SRman's workbench

SRman

I recently decided to take advantage of Hattons' bargain priced Hornby class 153s with decoders on board, with a view to trying out some of Electra Railway Graphics vinyl overlays for Wessex Trains units. This is my first attempt at using the overlays and I have to say it was not as difficult as I thought it would be.

To start with, I had to paint any livery differences on the roof and ends of the First North Western livery, since they carry the blue and gold livery over the cantrail level. Close inspection of the vinyl sides revealed that they had the orange safety stripe printed on, so I didn't have to worry about preserving the Hornby printing. The instructions with the sides suggest BR Falcon Grey as being a good match for most of the liveries roof colours, however, I found that Humbrol 66 matched the FNW roof colour perfectly (a colour I also use extensively for weathering and for vehicle tyres).

I had ordered several sets of printed sides, two Wessex Trains 153 liveries (blue and pink) and a class 158 two-car set for "Richard Trevithick". I started with a 153 in blue "St Ives Belle" livery. The photos show the result when compared to the original Hornby. I ran a hair dryer over the sides a couple of times to get the vinyl to sit over the extensive rivet detail but I still need to do this at least once more as a couple of features haven't quite settled yet but, overall, I am very pleased with the result. The 158 has much smoother sides so should be an easier job (trust me to start with the more difficult subject!!).

gallery_6935_514_38702.jpg

gallery_6935_514_165970.jpg

gallery_6935_514_56921.jpg

gallery_6935_514_124745.jpg

Didn't really get a chance to say but in the flesh today they looked fantastic. It made me remember a photo of the full size I say in a mag ages ago and I was impressed that the surface texture around the rivets really does match the real thing.

• 1 year later...

This is a Southern Railway Maunsell diesel-electric shunter in BR 1960s livery, made from a Golden Arrow resin body kit mounted on a modified Bachmann 08 chassis. It is still very much a work in progress and is awaiting glazing, handrail fitment and tidying up of those wasp stripes, which I am hand-painting!

I added a thin strip of 40thou plasticard to each side of the footplate to bring the Bachmann item out to match the body dimensions.

I have not yet fitted a DCC decoder, which will have to be hard-wired as it was an older Bachmann chassis.

321_060600_310000003.jpg

321_060600_300000002.jpg

321_060600_280000001.jpg

321_060600_270000000.jpg

Archived