SNCF TGV Postal set in St Pancras

You've answered your own question Steve. They haven't got any trains yet.

Im sure some one mentioned earlier that they had ordered 25 train sets, Are these TGV AGV or ICE sets or somethng else.

Ive just been on there web site but cant find any info.

Im sure some one mentioned earlier that they had ordered 25 train sets, Are these TGV AGV or ICE sets or somethng else.

Having scanned a few snippets of news tonight, I think I saw that they are currently negotiating with both Alstom and Siemens. No deal agreed yet by the look of it.

Popped in to see what all the fuss was all about yesterday. Being as it was a PR exercise, it was a case of get it or miss out as the TGV-Poste units most likely won't return here (given what's been said already over on page 1).

Unfortunately, the sun didn't quite play ball and they departed late anyway. These two will have to do from the other side of the "cage", so to speak.

post-6712-0-72429000-1332379944_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-01897100-1332379918_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

So this is basically part of Air Freight operations.

The service from London will take freight to European mainland airports for onward shipment.

There's potential there for pinching business from operations from UK bases, to the benefit of European cargo airline rivals. However, having said that, there are dozens of flights ever night taking cargo to these European cargo hubs. Some of this will probably transfer to the rail service, particularly the services from the SE

I worked at Heathrow Cargo for a while and one thing I was surprised about was just how much 'air freight' for other countries actually left Heathrow on trucks heading for the channel tunnel! ;)

I was working for Swissair, and at the time they were phasing out widebody A310s and phasing in much smaller A319/320/321s for European trips, the drop in cargo capacity between the two was pretty big and my reccolection is we went from sending almost everything on the planes to having to have regular space on overnight trucks. I don't think in reality it made much difference to the overall speed of delivery for the customer either way...

If they can pick up and rail can compete on that kind of traffic then great.

• RMweb Gold

I worked at Heathrow Cargo for a while and one thing I was surprised about was just how much 'air freight' for other countries actually left Heathrow on trucks heading for the channel tunnel! ;)

I was working for Swissair, and at the time they were phasing out widebody A310s and phasing in much smaller A319/320/321s for European trips, the drop in cargo capacity between the two was pretty big and my reccolection is we went from sending almost everything on the planes to having to have regular space on overnight trucks. I don't think in reality it made much difference to the overall speed of delivery for the customer either way...

If they can pick up and rail can compete on that kind of traffic then great.

Eurostar was already in that market back in the 1990s, and - all things considered - doing quite well in it with a reasonable pick-up of contracts from other operators especially from London to Brussels. I think the UK end of the operation was more 'go-getting' in marketing the service than the other two but it was still relatively unknown outside the business world. Eurostar mainly went for time sensitive high value stuff and I believe had several contracts in the financial world.

Air freight trucks have been a common site on the M25 and M20, heading to and from the Channel Tunnel, for many years.

Cargolux take a lot of cargo to their Luxembourg Airport base, from the London airports.

Eurostar was already in that market back in the 1990s, and - all things considered - doing quite well in it with a reasonable pick-up of contracts from other operators especially from London to Brussels. I think the UK end of the operation was more 'go-getting' in marketing the service than the other two but it was still relatively unknown outside the business world. Eurostar mainly went for time sensitive high value stuff and I believe had several contracts in the financial world.

I had no idea that Eurostar did this untill reading this thread. Just out of interest, where about on the Eurostar is the freight carried?

If the diesels in Tim's first image are the "Krupps" referred to on page 1, let me take the opportunity to rectify that: they are not build by Krupp, who went belly up sometime in the 60's IIRC, but MaK. In effect, these are the 121-125th loco's in the 120 strong Dutch NS6400 series. (FYI: the tunnel operators purchased a number of ex-NS6400's recently, as they were surplus due to the collapse of freight traffic by rail in 2009/10. Half of the series is now either set aside, scrapped (accidents) or sold) The major difference between the Chunnel loco's and their Dutch siblings is the exhaust filtration system of the former, due to their work in the tunnel...

MaK (Kiel, directly north of Hamburg) is now part of the Vossloh concern and the G1206 and G1700 are descendants of this loco type. In a way, the G2000 also has some family ties to it ;)

They may not have been built by Krupp, but this is what they are referred to as by those who drive, repair and are otherwise are involved in their operation at Eurotunnel.

So we're unlikely then to see a couple of GUVs (or even a blue siphon G or fruit D) coupled to the back of a Eurostar or TGV??

Now that's a shame!

Actually there was a plan a few years ago to convert some of the redundant MK3 sleepers into high speed parcel vans, but it came to naught as they discovered that cutting up the bodies would have affected the structural integrity of the vehicles.

Those TGV Poste sets run from a depot close to Paris Gare de Lyon (I think it's called Charolais, there is a semi-roundhouse of that name nearby that also houses one of SNCF's heritage diesels), down to Cavaillon in Provence.

We holidayed at Isle sur la Sorgue three years back and I used to go down to the station to see the morning southbound set come howling through.

Quite a sight from off the platforms. :O

Ive just been on there web site but cant find any info.

I am reliably informed that the 'new' trains will be displaced TGV-SE sets, heavily rebuilt to accomodate airline-style containers. These sets are being replaced on LGV-SE by Duplex sets, and others with higher speed capability than the original stock.

The train itself was hauled to Stratford, then the 'Krupps' ran round before propelling the set into the 'loco siding' at St Pancras for overnight stabling. They then repositioned the stock in the morning.

I am reliably informed that the 'new' trains will be displaced TGV-SE sets, heavily rebuilt to accomodate airline-style containers.

La Poste half sets 6 and 7 were rebuilt from a PSE so it's not hard to do. I suspect they would carry standard "unit load devices" (pallets or containers) used for air freight. They'd just need to fit a roller deck.

Interestingly, they may not even use a platform to load. They could use an off the shelf Elevating Transfer Vehicle of the type used to load an aircraft. They could then (at least in theory) use any suitable bit of hardstand to load the train.

If this is successful there is a possibility some not quite so high speed trains could be similar converted for domestic use.

Cheers

David

So we might yet see TGVs working on HS1 and into London. If they fit them with the correct signalling equipment.

Wonder if a HO model suitably repainted will be offered for the UK market like hornbys first Eurostar.

It could be a catalyst for British High speed HO, TGV, ICE, Eurostar, class 92 & javelin!!!

Archived