West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

"Smashing sound from that 25"

Thanks, coachmann.  It's been the same chip in the 3 videos, just the speakers/speaker combination that's varied.  I hadn't really realised before how much it pays to try different ones.  The big bass one needs one that will bring out the mid to high tones as well.  On the v4 XL chip, there's connections for 2 speakers, so you're not working out whether to fit them in series or parallel from the same connectors.  However, I've played safe (I think) by using speakers with the same ohm rating.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 1

Hi all.

I'm gradually getting round to scenery matters - by doing a bit of painting.   Ticket booths, oil drums and the fuelling point have all had some treatment.  Here are some pics of them:

post-7571-0-14036000-1478793836_thumb.jpg  

The ticket booths don't look too good in extreme closeup but in the first pic are not too bad.  The wood strip under the drums is just to present their better side!!

The fuel point is painted and is here - without the pipes yet:  left from the viewing side and right, from the driver's side:

post-7571-0-79239800-1478793860_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-32858000-1478793869_thumb.jpg

I've used enamel or acrylic paint and then a wash of thinned down weathered black - in some cases wiped off with a tissue before it dries.   The drums are (if I remember rightly) Skytrex, the booths Highland Castings and the fuel point from Peter Clark.  The booths are probably not right for a Merseyside layout but they were all I could find and they'll be under the canopy, anyway.  I'll take a pic of them in situ in a day or two.  The fuel point will be a bit longer as I need to do the groundworks first.

The drums will be around the fuelling point, apart from the 4 with the tarpaulin - they'll go on the shunters' tuck with a couple of bikes, once the latter are painted.

Then there's the portacabin and its contents!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

I've glazed the booths and tried them on the station.  Here they are in the position they'll be in.  At first I wanted them facing each other but there wasn't enough circulation area between the pillars, so they're back to back - a much better arrangement.  There will eventually be a fence along the platform edge behind the buffer stops and also alongside the stops for a few (scale) feet to stop passengers falling over - but all in good time!!

Yes, they are at an angle at the moment because of those flagstones but that will be sorted.  These closeups do show blemishes that otherwise are lost in the overall look, but they'll be worked on -- eventually!!  Overall, though, it's beginning to come together!!

post-7571-0-26002500-1478810048_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-45456100-1478810059_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-28521900-1478810069_thumb.jpg

Rod

• Like 8

Work is underway preparing for the arrival of the backscene buildings on Monday.  Pics here:

post-7571-0-44930900-1478968474_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-76223800-1478968482_thumb.jpg

The back walls will be covered with white-painted or white-faced hardboard but at the left end there will be 3 bays where the hardboard is right against the wall so the uprights will be proud of them.  Hence the white paint.  The 3 right bays will have the hardboard against the uprights but the supports for the roof beams will also be proud of them: hence the white paint (again!).

The short bit of paint will be under the signal box diagram.   The hardboard now needs cutting to size and then fixing with No More Nails.

All the stock is stored on the outside section while this is going on!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 5

I've got most of the white walling done today - was up early painting the back of the hardboard as it showed a bit of a tendency to bend (I left the new stuff in the shed overnight Friday when I'd bought it.  Kept it in the warm house last night!!0

The No More Nails didn't work too well yesterday but that was due to it and the wooden wall being cold  I left the NMN on a radiator all morning and put an extra heater on in the shed during the morning, so was working in nice 20 degree warmth this afternoon - and the NMN works well (in fact, I'm well impressed with it!)

The last piece of board is cut to shape and just needs gluing up tomorrow and that's the back wall all white now.  Here's a couple of pics of a full station to show the effect:

post-7571-0-39483400-1479076119_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-27306300-1479076131_thumb.jpg

Much less "clutter" (ie, bare shed wall planking) in the background.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

I've got most of the white walling done today - was up early painting the back of the hardboard as it showed a bit of a tendency to bend (I left the new stuff in the shed overnight Friday when I'd bought it.  Kept it in the warm house last night!!0

The No More Nails didn't work too well yesterday but that was due to it and the wooden wall being cold  I left the NMN on a radiator all morning and put an extra heater on in the shed during the morning, so was working in nice 20 degree warmth this afternoon - and the NMN works well (in fact, I'm well impressed with it!)

The last piece of board is cut to shape and just needs gluing up tomorrow and that's the back wall all white now.  Here's a couple of pics of a full station to show the effect:

attachicon.gifIMG_2425 - Copy (1280x596).jpg  attachicon.gifIMG_2426 - Copy (1280x573).jpg

Much less "clutter" (ie, bare shed wall planking) in the background.

More soon.

Rod

Looks quite neat. I suspect it is reflecting a bit more light back at the layout now!

JF

Looks quite neat. I suspect it is reflecting a bit more light back at the layout now!

JF

Yes, it does do, Jon.  However, I've not tried any coupling up yet: I do wonder if there will be enough extra light to make a significant difference.  I'll test it later.

Rod

• Like 1

I hope this isn't getting boring - but here's a couple more pics of the layout with all the backboards now in place.:

post-7571-0-09747800-1479133316_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-36253000-1479133328_thumb.jpg

It's a pity some of the supports are still visible but that's how it has to be.  I did take part of one out behind the station building and replace it with a metal strap but I was nervous about doing it along the back, not wanting to affect the structural integrity.  The unpainted one in the 2nd pic is where the signal box diagram goes - as here:

post-7571-0-08817600-1479133338.jpg

So all is ready now for the buildings.

The white background does help with uncoupling, Jon: I was able to fasten a plug on one of the DMUs which normally requires a torch: it's nothing massive, but it is an improvement.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 4

What's to prevent you screwing plywood back sheets to the vertical framing as I did in the shed.....

attachicon.gifWEB Shed backscene 1.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Shed backscene 2.jpg

It was getting enough depth for the buildings.  At one point, the rear siding is very close to the baseboard edge and fastening the boards to the supports would not have left enough room.  I could have had straight platform roads, but the real thing has curved platforms and, to me, that adds an extra bit of interest so I wanted to recreate it.

Rod

• Like 2

Hi all.

They're here!!  Paul has delivered them and fitted them around the supports and I think they are absolutely superb!!  Here's 6 pics of them:

post-7571-0-11875300-1479147549_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-70259800-1479147565_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-36205000-1479147581_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-23545500-1479147594_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-62482200-1479147604_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-62963000-1479147613_thumb.jpg

What more can I say?  Apart from needing to add finishing touches like a fence, dustbins, bikes, the odd car, they're just fantastic.  Overall, in my opinion, the supports don't spoil the scene at all.  They're probably more prominent in the pics than in real life.  I think because there's so much "going on" with chimneys, extensions, etc they're not too obvious.  At one stage, I was thinking of painting them with the roof colour, but I'm going to leave them.

What a difference they make!!  One very happy chappy here!!!

More soon.

Rod

PS   Paul is also going to make me a model of the actual signal box - with all 65 levers!!  A large number are white, but I'll go the whole hog!!  

Edited to add PS.

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 16