Bachmann standard 2-6-4 and I am having a bit of a problem with it.

HI

I have a Bachmann standard 2-6-4 and I am having a bit of a problem with it.

The problem I am having with it is that it will not run through any of my point work (Peco code 75) it just get stuck and running it through my double slip at slow speed it just stops, seems to bind on the rails.

I have checked the back to backs and they are fine, it seems to have no play at all in the wheels, I have tried pulling them out a bit, but this has made no difference at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you

Darren

When I have measured Bachmann drivers, B2B is about 14.3mm. This is a tad low for my taste but I have never had to widen the B2B on any Bachmann loco when using Peco code 75. I have been known to take a small flat file through the point flangeways to ensure they are smooth and that the flangeway dimension is consistent. The file should be about 1.4mm thick. You should find that the file is tight at first but will loosen up as you work it. Don't be too rough, you don't want to break anything. I checked the DOGA standards website but they talk about Intermediate Track with flangeways of 1.2mm +/- 0.05 and I think Peco code 75 points (notwithstanding the "Finescale" epithet are closer to "Coarse 00" for which I couldn't find a flangeway standard) should probably have flangeways nearer to 1.4mm.

John

Bachmann wheels are to NMRA standards (RP25-110 - conversely Hornby are BRMSB*) (at least the ones I've seen - I can't speak for all of them)

The minimum B-B for these wheels is 15.4mm (actually specified in 'thou.') so 15.3 is definitely tight. A six coupled chassis with no play between wheel and frame is going to be in trouble on anything but the gentlest curves.

Check the gauge also, though there is not a great deal you can do here, without rebuilding the point.

More details on the NMRA website also the DOGA. (i think, but am not certain, that DOGA intermediate and NMRA RP25-110 are the same)

*Supposedly obsolescent, but the vast quantity of wheels around to these standards means that they are still valid. They are actually finer than the NMRA, especially when it is considered that the NMRA wheels are intended for H0 scale not 00. (Regauged Hornby wheelsets are perfectly happy on my EM track , whereas Bachmann are a bit tight on some of the flangeways - I'm not claiming that my track building skills produce perfect results!).

EDIT.

Coarse 00 doesn't really have standards, as it is a compromise - originally to take Hornby Dublo, and Tri-ang wheels, while accepting 'scale' (BRMSB/NMRA) wheels. Hornby (tenuous connection with Hornby Dublo) wheels approximate to Dublo standards. (B-B 14.2mm and flange thickness of about 0.8mm, requiring fairly wide flangeways as tolerances were/are quite lax.)

Back to back minimum of 14.4mm was intended I am sure in IG's post.

Simple stuff to check.

May not be anything to do with the wheelsets. A drooping bit of hardware like brake rodding, bogie pivots or couplings can foul and snag on the crossing rails of pointwork, so check for that.

How does the loco do on plain track curvature? What is the minimum plain track radius it will run around? If it will go around 24" radius then it has enough sideplay in the chassis for the streamline double slip.

What back to back have the wheelsets got after your 'pulling them out a bit'? You might just want to get this in the range 14.4 - 14.6mm.

Back to back minimum of 14.4mm was intended I am sure in IG's post.

What back to back have the wheelsets got after your 'pulling them out a bit'? You might just want to get this in the range 14.4 - 14.6mm.

!4.4mm of course (senior moment!)

Archived