West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

TV aerials - as I recall, they would either be H or X depending on the transmitter not the broadcast channel. Thus you would normally only see one type in an area depending on the transmission polarisation. Mixing the two types is a modelling aberration.

Dave

Though you could have a Yagi antenna, mixed with 'H' or 'X' types, but then only if you were posh and had a colour telly :)

Interestingly, both photos seem to show a vertically oriented (does this mean horizontally polarised?) dipole type aerial with transverse rods, as well as the H and X types. I certainly remember the older aerials, but have no clear idea of what types were used when.

I dare say there will be contemporary photos of West Kirby with antennae of various descriptions sprouting at various angles... I think we used to get our telly signal from somewhere near Moel Famau.

Someone will know...

Best

Simon

• Like 1

These photos were taken, I suspect, during the VHF 405-line transition to 625-line UHF transition in the mid-60s with colour on UHF arriving in the late-60s. The horizontal antenna, as today, is to receive the later form of transmissions.

Here on a steep bit of the south coast, we are so perfectly shaded from anything remotely resembling a TV mast, our solution is freeview, and a satellite dish. Prior to freeview, and internet streaming, reception was dismal, requiring absurdly tall masts on the chimney, and an amplifier up the pole. And it was still dismal. Probably could have had French telly.

Did have a look for relevant photos from my childhood on the Wirral, but no luck

Best

Simon

Thanks for all the comments about TV aerials.  The only pic I've got which really shows them is this one (it's a cropped version of one I've used before):

post-7571-0-56541800-1479333233.jpg

The aerials aren't on the houses I've had modelled (off-scene to the right) but there's no reason to suppose they'd be any different - is there?

What kind are these then?  I must admit I've not got a clue!!

Rod

"With regard to the fencing, isn't the ugly palisade fencing  bit too modern for your era? I would have thought the chain link fencing was more in line with your period. Cue debate about the introduction of said fencing!!"

HI Kevin.

That's a very good point you make, which, to be honest, I'd completely overlooked.  Partly because I can't find any pics which show well the fencing between the houses and the track.  All I can find are these, which aren't completely clear - or not of the right place:

post-7571-0-56267300-1479334245_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-24090300-1479334252.jpg  

They are both around the signal box which is a bit removed from the houses but it's a fairly logical step to assume that in the 70s/80s this is the kind of fence used.  Basically, I can't find any pics of 503s and palisade fencing so, to maintain some accuracy, I'll dispense with that idea - as good as Pete Harvey's stuff looks.

I'll have to look at this tulle that Julian (Softvark) talked about.  I haven't a clue what it is or even where to find a haberdashery so that's another job to do!!!   I'd just use the straight posts though, not the ones with the top bent over (I've pics of that style but with 507s!!)    Thanks for that suggestion, Julian and, yes, I think you should have a thread about your layout - those 2 photos really wet the appetite.

Watch this space.

Rod

• Like 2

Long time lurker here, Rod - really enjoying what you are doing! As an exiled Wirral boy, I too would love to see a 503 or two (no pressure!) - they were great units.

Anyway, for all you need to know (and things you don't need to know) about early TV aerials, you could do worse than to look at

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/albertsattic/view.shtml

Keep up the good work!

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 1

Though you could have a Yagi antenna, mixed with 'H' or 'X' types, but then only if you were posh and had a colour telly :)

Thanks for all the comments about TV aerials.  The only pic I've got which really shows them is this one (it's a cropped version of one I've used before):

attachicon.gifstation roof 2 - Copy.jpg

The aerials aren't on the houses I've had modelled (off-scene to the right) but there's no reason to suppose they'd be any different - is there?

What kind are these then?  I must admit I've not got a clue!!

Rod

Rod, those are the 'Yagi' antennae I mentioned earlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi%E2%80%93Uda_antenna

Rod, Simon is right you know ...... some of those leckies would look pretty impressive in 7mm

Craig

Craig

I give you 10 out of 10 for trying to get those DMUS off Rod,must admit third rail would look nice just how I remembered when I went there,you could run both.

Steve

• Like 2

Well, if he sticks a model of Bidston in the outhouse (which, given he's just about done WKT, should only take him a couple of months) he could run both lekkies and weasels. What more could anyone want...? (Apart from dark green locos with copper capped chimneys)

:)

Simon

Craig

I give you 10 out of 10 for trying to get those DMUS off Rod,must admit third rail would look nice just how I remembered when I went there,you could run both.

Steve

You're right, Steve, I could have both i.e. 3rd rail and DMUs.  I could always concoct a story about why the leckies weren't running.  However, that comes under the "would be nice" category, as opposed to "essential" (like scenery) or "no way" (as in - all 503s).

TV aerials are in the "preferable" category.  Fencing first, though, and I've looked up tulle on Wikipedia and also found a haberdashers not far away so that looks like a goer in the not too distant future - after the fuelling point, crew portacabin/signing-on point, etc, which  stuff is in the process of being painted.  Then it's a pathway and grass on the approaches.  So much to do!!

And Bidston isn't part of the plan, gentlemen!!!

Rod

PS   Simon, one of those funny kettle things - dark green with a copper capped chimney - is a possibility - as a preserved example.  I had thought of a small Prairie but they weren't local so the local preservation society might not have been tempted: a large one, perhaps, but I tend to favour an 0-4-2T.  But then I'd need an autocoach - or two and somewhere to store them.  Again items for the "would be nice" category"!!

Edited by Dmudriver

As promised earlier today here's what tulle looks like for a chain link fence on my 7mm layout.

The top wires could do with a bit of straightening!

attachicon.gifFuel Depot Fence (2 of 2).jpg

It works well on gates too.

attachicon.gifFuel Depot Fence (1 of 2).jpg

Hi Julian.

What size is the tulle you used?  I've found information that talks of 1.5 to 3mm.  And are the posts 3mm square?  I've not found any fencing or posts locally to measure.

Rod

No idea about the correct name, but we always called them "BBC2 aerials". They'll be fine if the era is correct.

Best

Simon

It probably is, Simon.  Those are all 503s in the station - which you can't see because I've cropped them out!!!

Rod