Points Bridge, Hagg Bank, Wylam, Northumberland

Hi Ron.

Only just discovered this thread. Your use of plastic strip/card is stunning. Not content with Manchester Central you hare building this as well. Once this is finished are you moving on to a scale Forth Bridge? :jester: I think in 4mm it is about 9 metres long :O.

Regards

Steve

Hi, Steve

Thanks for your comments

Forth Bridge - Yes about 9 metres long, but it's already been done in steel

I prefer bridges which haven't been modelled - Any ideas?

Following completion of this build it will be back to the Castlefield Viaduct (only 4.5m long)

Cheers

Ron

Latest progress -

post-10633-0-43330000-1353193971_thumb.jpg

7 x 34.5mm bracings ready for fixing into arch, 4 x 35.0mm bracings partly ready components, and 1 x 36mm, 2 x 37mm, 1x 38mm and 1 x 39mm bracing components awaiting assembly

post-10633-0-23533300-1353194039_thumb.jpg

Close-up of assembled bracings

post-10633-0-16398200-1353194102_thumb.jpg

Closer still

To make assembly into the arch easier -

post-10633-0-20560000-1353195513_thumb.jpg

the bracing is fitted on one side first

post-10633-0-49851900-1353195537_thumb.jpg

and then final bracing piece is fitted

How about the High Level Bridge or the Queen Elizabeth II Metro Bridge in Newcastle? Never seen Durham Viaduct modelled either...

Hi, Mike

One Railway bridge, one Metro bridge, and a Stone built Railway Viaduct

Preference would be the High Level Bridge. Will put it on my challenge list

Are there no North East England modellers modelling local lines?

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

I'm enjoying the progress of this (and of course the Manchester and Castlefield build), Wylam's not far from my parents' house. I think the NE area is a little overlooked sometimes on the modelling front. Slightly guiltily, as I've moved north of the border since going to Uni, my interests are now in the Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway.

I thought I'd give you a variety of bridges there... but of course, it you do the High Level Bridge, you'd have to do the piers for it and the Swing Bridge... :)

Hi, Mike

One Railway bridge, one Metro bridge, and a Stone built Railway Viaduct

Cheers

Ron

I've been following this with interest, I certainly wouldn't have the patience to build something as complex as this.

I have a book on the High Level Bridge and Newcastle Central Station, ISBN 1 873513 28 3, has details of construction etc. I'd love to model it but it goes hand in hand with Newcastle Central Station which if modelled to scale starts to get a bit large for the average railway room.

Hi Ron,

I'm enjoying the progress of this (and of course the Manchester and Castlefield build), Wylam's not far from my parents' house. I think the NE area is a little overlooked sometimes on the modelling front. Slightly guiltily, as I've moved north of the border since going to Uni, my interests are now in the Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway.

I thought I'd give you a variety of bridges there... but of course, it you do the High Level Bridge, you'd have to do the piers for it and the Swing Bridge... :)

I've been following this with interest, I certainly wouldn't have the patience to build something as complex as this.

I have a book on the High Level Bridge and Newcastle Central Station, ISBN 1 873513 28 3, has details of construction etc. I'd love to model it but it goes hand in hand with Newcastle Central Station which if modelled to scale starts to get a bit large for the average railway room.

Hi,

Large bridges and City Stations do tend to require a rather large space plus large fiddle yards and/or runs of tracks

My move to Spain included a specific requirement for a large space for a railway room and an extensive garden, for my layout of a lifetime

The run through the garden will be used to display a few bridges and viaducts - you can tell I prefer modelling to playing trains (although I have still to build all the trackwork yet)

Cheers

Ron

You could always have a look at a couple of non-British viaducts:-

Viaduc du Garabit:-

https://www.google.c...iw=1600&bih=785

Viaduc de Fades:-

https://www.google.c...iw=1600&bih=785

Hi, Brian

Both are single track

In 4mm scale, Garabit would be 7.5m long and 1.5m high, and Fades 6.2m long and 1.75m high with the tallest stone built piers in the world at 92m (1.2m tall)

Whilst these could be built and definitely a challenge, I would not be able to accommodate them on the layout in any meaningful way :scratchhead: :no:

Cheers

Ron

Hi, Mike

*snip*

Cheers

Ron

Hmmmm... there are, but some of us are a little further back in the execution phase than you, Ron. :D

Coming attractions?

post-8688-0-52631200-1353284893.jpg

post-8688-0-75594600-1353284908.jpg

Only time will tell.

Cheers

Scott

Hmmmm... there are, but some of us are a little further back in the execution phase than you, Ron. :D

Coming attractions?

post-8688-0-52631200-1353284893.jpg

post-8688-0-75594600-1353284908.jpg

Only time will tell.

Cheers

Scott

Hi, Scott

I see you sneaked in Monkwearmouth Railway Bridge at the end :sarcastichand:

Probably not too challenging :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

Hi, Scott

I see you sneaked in Monkwearmouth Railway Bridge at the end :sarcastichand:

Probably not too challenging :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

Not if you've got the brace of structures under your belt that you've tackled, Ron!

It's the sheer size of the span that is daunting to me - 1200mm in 4mm scale. I'm thinking of using solid timber for the main arch and bowstring, then detailing it out with styrene.

Quite a long way off starting, but I wanted to let you know the NE hasn't been forgotten!

Regards

Scott

Completed the arch tonight -

post-10633-0-96377000-1353800980_thumb.jpg

- the finished end of the arch

post-10633-0-19302100-1353801011_thumb.jpg

- closer view

post-10633-0-81986300-1353801040_thumb.jpg

- this second arch placed against the central arch and bridge deck

post-10633-0-73430500-1353801069_thumb.jpg

- all the drop suspension hangers have been released pending fixing the bridge to the base board with the abutments

The third arch is next on the worksheet

Awesome stuff, Ron. I also admire your tenacity with this project. A labour of love I suspect.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi, Brian

Thanks

No labour of love. Maybe bloodymindedness, or extreme (im)patience. Completion is the real prize

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Stunning stuff again.

This afternoon I put together a staircase for a signal box. This I fabricated from styrene strip (Greenscene) which was fiddley but is insignificant in comparison with most aspects of your project. However, I was faced with cutting 15 steps for the stair out of 3.8 mm wide strip, each 16 mm long. I struggled to make them all exactly the same length and the ends perfectly square to glue to the stair stringer, also styrene strip. Do you use any short cuts to ensure all of your bracing members are the same length and have square or correctly angled ends?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Ron,

Stunning stuff again.

This afternoon .......... I was faced with cutting 15 steps for the stair out of 3.8 mm wide strip, each 16 mm long. I struggled to make them all exactly the same length and the ends perfectly square to glue to the stair stringer, also styrene strip. Do you use any short cuts to ensure all of your bracing members are the same length and have square or correctly angled ends?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi, Brian

I built a guillotine to cut styrene strips to specific and repeatable lengths

link : http://www.rmweb.co....ade-guillotine/

I use this for all my styrene work where the quantities of same length strips can be from tens to hundreds

To cut plasticard sheet into strips, I use a balsa strip cutter, with some modifications, see the post below

link: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28293-manchester-central-castlefield-viaducts-modelling-structures/page__st__675&do=findComment&comment=471980

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ron

Dear Ron,

Thanks again for your prompt reply to my query. The guillotine build is inginious. Apologies for not finding this on here before but it is such a big site with lots of little corners I have yet to explore.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Brian.

Archived