JANUARY 2010

stock_2007

Have to say I am really pleased how the photos of Pallet Lane turned out, especially the one of 37032 on the first page of the article.

The full list of interest:

Pen Hill 00 western region 1950's

P.O.T.M - Settle Speakman peir branch - Isle of sheppey

Wadebridge 0 1860's

Scale Drawing - Adlam Junction

Pallet Lane 00 - 1970'S Urban branch

Deltic Sound upgrade

Southern Electric guide

Dalby wood Part 2

West Highland Halts - Banavie

Rae Bridge 009 Scottish narrow gauge

Track Plan special

GWR Cordon Gas Tank Wagon

Little Wood - N 1970's

Wagon kits for beginners

Island of Snowdor - Touch screen DCC

Rebuilding Digby - Rebuild of Bachmann Junior loco.

• RMweb Premium

Liked the piece on modelling Southern 3rd rail - but the author actually perpertuated a commonly held myth that the Mk1 EMU classified as 4-BIG and 4 CIG were given that designation as 4 Corridor (buffet) Internal Guard.

Most SR experts now hold with the theory that as the first generation units were for the Brighton line, that the designation comes from the SR telegraphic code "IG" which was the code to identify telegraraph traffic for Brighton.

• RMweb Gold

Just picked mine up today, congrats Rob yes the pic does look good of the 37, like the streetscene one too!

An enjoyable edition for me, though yet to read some of it in detail!

Lots of 'something a bit different' industrial, pre-grouping, narrow gauge (which is good rather than just being narrow gauge if you see what I mean!)

I was interested by the N-gauge hinged micro-layout. Looks ideal concept as a starter layout for a child. Maybe slide it under the bed when not in use?

With that in mind, here's one small suggestion / idea.

The schematic showed that a baton needed to be screwed to the baseboard each time the layout was used.

I can envisage that it would be easier and quicker to put together and take apart if the "screwed on baton" idea was modified. How about if dowels were put fitted to the baseboard. And the baton had holes drilled through to accomodate the dowels allowing a simple push fit?

Pallet Lane. Very nice piece of work there.

Andy

Liked the piece on modelling Southern 3rd rail - but the author actually perpertuated a commonly held myth that the Mk1 EMU classified as 4-BIG and 4 CIG were given that designation as 4 Corridor (buffet) Internal Guard.

Most SR experts now hold with the theory that as the first generation units were for the Brighton line, that the designation comes from the SR telegraphic code "IG" which was the code to identify telegraraph traffic for Brighton.

I think that one's still up for grab and debate. There still seems to be plenty of 'experts' of the other opinion. Personally I'm undecided - there seems such a lot of choice; Corridor/Buffet Internal Guard, Corridor/Buffet Intermediate Guard, Corridor/Buffet Brighton, etc. and they're probably all correct to some extent, in some way, at some time, in some place.... ;)

G.

• RMweb Premium

I think that one's still up for grab and debate. There still seems to be plenty of 'experts' of the other opinion. Personally I'm undecided - there seems such a lot of choice; Corridor/Buffet Internal Guard, Corridor/Buffet Intermediate Guard, Corridor/Buffet Brighton, etc. and they're probably all correct to some extent, in some way, at some time, in some place.... ;)

G.

I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of that one, but I used to be a member of the SEG, and at least two published and acknowledged experts on the subject berated me when I used the Internal/Intermediate Guard derivation -and both of these worked on the railway, one on the operational side of the Southern. Indeed, quite a number of the key people in the SEG at that time were Southern staff.

It's also interesting that HM also has a quite similar article about SR 3rd rail, and that author also goes with the "Brighton = IG" theory.

Archived