Met dreadnought ends

London cambrian

Hi all, especially those with knowledge of the following!

Just finishing off the 5 inch gauge Met Dreadnought coaches, and about to add lighting and heating control rodding and boxes.

The arrangement seems to vary from end brake end to end, and on the end of 3rd and 1st class coaches.

It woukld seem 1st classes would have just one heating box, full thirds have two heating boxes and on some they have one lighting box. And brake thirds have two heating boxes and a lighting box that varies from side to side.

I know its a long shot but can anyone shed light on their arrangement? I'm pretty sure its to do with numbers of heaters, trains having lighting controls at both ends only and the splitting of six coach formations into three sets for off peak working and variation of running sets, and the variations between batches, as well as handing of sets.

So anyonmes help before we do anything would be appreciated. Unfortunately i cant supply pics, they are nearly all copyright!

Cheers

Mark

The Vintage Carriage Trust has a picture of a 9-Compartment third which has assorted boxes & rodding on:

http://www.cs.vintag...fo.asp?Ref=1082

Unhelpfully it is all painted black but some manipulation on a downloaded copy might help you show a better contrast. Aside from that my Metropolitan Railway Rolling Stock Book doesn't have any drawings on the rodding at the coach ends. And my own dreadnought model (4mm Scale) has differing rodding arrangements compared to the photo above as well despite being a full-third as well.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

~ Gary

Hi matloughe,

I didnt make this clear but i'm having to go outside what exists, those ones at the VCT have been bodged so much through their lives, the whole of the end of th first are new so no control boxes. Thats really what i need. Drawings in books are unreliable, soi am looking for specifics

I've got a friend searchuing the acton archives, see what he unearths, but the batches varied and even then between coaches, i suspect they were handed. Really i need

- concrete evidence of what was on the 1st classes

- confirmation of the arrangements on the 3rds

- what were the arrangements for all batches of all brake 3rds, they definitely had everything on the ends, but which batches where which

- whether there was seperate controls for lighting at each end, especially if some full thirds were given controls on the ends so when they were split into three sets for off peaks ops.

Thanks anyway Matloughe, tracing thepositions is incredibly difficult

Pic looks good, not seen it before. Got a vehicle number? Thats the best way to match box formations. One thing is for sure, its not the 1910 or 1923 batches.

Anyone with info will be received with open arms!

Thanks all

Mark

• 4 months later...

yes, there were.inbuilt tail.lamps, a working feature we have.included in.our models. if you search out LCs 5 inch.gauge blog, I've.put pics up of the finished vehicles, may put some more up on here at some point,

and yrs when paying punters complained third class coaches were given more heaters so indeed 3rds were better heated in the coach! and if one was.in the know, and you caught a train with one of the three composite 1st third coaches, you could get all the leg room of a 1st class seat on a third class ticket!

Is there an electric tail lamp built into the back of the brake cars?

If you mean the casting a the bottom extreme right of the end, then no, that is not a tail light. It is a socket for the through power cables that were used on sets fitted with extra shoe beams and contacts.

Hi Bill

There was a tail light built into the ends of the vehicles, it was to the right, about waist height below the second up step. I dont know when they were fitted, as early shots are difficult to come by, but they were certainly there in London transport days.

As to the casting on the body ends, they were indeed the train line connectors and sockets, but they were fitted on either sides of vehicles, depending on which end of a set the brake coach was at. The train line was down one side of a set, it didnt apear to swap sides, it more appeared that brake vehciles were handed, i dont know exactly how, but i suspect it could be even and odd numbered vehicles.

I'll post a few pics of our dreadnoughts, with as far as we can tell correct vehicle ends now, thanks to a friends with access to the archives.

Cheers

Mark

Archived