Woodchip loads query

steve1

Anyone tried making their own in HO?

I was wondering about using real sawdust, glued onto plasticard with watered down PVA but any other ideas are very welcome.

After reading the latest Railroader I realised I can run some woodchip cars on Duncan's Mine.

Thanks

steve

Anyone tried making their own in HO?

I was wondering about using real sawdust, glued onto plasticard with watered down PVA but any other ideas are very welcome.

After reading the latest Railroader I realised I can run some woodchip cars on Duncan's Mine.

Thanks

steve

That's what I used in mine. If I can find them, I'll take a photo.

CHRIS LEIGH

The only thing I would add is instead off plasticard maybe use the pink extruded foam cut to shape with sawdust glued to it, it would give the load more shape, I have used it for sugar beats with sesame seeds as the beats.

I also used sawdust although I used shaped foam rubber for the base so that they were easily removable;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicks_trainstuff/6871962540/in/photostream

I operation I never actually swap them around, I just run half loaded and half empty - no-one at a show stops ling enough to spot the ruse!

Hope this helps.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Very finely sieved sawdust did for me on shaped foamboard topped off with ready-mixed filler to get the nice domed profile and then painted "chip" colour - Tamiya Deck Tan I think , Glue then drop the sawdust and if possible drop dilute PVA on too (like ballast) if you want to avoid a stock box full of "wood chips"

Spray with some sort of fixing such as matt varnish for belt and braces

Chris

The only thing I would add is instead off plasticard maybe use the pink extruded foam cut to shape with sawdust glued to it, it would give the load more shape, I have used it for sugar beats with sesame seeds as the beats.

And that's what I'd advise, too.

Just for your information, wood chips are somewhat perishable. Paper companies hate for their wood chip trains to be late, teh wood chips dry out and change the properties of the pulp. While not something red hot, get the women and children off the streets, it was something that they wanted the scheduled calender day.

At the chipping locations the stacks of logs waiting to be chipped would be frequently sprayed with water to keep the logs moist until they could be chipped.

post-1062-0-24033500-1332923688_thumb.jpg

That's what I used in mine. If I can find them, I'll take a photo.

CHRIS LEIGH

Two of four cars recovered from deep storage. The other two require repairs. None have been used since the days of Fraser Canyon some 25 years ago. Maybe I'll put Kadees on them and bring them back into traffic. I've never seen into the top of one of these cars but I imagined the load would settle down flat in transit rather than having a mound shape.

If it helps here are some links to some pictures of the real thing:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=369237&nseq=5

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=203589&nseq=36

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=118058&nseq=61

They do seem to have peak to the load, the track side must get good dusting of these if the train picks up any speed.

Nice woodchip cars, Chris, any chance of more pictures?

Nick

I have four - two others need repairs to the bodyside ribs. As far as I remember, one was a scratch-built job from styrene sheet and the others were wood kits but I can't now remember the manufacturer's name. They could be as much as 30 years old. I'll try taking some more pics.

Scratch-built in styrene sheet and Plastruct in the days when no manufacturer had ever heard of BC Rail or the Pacific Great Eastern. I even had my own transfers printed. Cost me upwards of £150 in the 1970s and I had to have 500 sheets printed. I tried selling them without success and threw most of them in the skip when I moved house two years ago.

CHRIS LEIGH

Scratch-built in styrene sheet and Plastruct in the days when no manufacturer had ever heard of BC Rail or the Pacific Great Eastern. I even had my own transfers printed. Cost me upwards of £150 in the 1970s and I had to have 500 sheets printed. I tried selling them without success and threw most of them in the skip when I moved house two years ago.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-36059700-1333358477_thumb.jpg

Kit-built wood chip cars - sold in sets of three, I think. These were wood kits - very nice but a lot of filling and sanding to disguise the grain - and 30 years on, the rubs are tending to fall off. CDS rub-on transfers if I remember correctly.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-22893400-1333358944_thumb.jpg

post-1062-0-68329200-1333358993_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

One more query.

When I gave it some thought, I was surprised to see that these loads were carried not only in open cars but also uncovered. Surely the load would have been affected by bad weather? It would have at least made unloading difficult and what about storage?

Anyone know?

Cheers

steve

Archived