U class 3500 or 4000 gallon tenders

Tim Hale

Hi,

The U Class SR moguls seem to have been coupled with either 3500 or 4000 gallon tenders, my tattered ABC shows an underlined 31610 (possibly seen at Yeovil Town) but I have no idea of the tender type. What are the visual clues to distinguish these tenders and were the tenders a factor in the allocation of the locos?

Thank you

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim

The majority of the class had the 3500 gallon tenders but the last batch built at Ashford in 1931, numbers 1630 to 1639, had the later 4000 gallon tenders these were easily distinguishable due to their sloping turned in top (similar to those fitted to a Schools class) rather than the 3500 gallon version that was straight sided (as per for example those fitted to a Q class).

I am not aware of the tender capacity being a factor in the locomotive allocation as both versions were often allocated to the same sheds but does not mean that specific duties within a shed might have used the larger capacity versions as a preference.

Graham,

Many thanks. I have ordered the DJH K87 which purports to represent 31610 and hopefully it might turn out to be a good model. Our previous discussion, elsewhere, certainly removed my reluctance to use the DJH kit as a basis for the non-rebuilt batch.

Having 'copped' 31610 whilst at Sherborne*, it seems churlish not to build a model of the loco and use it on Beaminster Road.

Tim

*And now living in the town

Archived