The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RIP Jocky Wilson

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

I just read that darts player Jocky Wilson has passed away at 62 years of age.

I remember watching Darts in the good ol' days on BBC (before it got moved to Sky etc) and he was a real entertainer...some great matches with him and Bristow, Lowe, George etc.

Also recall that Top of the Pops famously cocked up as when Dexy's Midnight Runners appeared on the show singing 'Jacky Wilson said'...they had a big picture of Jocky in the background :rolleyes:

RIP Jocky...

Goods heavens, only 62? That is no age these days.

I well remember him winning the World Darts Championship in a great final v Eric Bristow when Jocky raced into a seemingly unassailable lead, but Bristow fought back and I think had a chance to win it but Jocky seemed suddenly to pull some amazing finishes out from somewhere and eventually won the title.

Those were the days when beer was still the choice drink of most darts players, and how they managed to throw straight after downing a few is beyond me.

Thanks Jocky for providing me with many great darts memories.

Quite poignant is the appearance in the media and the rumbling from Argentina over the Falklands. Poor Jocky suffered big time from the gutter press taking great pleasure in pointing out that he had an Argentinian wife and yet he gave hours of pleasure to the thousands regardless and the characters like Jocky are sorely missed ("pre-loading" was a given for these guys)

RIP Jocky

Archived