Hornby Spares/Customer Service

Stevelewis

I've had an odd experience. I wrote a letter expressing concern about an item which had what appeared to be a mfg defect (the entire shop stock were like that), drawing it to their attention and asking if any action could be taken (a replacement body). I had no reply (this was a year ago). 6 weeks later I phoned, to be told they would chase up my message and reply. Nothing.

I then resent the letter (to ensure it hadn't got lost in the post the first time). Just checking the word document, that was last October. Nothing. I really need to phone them again when I have a moment. Its just not acceptable, given its one of the most expensive items of Hornby rolling stock.

I am aware however that my 'fault' was an error of millimeters, and may fall into the 'annoying nickpickers' that were mentioned by a senior staff member in the media some time ago IIRC, so maybe its now company policy to ignore such enquiries.

This said, when Bachmann found a similar problem, they recalled an entire line of products (the early GUVs).

• 2 weeks later...

I originally started this thread a few weeks back as I had a problem with a 5 BEL trailer car bogie and received no response from Hornby to whom I had spoken by telephone.

I am pleased to report that I have just received by post a complete bogie ( inc wheels). From Hornby.

Many thanks Hornby (If anyone there reads this forum :thankyou: )

OK, spoke to Hornby - I paraphrase - 'we've already had one of those models back with teh same problem (R4172C Teak Third), checked it with our QC sample, and that is also bowed, so there's nothing we can do',

They suggested I take it back to my retailer. It 2 days off 1 year since purchase, I don't necessarily rate my chances, especially as according to Hornby it is representative of the whole batch- I'm going there later today.

I didn't go back to my retailer at first , because all their stock had the same problem...

I am actually very annoyed - Hornby are acknowledging there is a problem with the batch, but because they are all like that, they won't do anything.

I have since written a follow up letter, but with the 1-year expiring, I can't wait any longer before I return the model

Very very poor service from Hornby. I have said many times on this forum with relation to both Hornby and Bachmann, it all well and good designing good models with fine details, but if you or your contractors can't built them properly....

Guest dubdee1000

I have since written a follow up letter, but with the 1-year expiring, I can't wait any longer before I return the model

This "one year" business is rubbish. The law states that it should last for a reasonable period of time. So, you'd be hard pushed to take a bottle of milk back after a year because it 'smelt a bit funny' since clearly, it cannot be an expectation that fresh milk should last a year. Conversely, if the paint on your new car bubbles up after a year, but before, say 3 years; then you would have a claim since it would be an expectation that the paint on a modern car should last at three years.

As six months since purchase have passed, the onus on you is to prove your item is faulty. This would be relatively easy since in your case, you have already been told by Hornby that they are aware of an issue with it. However, if as you say "the entire shop stock were like that", the retailer could argue that you clearly identified that there was an issue before you bought it, yet you still went ahead. Here, i think you may have a problem. What you have bought is a toy train. Nowhere on the packaging does it guarantee the accuracy of it. You examined it before you bought it, accepted the offer (£x for this), paid the money and took it home. Providing that further faults haven't developed with it, i think the shop could reasonably argue that you have no right to a replacement or refund. You'd have to see if there was any goodwill with them.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on

Update, having spoken again to Hornby and the retailer, Hornby are happy to take the model back as faulty from the retailer, who will refund me.

All a rather strange state of affairs, I still hope that Hornby get back to me though.

Given that I'm not prepared at present to pay £50 for the latest batch of Teak Thirds, I may have to go for a Full Brake, providing it is straight and not bowed!

Update, having spoken again to Hornby and the retailer, Hornby are happy to take the model back as faulty from the retailer, who will refund me.

That is the correct channel for resolution. Hornby are obviously happy to accept the return from the retailer and he's the one to issue a refund rather than the manufacture (that's who you bought it from).

This "one year" business is rubbish.

Not necessarily "rubbish" as the one year applies to warrantied usage. It's obvious Hornby have been happy to resolve the matter.

That is the correct channel for resolution. Hornby are obviously happy to accept the return from the retailer and he's the one to issue a refund rather than the manufacture (that's who you bought it from).

I know it is. However the net effect is that I'm left without the item! I did not WANT a refund, I wanted a properly made model, which is why I contacted Hornby, rather than return the model straight away when I knew all the others were like that.

Hornby have all but acknowledged this is not an isolated case with the model, however appear not prepared to resolve the actual issue, the faulty model. The 'resolution' from their perspective is to remove me as a customer.

This is OK for them, they've got a complainant off their back. My situation is that I am now left with needing to pay a significant premium for a later batch (correctly made) of the model.

Hornby have removed the problem rather than solved it.

Legally I'm satisfied, but as a modeller, I'm not! (and before anyone says 'modellers should fix things', I challenge anyone to fix a bowed coach while preserving a complex finish like teak)

p.s. On the one year front, it was within one year (by two days). In the cases of disintegrating chassis, Hornby have proved they redress issues beyond the one-year mark.

Guest dubdee1000

.....I still hope that Hornby get back to me though.

Given that I'm not prepared at present to pay £50 for the latest batch of Teak Thirds, I may have to go for a Full Brake, providing it is straight and not bowed!

Nice result, but you confuse me a little - you're getting a refund from the retailer AND getting a model back? If you get both, you've done very well.

*EDIT - just re-read your post : refund only i take it.

With respect to the one year business, the purchase of the carriage falls under the Sale of Goods act which provides that the *retailer* should replace, repair or refund the item (whichever is the cheapest and subject to wear and tear), within a reasonable period of time. The one year 'warranty' from Hornby is erroneous, since the purchaser has no contract with Hornby. In the case given, G-BOAF has a contract with the retailer and has correctly been told to take it back to them. They will then deal with Hornby.

Sorry to bang on about this, but when sellers deny any obligations as one year has gone by, it really gets my goat. It seems to be a totally made up law that has become accepted as true, to the detriment of consumer expectations and rights. Aside from the obvious loss of goodwill, it also seems to assume that the consumer is ignorant. Kudos to the seller in this example that this is not the case.

I did not WANT a refund, I wanted a properly made model, which is why I contacted Hornby, rather than return the model straight away when I knew all the others were like that.

Hornby have all but acknowledged this is not an isolated case with the model, however appear not prepared to resolve the actual issue, the faulty model.

I think they've done what they can in the circumstances; if the don't have a replacement available their options are limited. Now it's refunded you may be able to find one on the second-hand market that's not similarly affected.

HI

I do believe that Hornby only give a six month warranty now.

Darren

Hmm, to my knowledge, Hornby have never offered a specific warranty with their locos (unlike Bachmann). However, in the UK at least, consumer rights legislation pretty much covers it anyway, and my own personal experience with Hornby has been very positive to date.

• 8 months later...

I have just had some excellent service from Hornby - my 'Grimsby Town' was a grinder and very slow, so I sent it back to them with the supporting documentation, and I have just received back a brand new one.

Taught me a lesson, though, as, in my optimism that it would run in eventually, I had already painted out the green on the cab roof and started to weather a few bits!

Many thanks to Hornby.

Anthony

Archived