West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

2 hours ago, pwr said:

Looks really impressive Rod. Don't forget to have a car with its roof cut off by pneumatic shears in a corner of the compound - one that they practiced on. or is that too early for your timeframe?

Paul R

I had a pal, now sadly departed, who was in Merseyside Fire Brigade many moons back.  He told a tale of a senior guy demonstrating said shears at the Liverpool show.  And in so doing, cutting off his own finger.  Apparently, he placed the shears on the floor, picked up the digit, and managed to take off his microphone and walked calmly off set, and into the ambulance display next door, all without screaming.

Pros, these guys...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

I'm going on to it shortly to find out when number plates became white/yellow with black letters as opposed to white on black!!

Reflective numberplates were available from 1968 but became mandatory on new vehicles from 1st Jan 1973. Vehicles can, after application to the DVLA, use black and white plates if registered before 1st Jan 1979.

Dave

Re number plates.  Who needs Google when I've got you lads chipping in??!!  Thank you for your comments.

So, basically, I'm happy I can use either style for my road vehicles.

I'm now looking for a black Ford Popular, a polar white Hillman Imp and a white mini - all cars which I've owned in my early years !!  I can even remember the numbers of 2 of those 3!!

I'm still looking at ways to dispose of the 2 promotional minis - I'll try the road vehicles forum on RMW and then Ebay.

But in the meantime - see the next post!!

Rod

• Like 2

I've been working on a bit of "fiddly" stuff.   And here are some of what I'm on with.

Someone has got a contact in the Council Parks and Gardens department, by the looks of it - to keep the p-way boys happy on their depot breaks in the sunshine!!  But also with a rubbish bin (insisted on by management!) to keep the area tidy.

IMG_20200812_183036.jpg.69153be2b54b7f731910936840e35d69.jpg

IMG_20200812_183105.jpg.1b4df2a2a300526e1f4329f2d70cc42a.jpg

Benches and bin courtesy of KS Laser Designs - no connection, just a satisfied customer.   The fire station and fencing is also theirs.

When I say "fiddly", the rubbish bin comprises 28 separate pieces!!!

More little items to come.  Keep watching this space!!

Rod

PS  Train staff have started agitating for benches outside the portacabin now.  The shop steward is getting ready to go and see management about it!!!  I suspect the reply will be short and not very polite.  Industrial relations problems looming I suspect!!   (This is where my work life comes back to haunt me!!!!)

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

On 11/08/2020 at 19:55, Simond said:

I had a pal, now sadly departed, who was in Merseyside Fire Brigade many moons back.  He told a tale of a senior guy demonstrating said shears at the Liverpool show.  And in so doing, cutting off his own finger.  Apparently, he placed the shears on the floor, picked up the digit, and managed to take off his microphone and walked calmly off set, and into the ambulance display next door, all without screaming.

Pros, these guys...

Think the Firefighter was from Speke fire station if I recall? 
have previously posted this link,  however it’s worth another look! West Kirby fire Station history page 

http://www.fireflash-delta64.co.uk/westkirbyarch.html
hope it’s of use!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And, in some other news, ............

The layout will be appearing in the Gauge 0 Guild's Virtual Show on 31st October 2020.

I've said I'll do a couple more videos (closer to the time when, hopefully, I'll have a lot more scenery done.)   These videos will have their first showing at the Show: they will appear on Youtube but not until after the Show.    One will be a "normal" weekday service and the other will be a summer weekend service with the 2 preserved steam sets in action and no parcels traffic (and no shunters, either!!)

No pressure, then!!!

Rod

PS    The Show will be open to all, it's not exclusive to Guild members: link here:  https://gaugeoguild.com/news/files/0d9468a8-e1f7-4de7-8013-18bc0a79699f.pdf

• Like 4

Thanks for the link Rod I'll be there on October the 31st to watch and envy the modelling.

Great

PS. I've not visited the link yet but is there a start time or is it anytime on the day?

OK after visiting the link I see the show runs from 9.30 through to17.00 with layouts - traders - how to's and other options to view -- I know what I'll be doing on October 31.    https://gaugeoguild.com/news/files/0d9468a8-e1f7-4de7-8013-18bc0a79699f.pdf for further details.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Agree 1

Some cracking scenery additions Rod really brings the track side to life ....full marks for your perseverance in constructing a rubbish bin consisting of 28 pieces...:scared: to be honest if we're me an old oil rusty drum would all the PW staff would have got , keep up the excellent work :clapping:

Edited by gismorail
  • Like 3

On 16/08/2020 at 22:02, Simond said:

Rod,

if I may offer a suggestion, the ground cover between the box & the hut jars a little - it’s too uniform imo.  

Puddle, muddy bit, more dirt, tyre tracks maybe...

Hi Simon. 

That's a very fair comment and I completely agree with you - and it has set me thinking about whether I should go into more detail.

However, 1) I don't have the skills at the moment to effectively achieve a much better finish and 2) there's that little thing called "time" that comes into play!!  

Predominantly, I've still got a lot of layout to bring life to - close up photos such as I've inserted above don't show the size of what is still left to do.  I could learn to do the scenery in detail but that is going to take time and practice.   I've said before that my main objective in having the railway is operation and I've achieved what I set out to do with that.  Plus, I've got the stock I need to run the sort of operation I planned when I started this - something like 10 years ago now!!!

In operating and acquiring stock I've tended to upgrade and improve as time has gone on.  Now what I feel I need is to get a minimum basic background to those operations so that the trains are being operated in a somewhat realistic setting.  Once that is done, I can start detailing it.

As for the time constraints, as I've said above the layout is appearing at the G0G Virtual Exhibition at the end of October and I'd prefer not to have large areas of bare board in the videos.  Add to that that I'm getting on in years and my abilities are fading, slowly I think - tho' my kids and grandkids might have something to say about that statement!!  **

So, I'll stick to the overall plan for now and aim to get some basic scenery done, then I'll start going into detail.

Don't think I've "taken the huff" about your comment.  It's given me the chance to pause and look at what I am doing - to evaluate where I'm up to really.  It's also made me realise the amount of work that's needed for a large model railway as opposed to a "plank", for example!!

What a fascinating and diverse hobby we all have in railway modelling!!

Rod

** They were, however, very impressed with what I achieved with the park benches and waste bin above.  As was I, considering my medication-induced shaky hands!!!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Yes I agree with you Rod I now find [@76 yo] all bits of me are beginning to be effected from eyesight through to all my joints.  I'm very impressed with the amount of work you have achieved with your model, well done.

I've already reduced the size of my present layout to some thing much more manageable and making my soldering of wires easier to achieve by using bus-bars which are on extended wires so I don't have to crawl underneath the boards.  I then secure the bus-bars with Velcro.  

I'm now deciding to reduce my layout boards down again to being workable / playable individually but can be connected together if I so desire.

There are some fine examples of this policy on here, one being  Mike Bragg's layouts  Reelly Grate, Primrose Hill, Wellington Street.

I salute your work volume and skills Rod my future is to cut down on my build time to get into my play time using a fiddle board shunt stick so I can use just the single layout board with the stick attached.   

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 4

Rod,

I’d be really sorry if you’d taken offence, as I’d always hope my comments are constructive & helpful, I’d never want to criticise for the sake of it, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your journey over the years (even if I do go on about green 508s and the third rail :) ).  Sometimes a different perspective can be an eye opener, and really helpful, and I guess other times it might not be!

I completely understand about time & priorities.  My loco shed will get its slate roof one day!

keep doing what you enjoy, it’s all that really matters

atb

Simon

• Like 5

Thanks Jim you're spot on with the extra light being needed.  I have 2 magnifying led lamps for bench work plus a hand led torch for close up work.   Even my shed has LED "fluorescent tube" style fittings which are great and I recommend them.

Back onto topic  :offtopic:

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

On 12/08/2020 at 20:17, Dmudriver said:

I've been working on a bit of "fiddly" stuff.   And here are some of what I'm on with.

Someone has got a contact in the Council Parks and Gardens department, by the looks of it - to keep the p-way boys happy on their depot breaks in the sunshine!!  But also with a rubbish bin (insisted on by management!) to keep the area tidy.

IMG_20200812_183036.jpg.69153be2b54b7f731910936840e35d69.jpg

IMG_20200812_183105.jpg.1b4df2a2a300526e1f4329f2d70cc42a.jpg

Benches and bin courtesy of KS Laser Designs - no connection, just a satisfied customer.   The fire station and fencing is also theirs.

When I say "fiddly", the rubbish bin comprises 28 separate pieces!!!

More little items to come.  Keep watching this space!!

Rod

PS  Train staff have started agitating for benches outside the portacabin now.  The shop steward is getting ready to go and see management about it!!!  I suspect the reply will be short and not very polite.  Industrial relations problems looming I suspect!!   (This is where my work life comes back to haunt me!!!!)

You could have cut down on the number of pieces for your bin if you'd pinched one off the Council....

1381487293_CouncilLitterBin.JPG.912bcbc8e8efa0c7a101752583969b8d.JPG

About 20 minutes work with a bit of plasticard...  :jester:

The workshops, the PW shed and the trolley look good too, better get gates on the compound, or those sleepers will "walk" for alternative uses!

(I've kicked the Ofqual marking machine and its given you an A* in CDT!!!)

Edited by Hroth
Spelin, wot else?
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

It might be of interest to know that the landscaping of the former Cadburys factory at Moreton (the target of the WKT parcels service) has been listed as one of 20 post-war landscapes to receive protected status.

image.png.516a7477c9f5a64fde8e1d497a1f4f08.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53849665

In the background, you can see the Merseyrail station!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Simond said:

Around 60 years ago, I lived about 20 metres from the next station up (well, towards Liverpool) the line.

i was a bit young to remember much about it.

atb

Simon

The main thing I remember about Leasowe station when I was young was that the area by the "up" platform was wild and wooded.  Now its just another housing estate...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/08/2020 at 20:05, Hroth said:

The main thing I remember about Leasowe station when I was young was that the area by the "up" platform was wild and wooded.  Now its just another housing estate...

That was the old tennis courts - you could still see the base of the courts amongst the trees!

out of interest, Leasowe crossing box had disused levers that apparently served the Cadbury sidings?

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, bazzoh said:

out of interest, Leasowe crossing box had disused levers that apparently served the Cadbury sidings?

Cadburys had a lever frame with 2-4* levers and a bell alongside the "main" line.   I suppose the Leasowe box had a lever that controlled the interlocking.  The other thing that comes to mind was the head shunt that curved away towards the footer pitches and looked like a piece of 1st radius track!

* Can't remember precisely how many now...

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, JimRead said:

Hello, I wondered if Cadbury's had their own loco at the site as they did in Bournville.

Cheers - Jim

Indeed they did - a Hudswell Clarke diesel mechanical D1012/1956.  Rail traffic had ceased by 1975 and, IIRC, the loco went to Llangollen.

Ray.