How to get in cab of a Bachmann 4MT?

Ajax

On noticing that some of the cab glasing was coming loose i poked all the glasing out to prevent any getting lost and then tried to get inside the cab to put the glasing in and glue it.

Easy? .........not to me it aint :unsure: got the body off easy enough but to get into the cab is proving to be very hard! Any points would be gratefully recieved!

TIA

Ajax

On noticing that some of the cab glasing was coming loose i poked all the glasing out to prevent any getting lost and then tried to get inside the cab to put the glasing in and glue it.

Easy? .........not to me it aint :unsure: got the body off easy enough but to get into the cab is proving to be very hard! Any points would be gratefully recieved!

TIA

Ajax

Is there a mad scientist in the area who could put you in his shrinking machine? Then you could just climb through the open window and fix things.

Sorry, but I have no knowledge that's actually useful to you. But I couldn't help myself. :D

• RMweb Premium

TIA

Ajax

Very long nosed tweezers should do the trick.

36E

Very long nosed tweezers should do the trick.

36E

Putting the glasing in with tweezers and cocktail sticks isn't a problem but to glue them in and make sure the job is done properly without the risk of fogging the glasing I really need to get into the cab properly.

Now where is that shrinker......!

Seriously still in need of help.

TIA

I take it to be the 2-6-4T you are referring to. The cab can be taken apart but you need to remove the body from the chassis(beware of the pipework!) . Once the bodu is off you will see a screw under the cab. Removing this releases the cab roof and boiler top from the rest of the body making access to the cab easy. In fact I have deliberately left the screw undone on mine as it means the gears and dcc socket can easilly be accessed simply by undoing the front body fixing screw.

I take it to be the 2-6-4T you are referring to. The cab can be taken apart but you need to remove the body from the chassis(beware of the pipework!) . Once the bodu is off you will see a screw under the cab. Removing this releases the cab roof and boiler top from the rest of the body making access to the cab easy. In fact I have deliberately left the screw undone on mine as it means the gears and dcc socket can easilly be accessed simply by undoing the front body fixing screw.

Many thanks for that! Yes it is the 2-6-4 I'm refering to. Done all of the above however the cab and smoke box area look free but there is a lot of resistance around the firebox and having applied a lot of force it still won't budge and I don't want to break anything.

Am I missing something?

Many thanks for that! Yes it is the 2-6-4 I'm refering to. Done all of the above however the cab and smoke box area look free but there is a lot of resistance around the firebox and having applied a lot of force it still won't budge and I don't want to break anything.

Am I missing something?

Check for any other screws, if not all I can think of it is some glue holding some boiler fitting in place. Otherwise the moulding is fitted into the chassis with a tab type fitment that the screw I referred to originally fits. Try poking a small screw driver through the screw hole and see it that releases it.

Just to bring this thread to a conclusion and give info for anyone who gets stuck in the future.

There was a small(ish) amount of glue on the water tanks holding them to the metal frame - by running a craft knife down the joint the glue was broken and freed the loco top thereby giving access to the cab.

Putting back together was easy enough but I've got a few black pieces of plastic a few holes that look like they should be filled with them but not being familiar with the protoype I've got know idea where and how the go!

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Archived