Electrical bonding

figworthy

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the process of building my first turnout, and I'm wondering what the best way of electrically bonding the stock and switch rails is. How are other people doing it ?

Adrian

What is your turnout made of?

If you use copperclad sleepers the bonding looks after itself, if they are wood or plastic then you need to model the switch ties, just use a piece pof strip from scrap etch or a bit of flattened copper wire, bend to fit between the rails and solder in place.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

What is your turnout made of?

If you use copperclad sleepers the bonding looks after itself, if they are wood or plastic then you need to model the switch ties, just use a piece pof strip from scrap etch or a bit of flattened copper wire, bend to fit between the rails and solder in place.

Regards

Keith

Thanks Keith.

Sleepers are plastic (currently), possibly wood in the future. Looks like a copper loop (which should hide in the ballast) is the favoured solution.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
Sleepers are plastic (currently), possibly wood in the future.

I would go for the switch anchors as Steven says (same as i meant by switch ties) you will have to be careful soldering with plastic sleepers/chairs, but that is the same if you solder droppers or wire loops. I use a bit of 0.5mm copper wire, hammer it so it becomes a strip about 1mm wide then it can be bent to shape and soldered in.

You can see the switch anchors at the right hand side of this diagram. The diagonal straps between stock rail and switch.

post-3169-0-38711200-1336765463_thumb.gif

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I would go for the switch anchors as Steven says (same as i meant by switch ties) you will have to be careful soldering with plastic sleepers/chairs, but that is the same if you solder droppers or wire loops. I use a bit of 0.5mm copper wire, hammer it so it becomes a strip about 1mm wide then it can be bent to shape and soldered in.

You can see the switch anchors at the right hand side of this diagram. The diagonal straps between stock rail and switch.

post-3169-0-38711200-1336765463_thumb.gif

Regards

Keith

Thanks Keith, a useful diagram.

Adrian

Archived