RMweb

5 inch gauge Sentinel

As this isn't exactly model railways and is more model engineering I'm not sure where to put this so here it is...

I bought this some years ago:

Wakefield-20120409-00135.jpg

It's a 5-inch gauge locomotive, obviously a Sentinel vertical boilered type. On the web I've seen pics of similar locos under construction so I'm guessing that what I have is either a kit or is made from a set of published drawings?

If anyone has any information regarding either the manufacturer or where to find the drawings, or anything at all about this locomotive, I'd be interested to know more.

Thanks.

Thanks, chaps. I have a friend now looking through his collection of model engineering magazines. I can't see me doing anything with it though. I don't have the skills or the tackle to build something like this.

• RMweb Gold

Checking through some of the Model engineering threads, and the Sentinel if it is the Constable version uses the Stuart Turner double 10 steam motor to power it.

They also mentioned that there are a number of dimensional errors in the drawings as serialised in Me all those years ago. (So parts don't fit together properly, as opposed to scale dimensional errors).

Regards

Richard

What a fun project!..........It`s just crying out for one of the new generation of electric traction-motors/gearboxes.......top it with a brass or brass/glassfibre combo. for the body/coachwork; (and from what I`ve seen) that`s nothing your modelling-skills couldn`t cope with, Dave.....it`s just 'scaled up'. :good:

IMHO, that chassis is infinitely-more detailed that the 'outline' 5" gauge battery electrics on sale as kits. :read:

I dunno, Debs. When I bought it (for £20) I had ideas of making some Thomas Hill diesel loco bodywork for it as TH converted prototype Sentinels to diesel-hydraulics. I was going to make it battery powered but, as you can see, I did nothing with it. Having thought about it though I just love the idea of a live steam loco but have to accept that it's way out of my league. For one thing I wouldn't have the first clue where to begin when it came to building a boiler, especially a Sentinel one with its water tubes and being vertical and all...

• 2 years later...

Archived