Best glue for Metcalfe kits?

Hi Guys,

Just a quikie, I have purchased a few Metcalfe kits for my pending layout and would like your thought on what is the best and quickest drying glue to assemble them?

I did buy a small glue gun from maplins for 4 quid but not sure if this is suitable.

Thanks

Richard

Ive used both pva and uhu both fine but pva best where it might squeeze out as easily wipes away and drys clear,also gives you time to re position pieces.glue gun can be stringy, drys to fast and thick.Is good for doing scenic work like card formers and such like,which i use mine for.

Tel

edit spelling

PVA or UHU. I think you will find the glue gun glue a bit thick and gooey.

I use Pritt Sick PVA in tubes. It dries clear and quickly. Evo Stick Wood Glue is also excellent.

For the grey structural parts, use UHU, as PVA takes an age to dry on these parts.

UHU for me for card kits we use a liquid Glue bottle with a needle system which allows precise application of glue and a brush for the larger areas

avilable from lots of places but a link here to show what I mean

http://www.sourcingm...em-p-96395.html

or from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replaceable-Needle-Clear-Plastic-Bottle/dp/B0051EAGKE

eddie

Hi Richard,

I use PVA* for most of the time and UHU for fixing the windows.

* just a cheap one, 1 gall for £11 @ B&Q

Jeff

Me too. Cheap PVA everytime.Means I can make up buildings during lunchtime at work with PVA from the art department.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

I use yellow carpenter's glue. I used to use white glue, but found the yellow sets a bit faster -- too fast if you make a misteak.

I'm still experimenting for the windows.

The man himself did a video about the company where he recommended UHU.

Given that UHU is sold in different fomats in different countries, I have found the UK variety too stringy, and if accidentally smudged onto Metacalfe printouts with remove the top layer if you try to wipe it off.

A French variety, called UHU Power extra, is sold in a stick form and is very good and clean to use.

Roket glue is as has been said, very runny, and retains a slight tackiness for a long time. An inexperienced user may find that the little piece you are trying to to stick to an other comers away on your sticky finger instead of staying where it should be. It is good for sticking non-absorbant materials [the printed sides of cereal packets] especially if one side is given a thin aplication and left to dry. Then it works almost as an impact [Evostik] glue.

PVA is my preferred glue, a small bottle of good quality stuff such as 'Resin W' will do dozens of models, and I wholeheartedly endorse the recommendation above of the finetip applicator.

Cheaper PVA does have its place in card modelling, Not only for ballasting, I use it at 30% dilution for priming the back of large areas such as platform tops and roofs to counteract the 'bowing effect' which can occur when the upper surface is papered/painted, then re-painted when the colour wasn't thought to be right and so on!

UHU stik glue I use for fixing texture papers, why have I mentioned it here when you asked about Metcalfe models? Because I usualy photocopy my metcalfe models so that in the event of a serious mistake, a damaged portion can be printed out and used to repair the relevant area.

Finally, a tip for putting glue on little details such as letter boxes, house names, signs et cetera....place them face down on the sticky bit of a Post-it note, wipe over with glue stick then pick off with a pair of tweezers to put in place......

I hope this helps, the best tip I was ever given when I said wanted to make a kitchen dresser at school woodwork classes was 'First make a box to put the knives and forks in...' i.e. start small and work up to build confidence and ability!

Best wishes,

Doug

[inveterate Cornflake packet murderer]

As others I use a mixture of Cheap PVA, No More Nails PVA for when I need the extra grab and quicker drying, Glue Sticks, Impact Adhesive (UHU) for sticking glazing to card, and Superglue Gel/Liquid for smaller details.

• 4 weeks later...

I use something called Weather Dek. I think its usualy used for flooring in the construction industry

Its basicaly just like PVA, but its less runny and it dries loads quicker (when you pour it into a pot it starts drying after only a couple of mins). Its good stuff, quite strong. It can also do the windows no problem.

Archived