Three of the former Penhyn Quarry engines coming back.

industrial

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

currently at my dad's house and he has been showing me some pics of the recovery operation of the locos that julien birley emailed him, fascinating pictures of them being loaded into the containers for the long trip home, a very precise fit to say the least

there is one very poigniant picture of the cab bulkhead of one of the locos with "last train 1965" and the drivers name written in chalk by him during the loco's final turn at the quarry, sadly the man in question only died last year so he never got to see them come home.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

my dad met up with julien birley this morning to go and see the locos now they have arrived at llanwchllyn...

they should have arrived yesterday but due to a mess up they actually arrived about 8 o clock this morning, in fact at 3am the container was on a southampton to trafford park freightliner container train, unloaded upon arrival and shipped straight to bala, i'd say that that was the fastest the locos had ever travelled on rails in their whole life!

when my dad got there the container had just been placed on the tracks for unloading and the honour of pulling the locos out onto welsh soil for the first time in almost 50 years was carried out by julien's quarry hunslet "Alice", my dad being my dad didn't take a camera with him though!

Archived