Ely Exhibition - Saturday 12th May 2012

andykwilkinson

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that our 34th annual show will be at the City of Ely Community College CB6 2SH on Downham Road, Ely on Saturday 12th May 2012. We have two large halls and there will be live steam outside too. Layouts include Roland's Castle and many other fine ones too.

This year we are lucky in that Ely has a brand new about city bus service called Absolutely (yeah I know, naff name). The Norfolk Green mid-sized buses can provide those of you coming to Ely by train with a cost effective option, from a stop at the southern end of Broad Street (a mere 5 minute walk from near Ely train station), to Ely College on Downham Road.

We open the doors to the public at 10.3AM and close at 5.00PM. There will be a cafe selling tea, coffee, sandwiches and cakes too.

Lots of information on the new website that Keith, our Vice Chairman, has just built about all the layouts and traders coming to the show so take a look on these links

Layouts and Traders - Main Assembly Hall:

http://www.elymrc.or...embly hall.html

Layouts and Traders - The Gym:

http://www.elymrc.or...on content.html

How to Get To Ely Show:

http://www.elymrc.or...xhibition .html

Hope to see some of you there!

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately it will all be TT scale stuff with us.

Mind you I could bring my test track (all 3 feet of it) with various gauges on it and a few N scale locos to test as the TT layout has a bit of space left over when loaded in the car unlike the others!!

Ian

Hi Ian,

The test track could easily go at the end of your layout (near the door), either at an angle or flat up against the side of your layout. Obviously, I don't want to impinge on carefully planned out public access space/corridor widths etc. (as we normally get a really public good turn out)..... but if it's only 3ft long and narrow that should work just fine.

You have my hall plan (in your Final Pack sent a few weeks back) so you can see where I mean.

Bring it along!!!!! :-)

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Thats fine. We will fit it in somewhere. It is only 6 inches wide and doesn't have to be set up all of the time.

I might bring one or two of my N scale class 168's Chiltern railway DMU's with me that I have been working on this week.

Ian

OK, looks like our Vice Chairman's publicity efforts seem to be paying off, at least locally, since our forth coming show made the Ely Standard's 'What's On' section. The photo they used is of one of our members, Chris Turnbull, operating his excellent 7mm modern image layout Cromer (at one of our previous shows, obviously).

Note to all our exhibitors. On Saturday 12th May don't stick your tongues out when operating......just in case the Ely Standard's photographer is lurking somewhere nearby!!!! :stinker: Oh, and I see we are also listed under their section that includes comedy.... :no:

post-2942-0-68784300-1336045542_thumb.png

Malcolm Hine (our Exhibition Manager) was with me in the pub last night when we learnt some unfortunate news via a phone call.

The owner of Magpie Scale Models, who was to be one of our Traders at the Ely Exhibition next Saturday, 12th May has passed away unexpectedly. His name escapes me right now but our sympathies go out to his family and friends at this difficult time. His widow has asked us to remove his phone number and details from our website list of Exhibitors and Traders, see links in the 1st post, in order to reduce the number of calls she is getting. This has been done already. Unfortunately, his details will still be in our many, many hundreds of free show Programmes that we'll be handing out next Saturday (as those have already been printed).

We've already have had 2 kind offers for exhibition standard layouts that could fill the small gap in the Main Assembly Hall that this unfortuante occurance has created. Details will be posted on which layout is coming once Malcolm has got it all sorted - so watch this space.

Just to inform you that the residents of Obbekaer are taking it easy this week before they visit their twin town for the Ely exhibition. As you will see from the photo, one of the locals is contemplating the visit in an idle moment by the yard crane.

It will be a hard exhibition from the logistical point of view - a long journey of 400 yards from our front door, which oddly enough will probably ensure that I forget something and have to run home for it!

See you all next Saturday.

Geraint Hughes

(Obbekaer: Ribe-Gram-Vojens Jernbane)

post-6407-0-00938800-1336226013_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Translated - if Google Translate did it correctly!!

good day

Smrzovka will be loaded into our vehicle next friday ready fro the journey to Ely.

We hope to have more Czech trains detailed for the show.

Ian

Malcolm tells me that Andy Hastings has kindly offered to a demo of gauge 1 wagon building in the (small) space that Magpie Scale Models was booked for (before the untimely recent death of Ken Gilbert - see earlier post).

Right now I'm finishing my model of The George Hotel, Ramsey, one of the many prototype buildings we've chosen to model from that small fenland town location on our 00 'what if' layout of that name. Many buildings have been made over the last 2 years or so - the piece de la resitance is definitely the huge and complex model of 'The Mill' made by club member John Mitchell. There are many other fine buildings made by Malcolm Hine, Keith Barker, Derek Buck etc. plus the model of Ramsey NatWest bank (as it is now) is mine to - not too mention Jonathan Wealleans who did the fine goods shed. John Minkley is building the Oil Depot that will take that location when we exhibit it in recent era rather than the 1950's, and my bank will become 'The Fen Tiger' - a Wetherspoons (complete with a big fight going on outside....apparently, that's what they told me!). There was even some talk of a Guided Busway extension.....

Signals are now working on Ramsey too. It's really starting to look good. It's been a troubled layout in its long gestation (control panel and fiddle yard traversers etc. had to be completely rebuilt) but I think we've finally cracked it, fingers crossed. :no:

If I get time this week I'll post a pic of The George Hotel too!

OK, off to do a map for the guy that's putting up all the AA style directions signs (our yellow roadside advertising signs should have gone up this weekend - but I've not seen them yet so I hope Terry got it done!)

OK, here's my (nearly finished!) model of The George Hotel in Ramsey, based fairly closely on the the prototype. It'll be on Ramsey at our Ely MRC show this Saturday.

This is a record for me as this building only took me 6 months. My main station building on Thurston 00 took 4 years to complete!

post-2942-0-89388900-1336554209_thumb.jpg

OK, got the hired van from Practical in Ely tonight so we can get the 32 tables and 400 feet of crowd barriers and some extension leads etc. from the CMRA lock-up in Welwyn in the morning. Note to self, DON'T drive it under the bridge at Ely Railway Station in this van en route to Burwell to collect Keith - it won't quite fit (well it might.... but at a huge cost.... :stinker: ). Yet another van got jammed under it this week, even though they recently repainted all the warning signs and changed them from 'Low Bridge' to 'Very Low Bridge'.

Terry's putting all the AA style direction signs up around the A10 bypass tomorrow night and it even looks like it might remain dry on Saturday which would be great for the live steam train rides outside the hall for the children.

Reminder of what we've got coming from all over the UK in these links. Some really great stuff!!!!

Layouts and Traders - Main Assembly Hall:

http://www.elymrc.or...embly hall.html

Layouts and Traders - The Gym:

http://www.elymrc.or...on content.html

How to Get To Ely Show:

http://www.elymrc.or...xhibition .html

Hope to see some of you there!

• RMweb Gold

It is with great regret I have had to withdraw from taking Smrzovka to Ely this weekend. Whilst I am getting over being quite ill during the week, my other half went down with it last night .

She was going to do the two hour drive each way as I am not recovered enough to drive such a journey both ways in the same day with so little sleep etc.

I think this is the first time we have withdrawn from a confirmed invite in the many years we have been doing shows.

My apologies for any one wishing to see the layout but Andy has done a great last minute reorganising and has arranged another layout to take our place tomorrow so all the best to the Ely club and hopefully we will be fine for next year whether with this or another of our layouts

Yep, you two get well now!

I'm very pleased to announce that the superb Fen End Pit will be taking the place of Smrzovka this weekend in one of our large halls, thanks to a kind 11th hour offer from David, its Ely based owner. Luckily for us it's very slightly shorter than Smrzovka. :declare:

We've just got back from Welwyn with all the CMRA barriers - and yes I did remember to take the van over the level crossing at Ely Railway Station and not under the bridge!!! (we had to collect and drop off our Vice Chairman who lives in Burwell, in case you were wondering why I went that way)

I've also just learnt that Star Radio have given us the name of the winner of the pre-show publicity competition that we had running on local radio. The prize was sponsored by Bachmann and the excellent Ely City Cycles (who have a model section upstairs, including model railways) - see their video on YouTube. I gather the prize is worth around £150 too. We're hoping to be able to present the prize to the winner tomorrow sometime at the show. So a big thank you to both Bachmann and City Cycles, Ely as well as Star Radio, Cambridge and Ely.

OK, lots to do as we'll be at Ely College in 90 minutes to get both the huge halls cleared and start marking out for all the layouts and trade we've got coming!

• RMweb Gold

Fen End Pit now installed in the gym of Ely College. That'll save us getting up early for the long drive there (<1mile!). We'll try our best to make up for the lack of Smrzovka - Hope Ian and other half get well soon.

David

Thanks David for stepping into the breech at short notice (we owe you one.....or two or three!).

A number of layouts are now installed in both halls with many more arriving in the morning. After ensuring the Ely College caretaker secured the halls, set the alarms and locked the security gates etc. at about 7PM I've just spent a very enjoyable hour (or so...) in The Fountain in Ely drinking fine beer with Bob Harper. I've know Bob (from my Chee Tor days when I was a Manchester MMRS member doing my studies at UMIST) so it was really great to catch up with him. Bob's here with his excellent Franklin layout - he'll be putting that up in the main hall bright and early tomorrow.

So, looks like everything is falling into place just nicely - even the weather looks promising! See some of you tomorrow!!!

Travelled from the Birmingham area and had a very pleasant day out. Saw my old layout Lenches Bridge now Bankfield Road in the very capable hands of John and Jackie Kneeshaw who have made an excellent job of its refurbishment. My thanks to all those who helped to make this a very good show which I think had something for everyone.

Mike

Really good show, as usual. Thanks to all who organised and got the sun out.

Greatly enjoyed Rowlands Castle, and was very impressed by Obbekaer - loved the trackwork.

Thanks for the compliments. Its a hard work and a lot of effort for every single member of our small Club (and some of the wives) to put on such an extensive show. We're less than 20 members but we do try and "punch well above our weight".

Here are some pictures on the 'Ely People' website. This years theme was Railways of the World, hence the varied and extensive choice of layouts that we had invited.

http://www.elypeople...l/pictures.html

Rowlands Castle won the (public chosen) 'Best Layout' competition (and it won my vote too!), with our last minute stand-in Fen End Pit as a very worthy runner up. Ardez came third in a close fought battle with Hobbs Warren for that position but every single layout got a number of votes from our large crowd. We had about 500 people through the door within an hour of opening (whilst I was outside helping with the car parking directions) and they kept coming in at a steady stream for the rest of the day, only tailing off as usual in the last hour - but we still had a few people coming in at 4.45PM for the last few minutes! Final figures will be somewhere around, or getting close to, a 1000 - not bad for a one day show in the middle of rural East Anglia!

As of Tuesday I'll be handing my Assistant Exhibition Managers file to John Minkley who is taking over that role. He's making noises about inviting lots of "Blue Diesel" layouts as the theme for the Gymnasium in 2013 - but that's yet to be confirmed. After last year's show, I managed to get rid of (I mean "delegate") the main Exhibition Manager role to Malcolm Hine who very much pulled this year's show together (with me just helping as an Assistant when Martin, who was doing the Assistant bit, left our Club).

We're all very bouyed up with the success right now! As to how much surplus we actually made....if any.... we'll find out when we've done all the sums. Inviting layouts from all around the UK and hiring large halls, feeding lots of Exhibitors and putting some of them up on the Friday night in Ely accomodation, hiring vans and paying lots of fuel bills etc. all mounts up very fast!!!! However, I'm hopefull that we will keep the wolf from the door for another year/be able to carry on paying our Clubroom rent and thus keep our Club's membership fees really low as normal (currently under £40/year). We'll be having an initial Exhibition Post-mortem on Tuesday so I'll know more then. The most important thing is that our Exhibitors and Visitors enjoyed themselves.

Anyway, I'm sure Malcolm (who already has a lot of next year's show well planned out) and the "new boy John" will work well together on what will be Ely and District Model Railway Clubs 35th annual show on Saturday 18th May 2013 at Ely College - see you there!

So.....I can concentrate on just being the Chairman now - and spending more time helping build our new large OO roundy-roundy Wickham Market - well that's the theory!

Archived