Flat bed lorries 1:76 / 00 scale RTR - 1970's era

Ben04uk

Can anyone recommend an appropriate flat bed lorry (3/4 axle - not articulated) in 1:76 / OO scale for use on a 1970s era layout? It appears that most of the available ones seem to be branded for a particlar use, such as bricks, ale, or milk.

I just want a generic flat bed lorry (preferably a Bedford TK or similar) I that can use to transport sacks (i.e. agricultural produce to load into a 12T van) and/or coal (from 16T mineral wagons) to/from a goods yard. There must be some out there but I can't seem to find any!

Can anyone recommend an appropriate flat bed lorry (3/4 axle - not articulated) in 1:76 / OO scale for use on a 1970s era layout? It appears that most of the available ones seem to be branded for a particlar use, such as bricks, ale, or milk.

I just want a generic flat bed lorry (preferably a Bedford TK or similar) I that can use to transport sacks (i.e. agricultural produce to load into a 12T van) and/or coal (from 16T mineral wagons) to/from a goods yard. There must be some out there but I can't seem to find any!

Plenty of stuff out there . From B-T models you have the BMC FG for the coal merchants, do not use somthing too high as your coalmen will complain. Or the TK for your agricultural goods. If they have branding for the wrong product, it is usually easily removed by nail varnish remover or T cut and cotton buds.

Merf.

Just as a general point, for the work you describe a 3 or 4 axle wagon would be too big, as Merfyn said Leyland FG or Ford D series (not the most accurate shape) from Base Toys or an EFE or Oxford Bedford TK fit the bill. Also a consideration is an EFE Leyland/AEC Ergomatic is right for the era, but these tended to be more for distance hauliers as they were an expensive and heavier motor.

Not a clue on the product codes, but browse ebay or ehattons.com for the relevant manufacturers and you will see a range of suitable models.

• 8 months later...

You might also find LAD-cabbed Albions, Leylands or Dodges such as DA53 or Leyland Mastiff (DA 11). If your layout is based in one of the more 'careful' areas of the UK, then you might find something like a Commer Superpoise (A004)- in Stoke on Trent, in the late 1970s, there was a haulier from the Tean area who was still using an early 1950s Morris Commercial 'Chinese Six' tipper to load clay from Stoke Yard. At the time, I was working relining brakes and clutches for HGVs, and we used to get a lot of old stuff coming through. A lot of the smaller operators would buy second-hand from the big boys, and have them repainted and lettered when time and funds allowed.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not many very old lorries around by the 1970's. However there was a 1940's Austin (Classix) and a Dodge of similar vintage still delivering coal around Dagenham into the 80's. Both were immaculate, finished in a dark blue and black livery.

Don't suppose this was the 1950s  Morris Chinese six  FC ?  what a device suppose they expected 10 ton loads with that extra axle , mind good airhorns on roof !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bedfordal/7858824248

That's the beast! I was beginning to wonder if I'd imagined it. Thanks for posting; I notice I got the district of North Staffs wrong. To add to previous contributions, a Thames Trader wouldn't be too out of place.

Archived