Model Rail - reader survey?

Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Gold

Pretty much as the title says, really.

I've just received an email, purporting to be from Model Rail, with a link to a survey.

Before I click on any link, I just want to check it's for real. (No slur intended on anyone - or any company - I just tend to be suspicious of anything I don't know.)

If it is real, fine - if not, well you get the idea ...

Either way, I suspect a number of people here might get similar emails - and I don't want there to be a barrage of correspondence about this - so I'd be grateful if Chris (or someone else) could say one way or another.

Many thanks,

Huw.

Pretty much as the title says, really.

I've just received an email, purporting to be from Model Rail, with a link to a survey.

Before I click on any link, I just want to check it's for real. (No slur intended on anyone - or any company - I just tend to be suspicious of anything I don't know.)

If it is real, fine - if not, well you get the idea ...

Either way, I suspect a number of people here might get similar emails - and I don't want there to be a barrage of correspondence about this - so I'd be grateful if Chris (or someone else) could say one way or another.

Many thanks,

Huw.

There are many departments within Bauer Media and they work on behalf of dozens of different magazines. It is not practical for me to keep checking on what they are doing. I'm sorry but I just don't have the time. The previous enquiry about the £5 offer was less than a week ago and I dealt with that in my own time. As before, I expect it is genuine.

CHRIS LEIGH

There are many departments within Bauer Media and they work on behalf of dozens of different magazines. It is not practical for me to keep checking on what they are doing. I'm sorry but I just don't have the time.

i dont blame you whatsoever for that stance Chris, quite understandable; but I would say that Bauer will inevitably reap what they sow with this. A large number of modellers dislike intrusive marketing activity, and will like it even less when it affects their hobby.

I did the survey, it looks pretty genuine to me, and if you don't want to do it just delete it. What's the big deal, its no worse than any other unsolicited e-mail, or junk mail through the letterbox ?

• RMweb Gold

I did the survey, it looks pretty genuine to me, and if you don't want to do it just delete it. What's the big deal, its no worse than any other unsolicited e-mail, or junk mail through the letterbox ?

Contrary to appearances, I've got no problem with legitimate marketing, surveys etc - and I'm capable of deciding whether or not I want to proceed. Indeed, I have happily completed a number of these surveys over the years.

My issue is that there's recently been some bother with crooks pretending to be legitimate companies - sending phishing emails etc.

Like it or not, I think it's inevitable that some people are going to be suspicious if they don't hear anything from a company for ages - then an email turns up, out of the blue, with a survey link or (even a subscription offer which sounds too good to be true).

This natural suspicion is likely to be compounded if the email in question has been auto-directed to the "junk" folder - and there don't appear to be any links to the survey (or offer) on the company's official website.

This might help to explain my caution.

Quite reasonably (I thought), I was merely trying to find out if anyone already knew anything about this survey.

I've got no problem if Chris (or anyone else) is too busy to check out stuff like this. I merely imagined (wrongly as it happened) that someone working in a magazine's editorial office might be aware of the existence of a readers' survey for their own magazine.

I've never set out to waste anyone's time - and I'm sorry if this was the impression conveyed by my earlier posts.

I never intended to set off any fireworks. In fact, I'm actually beginning to wish I hadn't started this thread in the first place.

Regards,

Huw.

I thought it was a disappointing survey. As a club modeller I found it very difficult to fill out accurately - that is where my layout is, shared with a few others, but part of a bigger group. It was very much aimed at what one did in the privacy of ones own home!

Paul Bartlett

Surveys are done for a variety of different reasons and for different departments - not usually for editorial departments, although Editors can often obtain some interesting and useful data from them. As far as I'm aware this one has no editorial involvement and may well be simply a follow-up to one that was done a couple of years ago, in order to see what has changed in that period. I apologise to Huw Griffiths for being tetchy in my earlier post, caught me at a bad moment.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Surely for a question like this, it would be more useful to contact the sender by other means (not clicking the reply button) and find out from the horses mouth? Then you could report your findings here and then we would all know and make our minds up on whether to participate.

I agree with Dibber25, a corporate organisation has many different things happening at once and not all staff are informed in detail.

I for one am pleased that he chooses to participate on RMweb. There might be a side benefit to the publisher in doing so, but I suspect Dibber25, is mainly writing in his own time.

Kevin Martin

Archived