West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Will you be getting a Dapol 08 - look good shunting your parcels stock

Paul R

It's crossed my mind, Paul, but I've got a perfectly good 03 (plus match truck) that's really up to the job and I don't want too much more stock than the layout can comfortably handle.  Even a preserved ex-GW loco would be pushing it.

Rod

Hi Rod

Here's a shot of the tulle -

attachicon.gifTulle (1 of 2).jpg

The posts are 2.5mm square section plastic.

You can use the tulle for passable fishing nets as well -

attachicon.gifTulle (2 of 2).jpg

Thanks, Julian.

I'll see what I can get hold of.  Those fishing nets look rather good, too.

Another fascinating glimpse of your layout.  You must do a thread on it.

Rod

I don't rate 08's although everyone seems to be going in for them, but a DMU has crossed my mind.

Yes there seems to be a bit of 08 euphoria at the moment.  But at least producing these at a reasonable price means more people will get into O gauge I suppose..... I digress....

... but a DMU has crossed my mind.

Ewwwwwww :(

... I mean me considering a diesel is a big step for mankind haha...

Now you're talking, a big BR Blue diesel... go on... it's the future :D

Edited by HealeyMills

I don't rate 08's although everyone seems to be going in for them, but a DMU has crossed my mind. I mean me considering a diesel is a big step for mankind haha...

Yes Coachman, Easybuild do Mk1 Coach and DMU kits. I'll have a Mk1 BG soon for you to cast your eye over before plunging for one, as I believe the build method is pretty much the same.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

I don't rate 08's although everyone seems to be going in for them, but a DMU has crossed my mind. I mean me considering a diesel is a big step for mankind haha...

DMUs ..... give that man a Cigar ..... nowt wrong with a humble Bogcart

Craig

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the plastic DMU kits. I went through the assembly instructions while on their site. I presume each window has to be cut individually to fit in the recess behind the etched external window frame? A DMU will be some way off in the future I have to admit. I got into them yesterday while watching some video I took in 1989 when they were still rife in North Wales. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the plastic DMU kits. I went through the assembly instructions while on their site. I presume each window has to be cut individually to fit in the recess behind the etched external window frame? A DMU will be some way off in the future I have to admit. I got into them yesterday while watching some video I took in 1989 when they were still rife in North Wales. 

Coachman

If the DMU's are like the MK1's the windows simply fit behind the etched frames and are already moulded to size

Paul R

Oh dear!  What have I done???

WKT has got GRONKED!!  I've ordered a Dapol 08 from Hattons this morning.  Having said I wouldn't as I was happy with the 03 (which I still am), I've read Jinty, Andy P, tove, vaughan45 and various others, plus I've watched videos of it - on DC and DCC sound - and I've given in.  It will look (and sound) good shunting the Mark 1s and the parcels stock.  The 03 will be returned to the Birkenhead shed it is allocated to but will be used to bring in the fuel deliveries (it's faster than the 08) and to substitute for the 08 when that's on maintenance or repair.

I've rung Digitrains for the Zimo chip but unfortunately they're waiting for new stock and, guess what, I'm not the only one waiting!!  I'll use a Lokpilot chip for the moment.  

I've got 08202 which really suits my period but what is the reason for not fitting wipers?  I don't believe it's an error when you look at the detail on the rest of the model: has anyone seen a pic of 08202?  I've had a quick look but haven't found anything yet.

I've given in on this but, be warned, gentlemen, not on third rail or 503s!!!!

Watch this space for the arrival of the gronk.

Rod

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Just been catching up after a manic few weeks.  Wow those buildings really do bring the whole scene to life - they are wonderful!  I've had a couple of conversations with the same chap about a couple of buildings for my layout, just to move things on a bit.  Nothing on the scale of yours, just smaller bits, but after seeing those houses I'm convinced!

Glad to see all is coming on, you should be chuffed to bits (no pun intended) and with your declaration of no electrics, the nickname of 'sparky' can't be used!  Seriously tho, it really is looking great.

Well done.

Rich

• Like 1

He's here!!  The Gronk has landed!!

Very,very pleased, I must say, with how it/he looks, at least.  Here's a few pics of him being put straight to work, getting ready to pull out the Mark 1s after arrival behind the 50:

post-7571-0-24992200-1480702944_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-75893200-1480703048_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-28188900-1480702975_thumb.jpg  

Actually, the camera does lie as there's no power to the track as it's not got a chip in it yet!!!  I've bought one of Paul Chetter's Protodrive ones.

In the meantime, I'll run it on DC on my rolling road and at the club on Monday if the chip's not come by then.

In the fullness of time, it/he will be renumbered 08078 which, according to my (well, my son's!!!) 1979 Locoshed book was allocated to Chester.  (Neither Birkenhead North or Mollington Street had any 08s at that time, according to the book).  However, I've found a photo of the same loco on Brian Daniels' Flickr photostream at Swindon in October 1979, looking all nice and shiny and clean  but with yellow coupling rods.  I assume it was overhauled/repainted at Swindon: whether it went straight back to Chester, I haven't a clue but the 1982 book shows it/him at Chester.  So, I'll keep it/him pretty clean and say he's just back from overhaul!!

Repainting those coupling rods is a bit of a priority as I don't like the red ones anyway.  That'll probably get done before the renumbering.  

I've seen Andy P's comments about a bass reflex speaker: although I've ordered a twin speaker with the chip, I've a couple of bass reflex ones, so I'll try both with the chip to see which appeals to me more.

Watch this space!!

Rod

PS  What is the convention for describing an engine?  He or she - or just it???  I can't see an 08 as a "she" somehow!!!

• Like 12

I've also fitted one of Jintymans BIG ROUND Speakers in my Blue 08 and that is totally different to the Bass Reflex from Paul's. I hope to do a short Video over the weekend and post on Beale St.

Love the length of that Station, it's really impressive.