Speakers! small but LOUD!

Just wondering! Has anyone tried usuing a mobile phone speaker? i am sound chipping my 00 gauge 08 but the ngauge speaker is extreamly quiet! so i am wondering would it be possible to use a mobile phone speaker? anyone have any ideas?

chris

I Have fitted the Speaker that came with the sound chip.

I removed the complete radiator fans that are behind the grill.

I Aint found its to quiet.

It comperes with the sound levels from the others.

I slit the sides from the back box and managed to get it to slide within the Space between the fixings on the Hornby 08.

Just wondering! Has anyone tried usuing a mobile phone speaker? i am sound chipping my 00 gauge 08 but the ngauge speaker is extreamly quiet! so i am wondering would it be possible to use a mobile phone speaker? anyone have any ideas?

chris

It depends a lot on the decoder in use as well as the sound. The CT SL75 with the supplied speaker is *loud* and the speaker is tiny. It's even louder if you superglue it to the chassis block or body to give it a bit more mass. That looks to me very much like a mobile phone speaker ?

First question however would be what you are using for a speaker enclosure and how you have the speaker fitted. The Loksound micro can be very very inadequate with a small speaker unless you've got a good non leaky enclosure. Beyond that there are some good cheats if you are able to edit the recordings - one when using small speakers is to filter out the really low frequencies (which the speaker can't do anyway) and then bump the volume of the rest so you get the energy in the areas that can be output.

Just wondering! Has anyone tried usuing a mobile phone speaker?

The only thing to watch, especially if you're using a Loksound decoder, that the impedance of the speaker is suitable - otherwise you could destroy the amplifier on the chip. A 100 ohm impedance speaker is required for Loksound chips.

HTH

The CT SL75 with the supplied speaker is *loud* and the speaker is tiny.

I was told by Arnold Huebsch that this speaker was actually used for the purposes of mobile phones and that to get them at a sensible price, thousands have to be bought.

The only thing to watch, especially if you're using a Loksound decoder, that the impedance of the speaker is suitable - otherwise you could destroy the amplifier on the chip. A 100 ohm impedance speaker is required for Loksound chips.HTH

Agreed but one can run down to 50 ohms as long as the power rating is adequate. In general, most sound chips will operate successfully and louder at half the rated ohmage as long as that power rating is watched. Obviously, chip life is less certain which is probably the reason that Loksound uses 100 ohms.

CT uses 8 ohms on the SL74 but 32 ohms on the GE70 and SL54. Digitrax swapped from 32 ohms to 8 ohms on the SFX0416 and SFX004 due to universal complaints about volume.

It is relatively easy to source high quality small speakers in 32 and 8 ohms. 50 doesn't exist except as one half of the double 15mm Loksound speakers and 100 ohms is unique to them. I am actually not sure whether this is a ploy to make you buy their speakers but they are available in a variety of sizes and all with the essential ingredient of an enclosure.

Note that the Loksound XL runs 32 ohm speakers which are not supplied as standard.

CT uses 8 ohms on the SL74 but 32 ohms on the GE70 and SL54. Digitrax swapped from 32 ohms to 8 ohms on the SFX0416 and SFX004 due to universal complaints about volume.

The Digitrax SFX004 is supplied with a 32Ohm speaker and runs best with it - the SFX0416 also seems happier at 16-25Ohms than 8, so I'm not sure they switched to 8Ohms or made them 8Ohm tolerant or what. The CT speaker is no longer the smallest available btw - there is a Soundtraxx 10mm speaker (3/8inch) and housing that is a fraction smaller, but more usefully a different shape - just under 11mm round in the optional matching enclosure piece but slightly deeper.

• RMweb Premium

chris

Remember that 08's aren't loud in the first place. I presume by "N gauge" speaker, you're referring to a Loksound Micro and small rectangular speaker. If that's the case, then the reason it's quiet, is that there is no enclosure around the back of the speaker.

I've used a standard Loksound 3.5 and fitted a 23mm round, with enclosure into the cab.

Cheers,

Mick

there is a Soundtraxx 10mm speaker (3/8inch) and housing that is a fraction smaller, but more usefully a different shape - just under 11mm round in the optional matching enclosure piece but slightly deeper.

What is the ohmage of that one and is it available separately?

• 2 weeks later...

8 and yes.

http://www.dccsuppli...Path=24_157_215

The 10mm baffle kit will take one speaker as a single ended chamber or can take a pair of speakers one each end of the chamber.

I've been playing with these speakers a bit more as I needed something truely tiny to stuff into my N gauge Worsley Works 41 which was very short on room, in part because I weighted the ends with milliput and stuff before I discovered sound.

On the plus side the reproduction quality is nice - a lot cleaner than the CT default speaker. It's quieter unsurprisingly. Bass reproduction is not great but that I suspect is partly due to the lack of a good chamber as the loco is so short of room. It looks like it may also be valuable for some tender powered steam locos where the smokebox is big enough to bore a chamber down the weights in the loco body. I don't currently feel up to sticking a Union Mills T9 into a vertical drilling machine to investigate in depth however.

Archived