The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Model Railways in estate agents photographs

Sweeps

Mrs Sweeps is intent on looking for a new house and we've visited online every house withn a 100 mile area of her search (well it seems like it) However despite all the photographs of bedrooms, payrooms. 'hobby rooms, etc I've never seen a model railway - has anyone or on the other hand have you gone to look around a house only to find a layout and meet a fellow modeller? It must happen.

Guest stuartp

I'm not sure it's the sort of thing that sells houses, even if you'd want to advertise you large collection of portable wealth to the local hoodies. A big empty hobby room in the other hand...

Before my last house got cluttered up with wife, child and accompanying junk, most of my largest bedroom had the trainset down one side and a quite ridiculous number of plastic aeroplanes down the other. By the time the estate agent got anywhere near the place it looked like a photoshoot for Ikea.

I did once look round a house in which the spare room had been painted in camouflage colours and filled with the owner's collection of Action Men and 'Soldier of Fortune' type mags.

Surprisingly, I've recently seen two such rooms with layouts in: one the generous attic space of a 450k+ rural pile and another in the converted double-garage of a similarly appointed property.

Both featured in the EA's set of photos. Can't recall any gen other than they were both OO, and a few details giving an idea of the size of the respective room!

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine went to view a house, only to find there a layout that he recognised, and was thus able to know who's house he was looking at... It does happen.

Andi

I've also heard of people viewing the converted loft and saying "it'd make a great layout room" to be told "don't say that to my husband, he's spent the last two weeks dismantling his layout as he thought it'd put people off buying if they had to clear it out"

• RMweb Gold

There used to be occasional adverts in the back of Railway Modeller for layouts with house/bungalow attached. I haven't read RM for a few years so perhaps there still are such ads.

I had an 00 gauge layout running around the semi-basement office - when we went to sell the house the realtor (agent) pressed me to remove it and return the office back to being a family room complete with TV etc.. Since the layout was solidly fixed into the walls - anything else that I made would have suffered from excessive wobble - (a level in my hands is a worse than useless thing - for there also was an inexplicable 2 inch incline from one end of the layout to the other). It took quite a bit of time and effort to demolish and repair the walls.

So it would seem that the people in the retail home business have a low approval of model railways.

Archived