K42 Full Brake interior layout

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I am just about to start on my first Comet kit, a K42 full brake.

I would like to add a basic representation of the interior.

I know these particular vehicles had a corridor and there is an internal photo in Russels GWR coach book volume 2.

But it isn't clear to me exactly how the full layout was. I'm assuming there was a guards compartment and that it would have looked something like:

post-6916-0-16605400-1333554367.jpg

Can anyone confirm if I have it right or otherwise?

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Appologies, you are correct. I meant K42. But my question still stands as I believe the only difference between the two was the width (8' 6" vs 9')

I'll amend the title and original post.

• RMweb Gold

Ok Brian.The layout is probably like your diagram but to be honest you won't see anything through the windows anyway.On mine I didn't model the interior and you won't get anything for it from Comet !

Here's my effort. http://www.rmweb.co....k42-full-brake/

I think theres one preserved on the SDR if you want to peek inside one. http://www.southdevonrailwayassociation.org/Coach-276.html

Edited to provide SDR link.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.

That's a very nice coach you have there.

i know you are unlikely to see much but I would like to just do a simple interior out of plasticard as with the corridor you wouldn't be able to see all the way through the real thing,

What did you use for the safety bars inside the windows?

• RMweb Gold

What did you use for the safety bars inside the windows?

I did them in word spaced out the right looking width and then ran the clear plasticard through my printer although I think you might be able to buy etches for them now ,certainly ones for the doors,Roxey or Blacksmith I think.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Rob, I had a look at the SDR website and they had a few pictures of their K42. Although there was nothing specific they did talk in terms of two luggage areas and a guards compartment so I think my sketch isn't a million miles out.

Thanks again :)

Archived