LH100 or Multimaus...

Nickey Line

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I'm planning on upgrading my current handset (Lenz LH90) and I've whittled the choices down to the Lenz LH100 and the Roco Multimaus 10810, to use with the Lenz LZV100 base station.

Does anybody have any decisive insights on these or does it come down to price?

And has anyone had any dealings with MDR Direct Online Retailing?

http://www.keaygroup.co.uk/mdr/cms.php?id_cms=7

The site looks good, genuine etc., but I've not been able to find any testimonies on this or any other forum...?

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have both the LH100 (bought with my Lenz set) and a Multimaus.

For operating the layout I prefer the Multimaus over the LH100 for programming its the other way around.

If using a Multimaus with a Lenz system you will need to put a 22R resistor in series with the L wire (I swapped the supplied cable for one from a LH90 and put the resistor in the DIN plug). Without this I found that when moving from socket to socket around the layout the Multimaus would lock up when plugged back in (If you never unplug the Multimaus while using it you won't get this problem).

Cheers

Paul

The most cost-effective way of buying a Multimaus is usually part of a Digital Starter Set - especially if you find other content you are interested in - whether H0e or H0 (or TT)

However, some shops also break the sets and sell the controllers and power supply separately - search on Ebay.

Especially since you already have a Base unit (and presumably power supply) you have no need for the transformer, if still offered - so trade it in before delivery and save postage, perhaps even getting a refund on the transformer (I did with my dealer,on a whole start set)

PRESUMABLY in your proposed configuration, The LENZ UNIT remains the 'Master', with all handsets as Slaves, running on Expressnet .... this is how I think the Roco MultiCentralPro also behaves - probably so that it continues to be able to function when comms to the wireless handsets is lost!

By CONTRAST: The Multimaus when used with the Roco '764 Amplifier is the Master (6-wire connection to Master Socket - with the dcc signal being generated inside the Master Multimaus), with extra Handsets as Slaves on Expressnet

Prices may be lower since the announcement of the Z21

• RMweb Gold

Having read the replies I think maybe I've asked the wrong question!

Really what I'm looking for is a slave unit with more functionality than the LH90.

As the Multimaus appears to be capable of operating as a complete system in it's own right perhaps it's not the right choice for me.

It seems slave units are a bit thin on the ground?

• RMweb Premium

Having read the replies I think maybe I've asked the wrong question!

Really what I'm looking for is a slave unit with more functionality than the LH90.

As the Multimaus appears to be capable of operating as a complete system in it's own right perhaps it's not the right choice for me.

It seems slave units are a bit thin on the ground?

Hi

The Multimaus works very well as a slave to the Lenz system. Not sure what extra functionality you expect from the slave controller.

It might be worth having a look at the manuals for the Multimaus and LH100 then compare these with the one you have for the LH90.

Lenz here

http://www.lenzusa.c...e1/Manuals.html

Multimaus here

http://www.roco.cc/p...s/handbuch.html

Cheers

Paul

You can buy the MultiMaus as a handset only, but it's usually as cheap to buy a full system off from a start set- £80 seems to be the going rate from ebay. The handset from one of these will work perfectly well as a slave, with the resistor mod outlined previously if you want to move the handset to different sockets during operations. The Lenz command station is a better piece of kit than the Roco one, slightly more powerful and with separate programming track for starters. Look at it another way, buying a full MultiMaus set gets you a full spare system for backup should you have any problems with the Lenz!

If you're looking for more functionality than the LH90, I'd make the more capable handset your master controller anyway!

And finally, I'll add another echo to the calls that the LH100 is best for programming, and the MultiMaus best for operating (although I find the LH100 quite nice for shunting). If you'd like to borrow a MultiMaus to try, I could loan you one if you're anywhere near me.

.....Really what I'm looking for is a slave unit with more functionality than the LH90.

As the Multimaus appears to be capable of operating as a complete system in it's own right perhaps it's not the right choice for me.......

Unfortunately Adrian, additional handsets (cabs / throttles) are limited to the DCC system manufacturer's own designs, or compatible items from other manufacturers.

So yes it can be limiting and basically your choice comes down to the LH90, LH100 and MultiMaus.

I think you are really talking about the MultiMaus (handset) purely as a throttle, rather than the complete MultiMaus system.

To use it with the Lenz system, you just need the handset and not the rest of the MultiMaus kit.

Just because some/most of the MultiMaus Command Station functionality is contained in the handset, shouldn't make any difference as this will be disabled when used as a "slave" unit on the Lenz system.

Therefore there is no need to discount it from your list of options.

However, I like Rich's ( Taigatrommel) suggestion to buy a full MultiMaus system and keep the other components as a back-up. It makes a lot of sense.

The LH100 will cost around £140 new and a MultiMaus handset can be had for between £40 and £60 off eBay (mostly secondhand, but many are brand new). So there's a big price difference.

But a complete MultiMaus system can be bought, brand-new, for around £70 - £90 and you are not limited to eBay either. There are respectable German Model shops who will supply them directly, brand-new split from train-sets, for the same price as similar brand-new examples on eBay.

e.g. ModellBahn Kramm advertise complete systems at €79.99 + p&p (£66.00 + £10 p&p) - compared to their own price of £92 for the handset on its own !

Another option, which may not suit your particular needs, but others may want to consider, is to use the Lenz Ethernet interface and an iPod/iPhone running the TouchCab app.

This is a fairly cheap route to wireless control, particularly if you already own one of these devices.

There's a new video showing some of the features of TouchCab 1.7, including the set-up and operation with the Lenz system, just posted on YouTube this week. - Link here.

(note: TouchCab has a loco naming feature, shown in that video. The MultiMaus also has loco naming and the Lenz will, as soon as the appropriate updates are released).

I use Atlas HandCommand controllers (Lenz LH30s) as extra throttles on my Lenz system, but they don't fit the bill of having more capabilities than the LH90 (they have 2-digit addressing and 5 functions). They are fine for what I need (running consists without sound on my North American N). The master is na LH100.

Adrian

Archived