BR 1/291 & 1/292 Ferry Vans

• RMweb Premium

Not quite finished yet - some minor touching-up and weathering required, but you'll get the idea.

post-2274-0-22744500-1335694474_thumb.jpg

The 4-wheeled van is a major cut-and-shut, whereas the bogie van is much simpler.

post-2274-0-12601400-1335694508_thumb.jpg

Ferry fittings from Appleby Model Engineering and 51L make all the difference.

The 4-wheeled vans were originally out-shopped with windows, as per the prototype CCT, but were rejected as insecure by HM Customs, so the windows were plated-over almost immediately.

The transfers are my own; see Sheet BL65 at http://www.cctrans.f...uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent - have mused over doing this too - could you give a more detailed blow-by-blow account of how you did the "CCT" please ?

Not blow-by-blow - I did the body cut-and-shut at least thirty years ago but never finished the project - until last week!! (Amazing how the momentum increases when you retire)!

Basically, it's a shortened Lima CCT body with most of the sides, except the ends with the chalkboards, replaced with plastic card, scribed for the central doors.

Moulded detail such as door stops, etc. was carefully pared off the original bodysides with a new scalpel blade and added to the new sides.

The roof was similarly shortened, as was the chassis which had all detail except the basic axleguards and lower brake levers removed. Had I had plain brass axleguards to hand, I'd have just left the solebars and bufferbeams moulding and built everything else onto it.

RIV buffers, springs and axleboxes came from AME, and the etched ferry chaining lugs from 51L.

That's about it, really.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent - have mused over doing this too - could you give a more detailed blow-by-blow account of how you did the "CCT" please ?

These may also be of interest, having been produced in the same manner; (sorry if the photos are less than perfect).

post-2274-0-80086700-1335704673_thumb.jpg

Prototype CCT .....

post-2274-0-40413000-1335704710_thumb.jpg

...and prototype GUV.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived