Good news for Trev and Phil H

shortliner

Is 'DDC & Sound' a misprint or some system of which I am unaware?

No, Steve - there are DCC only (ie no sound - control only) and DCC and Sound locos available the latter are usually much more expensive - a good example would be some of the Bachmann locos are DCC only

No, Steve - there are DCC only (ie no sound - control only) and DCC and Sound locos available the latter are usually much more expensive - a good example would be some of the Bachmann locos are DCC only

Thanks Jack. Thought the 'DDC' bit must have been a misprint. Just wondered if it was a specific Bowser variant on traditional DCC like, I think MTH used to use (don't think they still do, not absolutely certain though)

Good to see they have covered most of the variants for the MEC. ISTR there was one unit that arrived in RI red with various different coloured doors, but I am not sure if that one entered service or was cannibalised.

The finish on the great pumpkin should be extremely rough to be correct. It was very much a rush job and looked as though the paint had been applied with a yard brush in a dust storm.

For the MEC they were pretty heavy engines and not allowed on most of the branch lines. Pre-Guilford, they spent their time mostly on the Bangor-Portland main line or the wood job out of Waterville up to Rumford.

Is 'DDC & Sound' a misprint or some system of which I am unaware?

No, Steve - there are DCC only (ie no sound - control only) and DCC and Sound locos ......

I put the appropriate bit in Steve's quote in BIG letters. ;) I sense a touch of sarcasm or irony there too....

The "Specsavers" adverts come to mind, Jack..... :D (sorry, 2nd time in 24hrs...)

The arrival of the U25s in July 1980 caused quite a stir in the railfan world in Maine, partly because it represented a further shift away from EMD, partly because for MEC they were quite big engines, and partly because it was fun waiting to see what Waterville would do with them. #234 (aka Rocky) became a celebrity, and I think the railroad was enjoying it too because Rocky was more often than not the lead unit. Lurking behind Rocky is Fore River RR S4 #18 that had been up to Waterville for attention.

post-277-0-29355700-1334627716_thumb.jpg

The Great Pumpkin (232) was another celebrity, but it wasn't Waterville's finest moment as the finish was really bad and the whole thing was a rush job to get it in service. After seeing what they could do with 226, 232 really came as a shock.

post-277-0-69444300-1334627826_thumb.jpg

Rocky was probably the most presentable of the lot, and the only one that came in RI blue. The rest were a motley bunch, but entered service as-was with just the new owner's name stencilled on the cab side. This was taken as the whole job lot of them made their way slowly up to Waterville. #231 was wrecked in Fitchburg in 1987

post-277-0-19960400-1334627958_thumb.jpg

Eventually we saw what Waterville would do with them if they had the time. #226 was the first to get yellow paint, and looked pretty sharp.

post-277-0-69578700-1334628058_thumb.jpg

And some of them were never intended to see service, they were bought for parts only.

post-277-0-57358900-1334628113_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Archived