Replacement car bogies

metmangraham

I may need to source alternative bogies, preferably ready to run, for Radley Metropolitan F stock kits. I am not confident that I shall assemble the ones provided competently, and may make a mess! Nor am I convinced they will run well. I know I shall not be able to obtain exact replicas from, e.g. the Bachmann range, but could modify the detail.

The key question is the size of the types available (I am a long way from any of the large model shops!). I can find no information anywhere on the web. The ones provided with the kits, including the Tenshodo motorised one, have a wheelbase (axle-axle) of 31mm, with solid wheels of 11.5mm diameter (as near as I can measure).

Can anyone help please?

(Copied from an earlier entry under the general modelling tips section)

I may need to source alternative bogies, preferably ready to run, for Radley Metropolitan F stock kits.

The key question is the size of the types available (I am a long way from any of the large model shops!). I can find no information anywhere on the web. The ones provided with the kits, including the Tenshodo motorised one, have a wheelbase (axle-axle) of 31mm, with solid wheels of 11.5mm diameter (as near as I can measure).

Hi,

The F stock was built for the District Railway..........

For 4mm the 31mm wheelbase and 11.5mm wheel diameter is pretty well close enough as the diagrams I have give a wheelbase of 7' 10" with 3' 0" diameter wheels.

HTH.

That's good news, as I had been unable to find the dimensions of the F stock bogies anywhere. At least what came with the kits and the motorised bogie are OK.

But are any of the proprietary Bachmann bogie spares of the same dimensions?

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for advice on this topic.

Bachmann Bulleid bogies are as near as dammit perfect in overall dimensions.

However, to ensure smooth running of F stock cars (i.e. avoiding occasional short circuiting via wheels and metal base!) I have substituted the wheels supplied with the Radley kit for the Bachmann ones, which are too big.

Perfect!

• 2 months later...

If you are really struggling with the Radley/Harrow ones there is a trick to it. Having built loads of them, test the whole thing goes together properly by placing in the brass bearings and fitting it all together in both hands to check the wheels turn ok. If the bogie headstocks (ends) do not close together properly you may need to drill deeper into the bogie sideframe so the bearings sit further into the metal side and allow the wheels more room to rotate.

When you are happy the whole thing will fit together glue the brass bearings into the side frames and glue to top section into one side only. Then place the wheels into that side before putting super glue on the other side and closing the whole thing up. I build the bogie over a section of track so as I glue it together I push the bogie down onto the track so all 4 wheels meet the rail head level. Finally glue on the end sections.

Hope that helps

I'm now well on my way to completing a 4-car set, using the Bachmann Bulleid bogies, but with the Radley-supplied wheels substituted. The train looks quite good, though only in overall grey primer at present. The Bachmann couplings mean that the cars are further apart than I would have liked, but this is a general problem with all ready-to-run 00 scale coaches in my experience. I'll post photos once finished .. which could be some time, given conflicts by rival hobbies and activities!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived