100 HP (Post war) Sentinel

So, a couple of photos of where I am at with building the kit. I bought it in 1998 (I think!), after it was advertised in MRJ's Small Suppliers Forum. I have a bit of a love affair for Sentinels, as dad owned a tractor (7529), and drove a waggon (8122).

7114576571_fecd7ce74f.jpg

6968495664_84c3071593.jpg

7114572163_1c578e38ed.jpg

100 HP industrial Sentinel by Peach James, on Flickr

That's what I am up to right now. I've only been building it since 98 or so. It is P4, and so not at all appropriate for Long Marton. (it may, at some point, suffer from a bout of regauging though...). I'm the far side of the country from home, so brought some things to keep me entertained.

James

You're a lucky fellow. That's the one Impetus kit that I've never seen second hand (I was rather too young when it came out - rather earlier than '98) and would dearly love though the chances, I suspect, are extremely slim! You seem to be making a nice job of it. Do you mind me asking how it's driven? One axle or two?

Adam

It's driven by both axles, with a open framed motor ~13x16mm or so (probably a 12x15 nominal). It has the 2nd version of the chassis, the first one used a motor in a horizontal plane, and the instructions are the ones which refer to either 1 or 2 axle drive. I can't see how it would be much use at all with just a single axle pulling. I'm also doubtful as to how well it will work in P4, as there is no suspension fitted. I have a short bit of track built for it at home, just flat bottom soldered onto PCB, gauged with a vernier.

I know I bought it after 1996, because I bought it when I was already in the Navy, on the west coast. I think it was 98, but I could be wrong. The body doesn't appear to have suffered from aging, although it is quite thick in places where I would have expected that in real life thin sheet would have been all that was there.

I have photos of the one in York, and one that was at Oswalstry in March 1996. I'm aware of the details differing between each of them, and that really, without having set out to make a model of one, it ends up a bitza.

James

(edit plain to plane)

FWIW I have one of the Model Rail Sentinels that has been re-gauged to P4. It has no suspension as such apart from some play in the bearing ends and gear slop and it stays on the track just fine. Suspension on short wheelbase locos is nice but not absolutely necessary unless your track is really grim.

HTH

David

• RMweb Gold

Actually having spoke with a manufacturer about resin years ago as i wasn't convinced he said he had resin kits that was over 20 years old and was perfectly fine.

Just look at JLTRT, resin or correctly called polyurethane of the type used in kits is used alot in their kits.

There will be one of these available towards the end of the year from myself as the one on foxfield was measured and photographed last year and will feature a custom designed twin axle gearbox.

6972739250_ac52624c2c.jpg

100_0846 by Peach James, on Flickr

(total of 13 images there)

should get a link to photos I took in 2006 @ NRM of a post war 100 HP Sentinel.

Other photos that I am aware of, there is one captioned in "The Sentinel Volume 2" along with a GA drawing. (Figures 144 & 145)

(yes, I have access to a copy...Dad knew Joe Thomas quite well). My copies of them are crap.

There was also a photo special in one issue of Backtracks. That is one of the reasons why I think a nice dark maroon is about right for him, rather than the electric snot colour of Frank Galbrath.

James

• 5 months later...

I hope the build is progressing ok. I have the origonal chassis in my kit. Being pig headed I'm still trying to make it work properly!! I did, eventually cheat & purchased a Bullant motor bogie off Charlie of DC models at Scaleforum at Slaithwaite several years back. That runs beautifully & fits in the body. Now all I have to do is paint it!

Archived