Bachmann British Railways Standard 5MT – 73050 ‘City of Peterborough’

Coldgunner

post-12769-0-25217200-1335196591_thumb.jpg

History

Complete history of the locomotive is available at the Nene Valley Railway website (http://www.nvr.org.u...story/73050.php)

However the brief history is thus:-

She was chosen to represent the 5MT’s at the International Railway Congress in 1954. After the exhibition she was located at Bath Green Park shed. She was built with the BR1G tender commonly found on the 9F’s, this was to assist with the somewhat ‘consuming’ S&D route. She sometimes piloted the famed ‘Pines Express’.

post-12769-0-17078800-1335196577_thumb.jpg

In 1964 she was relocated to Manchester, onto Patricroft and then withdrawal in July 1968.

Subsequently she was purchased from BR by Rev. Richard Paten and run through the night, 1 month after the steam ban, to her new home here in Peterborough. Named ‘City of Peterborough’ in 1972 and donated to Peterborough City Council the following year she was leased to the Nene Valley Railway.

She was then overhauled at Peter Brotherhoods as an apprenticeship project and out-shopped in BR green. She was overhauled again in 1987, and again put back into traffic in 2005.

She still lives at the Nene Valley Railway and is due to carry the Olympic torch this year (2012).

The Model

post-12769-0-65478700-1335196572_thumb.jpg

Currently my only Bachmann loco, it’s a fine specimen indeed. She is a BRM exclusive model of 500 units.

In comparison to my Hornby offerings, she is above par. She has well defined lining. The quality of the tender is also rather good. Here are a couple of bullet points:

• Bachmann drawbar – This has two positions, a close coupling and a standard length whole. On the close coupling she will go forwards around 2nd radii track, however in reverse the cab side doors will occasionally catch.
  • NEM pockets - I’ll detail this further on…*
  • Detail pack – You’ll get two small packages, one containing the nameplates and the other containing brake pipes, coupling linkage, ejectors and brake gear, along the additional steps at the front of the loco to be fitted separately. With the steps fitted she will still manage 2nd radii curves.
  • Sprung buffers
  • Fine motion gear, along with pre-fitted valves, ladders, fake coal load and legible plates. I’ve added some aftermarket ‘real’ coal.
  • Supplied with the standard ‘slim’ drop hooks found on most UK Bachmann releases.

Detail Images

Cab side

post-12769-0-34301400-1335196537_thumb.jpg

Coal

post-12769-0-81499600-1335196541_thumb.jpg

Smoke box

post-12769-0-16879200-1335196586_thumb.jpg

Valves

post-12769-0-76554400-1335196595_thumb.jpg

Front

post-12769-0-44710000-1335196562_thumb.jpg

Front buffers

post-12769-0-67778600-1335196557_thumb.jpg

City of Peterborough

post-12769-0-47408600-1335196568_thumb.jpg

Performance

I’ve only opened her up once, so this is from memory. It’s not a loco I’d want to keep going into.

I’ve read elsewhere a common complaint with this model is the gearing, although I think it adds to the quality of the model. I believe she is geared in favour of slow running, obviously not as slow as a Hornby 08, but she’ll look silky smooth, even with a decent prototypical rake. She’ll manage quite happily with my 6 Mk1’s and 5 Pullmans.

I believe that as she is an older Bachmann product she has the earlier split chassis. I cannot comment one way or the other with regards to this as I have very little experience with Bachmann locos. All I understand is it tends to be 50/50 whether you get a good runner or a total lemon. Fortunately my example is the former.

She is a good solid weight, which is largely aided by the metal running plate. I experience very little wheel slip as a result.

Personal Conclusion

I am very happy with this model. She’s an uncommon sight on many model layouts, but a recognisable member of the standard 5 family. I bought her mainly due to being a Peterborian myself, but she looks just as good whether hauling some pristine Mk1’s, DB stock or a rake of dirty wagons.

This was the first loco I added the extra detail to, so the nameplates aren’t as well done as they should be.

If anyone is in two minds about the Bachmann 5MT’s, I’d say go for one. I’m looking at adding another BR1G tendered variant for some double heading, alternatively one of her preserved sisters.

*I occasionally swap out the NEM coupling for the DMU coupler, as this is very close to the continental attachments. This allows me to couple of my Lima DB coaches and hopefully someday a set of wagon-lits, as found at the NVR.

Fitted DMU coupling

post-12769-0-01434300-1335196547_thumb.jpg

Continental coupling

post-12769-0-53699400-1335196552_thumb.jpg

73050 coupled to DB stock

post-12769-0-49661000-1335196528.jpg

Acknowledgements

BRM for producing this local superstar!

‘Plank’ layout for photographic purposes, see signature for further details.

post-12769-0-28606600-1335196582_thumb.jpg

Actually conventional wiper pick up chassis rather than split chassis, in case that puts anyone off.

The biggest flaw on this model is the incorrect cab roof shape. There's an extended vertical area above the cabside windows, and as a result the first sloping section of the roof is at a shallower angle than it should be. (Bachmann got the rendition of this element right on their later 9F model.) Have to say it doesn't bother me unduly on the example I own, so it is miles down the queue for surgery.

I believe Bachmann have made a decision not to fit speedo drive representations on this and other models that had them, on the basis of customer problems. However, I do not recall how or where I learned this, so treat that with statement with caution. What I will say is that as fitted to the Standard 5 it was a very 'tweaky' fitting. Although the speedo drive crank had a dog to engage on the crankpin seat centering the pivot on the axle centre, in practise the positioning was very critical, and required several adjustments before the loco ran smoothly. Until at the best position the loco ran like a camel with attitude...

I think I've got the nameplates about 5mm too far forward yes.

Now you mention it, yes there is a little bit too much of a potrusion above the cab, I don't find it very distracting at all. I can see the speedo being a stupidly fiddly thing.

Yes the speedo was in some of the 5MTs I've had (and that's several) a slight problem, in that removal of the body requires removal of the drive at the wheel, which requires the correct socket or spanner, 3mm? unless you are lucky with pliers!. That said, it's always fiddly removing a body. The drive itself was, strangely, on some models and not on others of the same catalogue number. In my experience it never gives trouble so long as the eccentric is dead-in-line with the alxle

Lovely review and very nice photos thanklyou Coldgunner. I agree it's a very nice model, often overlooked. It is not split chassis.

Here is a view of my factory weathered 73050. It is on the closer coupling to the tender and yes it will go around type 2 curves, just, with that position and front steps on... better on type 3 though.

I really think this model represents how brilliant modern RTR 00 models have become! Superb.

post-7929-0-21376800-1335223347.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I believe Bachmann have made a decision not to fit speedo drive representations on this and other models that had them, on the basis of customer problems. However, I do not recall how or where I learned this, so treat that with statement with caution. What I will say is that as fitted to the Standard 5 it was a very 'tweaky' fitting. Although the speedo drive crank had a dog to engage on the crankpin seat centering the pivot on the axle centre, in practise the positioning was very critical, and required several adjustments before the loco ran smoothly. Until at the best position the loco ran like a camel with attitude...

I've heard this about the speedos too and I have to say I support their omission. They have always proved fiddly to deal with when removing the body to fit a DCC decoder and I have even snapped them off on occasion.

....The biggest flaw on this model is the incorrect cab roof shape.....

I got hold of 73082 "Camelot", which will eventually sit on a Comet P4 chassis.

The cabside windows should, I think, also be closer together.

Anyone with the BR1B/C tender derivatives should also note that there is a square bit missing from the front of the side sheets (both sides), where they meet the bulkhead. A bit of suitably-shaped styrene or plasticard will eliminate the gap.

Well done Coldgunner, nice photos too, although you could have mentioned that this was Bachmann's second attempt at 73050! RMwebbers may recall the 73050gate incident a few years ago, when the first production came out with the wrong cab to tender arrangement, as seen on RobMCG's lovely pic ( sorry RobMCG :-) ). At first Bachmann denied that anything was wrong, but they eventually admitted the mistake and produced a correct second version as reviewed above. Members should be aware that there are still incorrect first batch versions floating around the secondhand market, although they would make a perfectly good model of the 73000-73049 batch if re-numbered.

Coincidentally, the new green 73049 has arrived on the scene and a pre-production image showed it with the incorrect later cab-tender arrangement ( the reverse of the above! ). Panic over, the actual production models do have the correct earlier pattern for 73000-73049.

Cheers, Brian.

Well done Coldgunner, nice photos too, although you could have mentioned that this was Bachmann's second attempt at 73050! RMwebbers may recall the 73050gate incident a few years ago, when the first production came out with the wrong cab to tender arrangement, as seen on RobMCG's lovely pic ( sorry RobMCG :-) ). At first Bachmann denied that anything was wrong, but they eventually admitted the mistake and produced a correct second version as reviewed above. Members should be aware that there are still incorrect first batch versions floating around the secondhand market, although they would make a perfectly good model of the 73000-73049 batch if re-numbered.

Coincidentally, the new green 73049 has arrived on the scene and a pre-production image showed it with the incorrect later cab-tender arrangement ( the reverse of the above! ). Panic over, the actual production models do have the correct earlier pattern for 73000-73049.

Cheers, Brian.

No worries about the incorrect tender and or number for my pic of 73050. I think it is a lovely piece of modelling or manufacturing regardless. As you mention above, they did finally get it right and fit the BR1G 5000 gallon tender, ... was this tender the same as fitted to 9F 92002 and late-number 9Fs including 'Evening Star'? I don't recall if Bachmann made this tender in weathered black with 9Fs... 92044 and 92185 both had BR1F according to my Hugh Longworth book. .

This year's lined green 73049 with BR1 tender, as you point out is correct, was the last of the Derby batch of 1953 and worked all her life I think on or about the Somerset and Dorset, as I understand it. I wonder how long it stayed in pristine BR green condition?

I notice in the Hattons pics a very slight bow in the running plate, and wonder if this is camera or maybe a production 'characteristic'?

Edit; just looked through some old photos of the 73050 model and found one without speedo cable and what may be the correct tender version?

post-7929-0-16150000-1335917529.jpg

Rob

Yes, quite right, 73050/1/2 had the same BR1G tender like on those late-build WR 9Fs and some others. I'm not sure if tenders were swapped within type, during a works overhaul, so did locos normally keep their original tenders? There was a certain amount of tender type swapping in the 1960s, during the run-down, for example a SR 75xxx gained a large BR1F tender, probably off a withdrawn SR 73xxx.

I seem to recall reading somewhere, that there were two versions of the green livery on Class 5s, apparently the original Swindon repaints only had a single orange line on the bottom of the footplate fairing, whereas the copycat Eastleigh green repaints had double orange lines. I'm not totally sure how accurate this theory is, it could have been just a policy change or maybe it was down to the whim of the painter/liner involved?

I agree the Class 5 model is a real beauty, but a persisting minor fault on the new Bachmann green 73049, is the raised dome on the tender, as found on Britannias 70025-29 with BR1A ( 5000gall.). A BR1 tender ( 4250gall. ) should have the flattened dome, which looks like an upturned plate. This would also apply to all other releases in the 73000-49 range, but don't have nightmares. ( I haven't altered any of mine yet! )

Cheers, Brian.

....RMwebbers may recall the 73050gate incident a few years ago....

Equally amusing was the issue of ModelRail with a prominent cover photo of the then new Bachmann Std.5, which had clearly not been properly reassembled after being taken apart for a review........

• RMweb Gold

Nameplate should be centered on the dome and where is the Speedo drive?

The nameplate looks to be positioned well offset from the dome in that prototype photo at the top of the thread.

• RMweb Premium

Rob, your superb photo (post 11) led me to examine my 73050.

My 5MT certainly hasn't got a speedo cable - blasted thing broke off after a few months running (I gather this was a fairly common occurrence).

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Rob, your superb photo (post 11) led me to examine my 73050.

My 5MT certainly hasn't got a speedo cable - blasted thing broke off after a few months running (I gather this was a fairly common occurrence).

Jeff

I broke the speedo cables on both the 5MT and the 4MT tank with just normal handling. I was able to glue back the 5MT one but the 4MT resisted repair. In the end I cut the cable of the speedo off completely, then drilled holes in the mouldings at either end and fixed a small length of insulated black wire in there instead, which has the necessarily flexibility to absorb handling.

Archived