of the sleepers (or ties, as they called them). My first Hornby wind-up had curves called 1-foot radius (the electric had 2-foot radius).

For the OO, I might get one tracksetta and a Peco double-track gauge.

Down load Templot (its free) you can curve plain track very easily at any radius and add tracks at will both inside and out and vary the track centers if you wish.

How about using the Peco 6' gauge, if you get the first radius correct you can then gauge the rest from each other (providing the gauge is the same).

Or make your own gauge from card, using radius 2 & 3 curves as templates use either the inside or outside line of the sleepers as the template.

Archived