Points Bridge, Hagg Bank, Wylam, Northumberland

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ron

I've just found this thread and think your work is fantastic.   The ability of a simple modelling material, in your case styrene strip, to perform like steel and make a large strong structure never ceases to amaze me.  in my case 0.3mm brass equates to 1/2" steel plate in various sections and the resultant girders and trusses are surprisinly strong.  I will continue to watch your progress with awe.

Jamie

Hi Ron

I've just found this thread and think your work is fantastic.   The ability of a simple modelling material, in your case styrene strip, to perform like steel and make a large strong structure never ceases to amaze me.  in my case 0.3mm brass equates to 1/2" steel plate in various sections and the resultant girders and trusses are surprisinly strong.  I will continue to watch your progress with awe.

Jamie

Thanks

I believe the secret is to ensure all joints are lap joints, and long thin sections are only used vertically in tension, otherwise warping and distortion will take place

That is why multiple cross-braced structures are so strong and don't normally suffer from distortion - if constructed properly

Ron

The final under bridge plating added, complete with the drainage detailing -

post-10633-0-94188100-1358450059_thumb.jpg

- painting the structure tomorrow

The final under bridge plating added, complete with the drainage detailing -

post-10633-0-94188100-1358450059_thumb.jpg

- painting the structure tomorrow

What is the final colour? Nice to hear you only need one can to paint it. I would have used 1 1/2 cans - the half can is the one you find lurking in the back of the garage and splatters all over your model and the full can is used to try to hide the lumpy bits.

What is the final colour?

Grey !!

Not found any pictures of the bridge when it was in use as a railway bridge

All the recent pictures show it in grey, with white handrailing - cannot believe they were that colour originally

Nice to hear you only need one can to paint it. I would have used 1 1/2 cans - the half can is the one you find lurking in the back of the garage and splatters all over your model and the full can is used to try to hide the lumpy bits.

I try not to leave any can less than one third full, unless it is going to be used within a week or two. Mind you with my bridge builds that is highly unlikely

Ron

I've had a look for views with trains:-

http://www.railways.whblakey.co.uk/index.php?page=west-wylam-junction is the only one I've found.

I was also taken by this reference:-

"A German aircraft Heinkel 111K attacked the bridge during World War 2 in the belief that it was the Tyne Bridge but their bombs fell between West Wylam and Crawcrook." in http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/wylamrly.html

Fantastic work Ron.

There is a pic of the bridge in use in the book Eastern Main Lines - Newcastle To Hexham. It is black and white and is taken from a distance but, the arch itself and the railings are either white or a very light grey. The deck is a much darker grey as are the 'solid' sides of the arch below deck height.

John

Big problem means change of direction -

The styrene stonework has developed disastrous distortion  :umbrage:

The good news is the replacement will be constructed from card with stonework produced using 0.5mm watercolour paper and watercolour washes, etc.. A method completely new to me  :scratchhead: - what sort of hash am I going to make of this?  :sarcastichand: 

The base material is 1.25mm card salvaged from ASDA four years ago -

post-10633-0-07936800-1358712789_thumb.jpg

- at a discount of £11

Added some stonework card to the abutment card base, with another couple of watercolour washes (still sightly damp) -

post-10633-0-29123100-1359381565_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-79048600-1359381516_thumb.jpg

The bottom right corner will be covered by a grassy/overgrown river embankment

The white plastic coping stones will painted with acrylics after the stonework facings are completed

A friend of mine sent me a link to this site - your craftsmanship is amazing, and the detail is exactly as I remember the bridge - I grew up in Wylam, living there until around 1983.

I can just about remember when the railway lines were still there, but it was turned into a 'nature walk' and the rails and sleepers removed sometime in the 1970s.

I remember scrambling down a few times into the box section at the ends of the bridge.  It was fairly accessible to small / flexible people!  It was good fun looking out of the ventilation holes down to the river flowing underneath.  (No, we were not stupid enough to go down there when the river was in spate).

There were interesting signs of older teenage activity down there including cigarette butts, leftover remains of a fire etc.

The other cool thing (which I’ve only done once or twice) is to walk over the middle arch span.  I never had the bottle to do the outer spans.

A friend of mine sent me a link to this site - your craftsmanship is amazing, and the detail is exactly as I remember the bridge - I grew up in Wylam, living there until around 1983.

I can just about remember when the railway lines were still there, but it was turned into a 'nature walk' and the rails and sleepers removed sometime in the 1970s.

I remember scrambling down a few times into the box section at the ends of the bridge.  It was fairly accessible to small / flexible people!  It was good fun looking out of the ventilation holes down to the river flowing underneath.  (No, we were not stupid enough to go down there when the river was in spate).

There were interesting signs of older teenage activity down there including cigarette butts, leftover remains of a fire etc.

The other cool thing (which I’ve only done once or twice) is to walk over the middle arch span.  I never had the bottle to do the outer spans.

Hi,

Thanks for your interesting boyhood recollections

Ron 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived