Padstow in 4mm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I'm wondering if I could fit something like Padstow into my loft space. Its a lopsided U shape, about 14' by 7'6" usable, with the possibility of another 6 feet or so at one side of the U (Fiddle Yard) but access to the later is difficult.

I've been trying to gauge just how huge Padstow would be if done to scale. (St Merryn is pretty big, and its smaller than the real Padstow.)

My thoguhts would be to have Padstow at one side of the U, snip a bit, have the viaduct where the line curves round the the bottom of the U (might compress the radii a bit) then run on to the fiddle yard. But am I barking up the wrong tree - is Padstow, even with selective compression, going to be much longer than 12 feet or so?

Am I right in thinking modellers backtrack in the Iain Rice days did an article on the North Cornwall Line? Are there any other references folk recommend?

• RMweb Gold

The standard reference work on the line beyond Okehampton is the Irwell Press "An Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway" which was updated a few years back, with substantial additional input from 2manyspams of this parish. Middleton Press's "Branch Line to Padstow" is also helpful. I can recommend both works - although each includes considerable material about other locations than Padstow, which may help in setting the scene, however.

Peter R's North Cornwall site as identified by Mickey is certainly worthy of close examination, including WTTs etc.

A worthy prototype if ever there was one!

T...the Irwell Press "An Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway" which was updated a few years back, with substantial additional input from 2manyspams of this parish. ...

Am I right in thinking this is about to be reprinted? I'll try and order a copy.

It is the Fish Dock sidings and Jetty extensions which cause Padstow to have such a large footprint.Measuring from a scaled plan, I think the station "core" from the carriage siding end stops to the "headshunt" beyond the turntable is about 16 feet long and of a manageable width(3 feet?) in 4mm before "selective" compression" ,but the jetty lines are a big problem - another 12 feet in length and increased width, although I suppose the jetty tracks could be modelled passing close to the Big Fish Shed instead of diverging away at a 45 degree angle.Suggesting the continuation of these might be difficult assuming the "water" will be at the front.

I agree with the recommended reading list

Were the jetty sidings much used in later years? Lots of references to the 1955 strike effectively killing the perishable traffic. If so, I could stretch that side of the U and feature them, provided they weren't being actively used (access virtually impossible) or simply have them heading "Offstage" and not model them (as done on many American layouts)

• RMweb Premium

Padstow done to scale without compression would be nearly 30ft (assuming that you are doing it in OO) long to get the area just beyond the station throat to the end of the fish quay in.

You would have to do some significant compression to fit it in. The fish quay sidings would be a good place to start with this. Once you start compressing the rest you can still get all the features in but you are going to loose some of the usability too my eyes.

Gut instinct says that you could create a very good n gauge model in this length but the only T9 available RTR in n is rather limited in detail, as a key loco for this line this could be a limitation.

• 2 weeks later...

I based my terminus on a simplified version of Padstow

post-489-0-52258800-1335550965.jpg

post-489-0-71863700-1335551022.jpg

Counting the sharp exit curve at the far end, the footprint is 2650mm x 600mm. The exit curve is a bit of compound compromise, but equates to a "third radius". All my r-t-r six-coupled loco types cope without problem.

It is a work in progress at present.

PB

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread. I usually post on a thread and that is the last anyone hears of it.

You may want to look at my 00 version of Padstow in the layouts forum. (or just do a find on Padstow) It is only the throat to the end of the station tracks and is 12 feet. My Padstow Mark II which is in planning will be about 16 feet for the same with the compression in the fish wharf and old wharf tracks as suggested above. The platform will be a little over 6 feet in length which closely matches the prototype.

My inspiration for all of this switch to Padstow was an article in of all places, the Great Western Railway Journal #65, Winter 2008 along with a visit to Bodmin in 2009. There was a sort of lonesome picture of the station area from the end of the tracks on Page 49. My 4 years of work on GWR Brixham was ripped up and replaced with SR Padstow.

For the Mark I version the fish wharf was omitted. I have been having a lot of fun with the layout even though is little more than a 12 diorama. It is in an office and there is no room for a fiddle yard or turn beyond the 24 inches from end of the first turnout. The scene setting is now the new Hornby Van B on the tail of the P set of the Exeter-Padstow train entering the station. Still all olive Maunsell stock with N Class 1860 on the head. ( I model immediate postwar before nationalization.) I will have to run around with 1860 and move the Van B to the back platform track. The shunt the P Set onto the siding in front of the Fish Shed. After that I can rebuild the up ACE after the WC has been turned (manual turntable using 0-5-0 power.)

The station was quickly cobbled together from card/plastic and paper stone overlay from some dimensional plans I managed to devise from the reverse image plan for a North Cornwall station in the Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway and photos. I will expect you will do much better. The signal cabin is the Kernow Wadebridge version and I know the stairs and entrance are on the wrong side. One of these days I will replace both with correct structures.

Good luck, I hope to see what you achieve.

Ken, thanks for resurrecting this topic. What you have achieved and plan are both excellent. Alas, my butterfly brain is currently focused on other plans and ideas - the Eden valley or the Sussex coast. Plus I still have most of my American stock to play with...

Archived