Help needed

Dear Dave,

You and I are singing the same basic tune "...more focus...".

Of course, if the solution turns out to be hitting a series of switching areas in turn, then hyper-light and quick-to-construct interchangable modules (did someone say "Foamcore"?) Would be a logical launchpad...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS small/micros = "built today, abandoned tomorrow"?

In some cases certainly, where:

-the layout was built as a "chainsaw" (to use the recent US terminology)

- the "theme" just didn't actually have enough "modelgenic interest" to justify itself

(NB that this can be equally true of _any_ sized layout! A poorly selected/executed theme will loose appeal, irrespective of the layout size)

- or, the builder got sucked into the "it's a micro, it can just be thrown together" mindset, and didn't actually build the layout with any real thought, design, or structural integrity in mind.

(Just cause they are compact, doesn't mean they don't still need the same "solid mechanical/structural" benchwork/roadbed underpinning as any other layout).

Mike Scott's version of Little Switch (aka the Timesaver) would fit nicely in that area - enough switching to keep interested for a long time. requiring 6 or 7 freight cars, depending on complexity, and one loco 'in steam' would mean you could change place and period really easily

Jon

Mike Scott's version of Little Switch (aka the Timesaver) would fit nicely in that area - enough switching to keep interested for a long time. requiring 6 or 7 freight cars, depending on complexity, and one loco 'in steam' would mean you could change place and period really easily

Jon

Dear Jon,

Working purely from Chris's previous efforts, a "puzzle" with no real proto basis doesn't "feel like Chris".

(John Allen designed it as "track on plank, race against the clock" boardgame, :tomato:

it was unashamedly _not_ a proto-switching scene or op... ).

That said, maybe such a contrived puzzle is just the "change of pace" required?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Prof,

The timesaver shunting puzzle can be made to look very realistic, especially by lengthening the sidings. If you want to solve the puzzle using the recommended siding lengths (2 cars, three cars, etc) the extra trackage can be made unusable with a vehicle or non-active freight car parked on it.

Hmmmm, I'm having some ideas for my Meridian Miss. layout :)

Jon

Chris,

Like you I spend most of my time here lurking in the background, reading interesting posts and being inspired by various offerings. I cannot believe you are stuck on this one. Whilst I normally design modules with a lot less space restrictions I do enjoy a mental tussle of what you can get into a prescribed space. I have been working on a modular set up that comprises a main line with some passing sidings and run round plus industries so have been devouring Lance Mindheim stuff and not a few Model Railroad Planning annuals.

Been playing around with Anyrail and came up with this - hope it reproduces OK. It uses Peco #6 and one curved turnout but the diamond will probably have to be hand built as the Walthers one is a bit too wide an angle to suit.post-917-0-80421400-1335696392_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm, I'm having some ideas for my Meridian Miss. layout :)

Jon

Jon, have you been listening to 'My Head's in Mississippi' by Z Z Top? ;)

Chris, when I'm looking for inspiration I often look at Roger Nicholls old layouts like 'Sundown' (CM Oct 1996) which features an interchange track

and my favourite 'Crystal Lake, Oregon' (CM Dec 2000), I used the track plan as the basis for my new layout. All of Roger's small switching layouts

have interesting, well thought out switching moves which go way beyond the original timesaver switching puzzle.

Mal

• 1 month later...

Archived