Shortliner has major hard drive failure and will be offline for some time...

Hi all

Jack has just phone and asked if I'd post this for him.

He had a major hard drive failure on Sunday afternoon and will have to have a complete PC rebuild.

He thinks he's lost everything on his hard drive.....

When I said why not get a Mac... I found out how much of the Scottish language he has leant... :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Thanks

Chris

• RMweb Gold

When I said why not get a Mac... I found out how much of the Scottish language he has leant... :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

A better question would be "Where's the backup?" - the same rule would apply if a Mac disk failed, as they do from time to time, its a hardware issue, completely unrelated to what software runs on it.

Sorry to hear that too!

The only failures I've had with an Apple have been one hard disc drive...

Back up is the answer, I have a little black box the size of a fag packet that just ticks away contentedly until I need it. It's "My Passport".

Best, Pete.

Hi all

He had a major hard drive failure on Sunday afternoon and will have to have a complete PC rebuild.

He thinks he's lost everything on his hard drive.....

Thanks

Chris

Dear Chris,

Let's hope he's got as good a backup as we had for Carl A's site...

There's a lesson to be had here folks...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Hi all

He'lll have time to do some modelling, now, then..... :D

There's a lesson to be had here folks...

Yes, a very salutary one, in fact.... :O

Jack's back - the problem turned out to be a very nasty bit of malware they snuck in in unknown fashion past the fire wall and the anti-virus Sympoms are that it turns the screen black, upchucks a load of windows claiming to be harddrive sector faults, and then claims to be S.M.A.R.T. software (Trial version) and wants you to spend money to get it sorted - my mannie refers to it as scareware - it also disables right click and "hides" all your icons

He said it is a very professionally written piece of software with a front end that appears to be the real thing - possibly the best built Trojan he has seen - it has been dealt with.

And thanks for the comments about "back-ups" - great if you have the facility and knowledge - I had a piece of kit that backed up all files etc, but not the complete system - it is called "clickfree" - absolutely wonderful until it breaks - and that is the point where you discover that you can't repair it - and it is impossible to get inside the sealed case without destroying it - I decided I wasn't paying another £130 for a replacement!

Thanks for notifying the group for me, Chris

• RMweb Gold

Of course, following my advice about Windows users would have prevented this ...

Backups (assuming they are actually taken) and only useful if they can be restored in the event of an issue. There are one or two hospitals around the UK that discovered this (a few years back now)

Get a checkable one, Jack. "My Passport" for Macs can be delved into at any time to ensure it is actually doing what it supposed to - even by idiots such as me.

How did you solve your problem? My Imac is so slow to be grinding away right now (this is my PowerBook which seems unaffected) so I'm concerned that something has got passed my SOPHOS (recently installed after the Mac Trojan was discovered).

Best, Pete.

No idea where it came from - I was looking at Carls site, it threw me out aand then came back for all of around 30 seconds, then started playing up - I did note that it said "new program installed" - which I hadn't given permission for - like I said "one to look out for - the problem may not be what you think"

Thanks guys - lost nothing at all - this nasty little beast is trying to con you into sending them big bucks - basically it hides your desktop and all your icons, Overwrites your screen with scareware, and disables right click so you can't get them back - I was suspicious when I saw the bit about "new program installed" (which I knew I hadn't done) and then the " trial period having run out"and "paying for the full version" - but it is a little bu99er to remove, because it hides itself well - it certainly gives a good appearance of a hard drive crash though! Fortunately Andrew knows what he is doing!

• RMweb Gold

Of course, following my advice about Windows users would have prevented this ...

but it is a little bu99er to remove, because it hides itself well - it certainly gives a good appearance of a hard drive crash though! Fortunately Andrew knows what he is doing!

Prevention is better than the cure :wink_mini:

True Beast - but like I said , not helped by lack of knowledge or facilities - and having spent money to try and prevent the problem before, as an OAP I'm reluctant to invest again. all my photos etc are on flash drives or SD cards, and there doesn't seem to be a way of mirroring/backing up my complete hard drive and operating system at a sensible cost

• RMweb Gold

No money involved in my solution, its all about configuring the users correctly.

I posted it to try and prevent exactly the problem you've encountered, and I've relinked to it several times, I can only give the advice, I can't force people to follow it.

I posted it ......, and I've relinked to it several times, I can only give the advice, I can't force people to follow it.

As i haven't seen your advice elsewhere, and you haven't linked to it here, what is it..??

Then again, as I don't use Windows at all, maybe it'd be no use to me anyway..? ;)

Sorry to hear that too!

The only failures I've had with an Apple have been one hard disc drive...

Back up is the answer, I have a little black box the size of a fag packet that just ticks away contentedly until I need it. It's "My Passport".

Best, Pete.

I have a "passport" as well, works nice and simple.

• RMweb Gold

As i haven't seen your advice elsewhere, and you haven't linked to it here, what is it..??

Then again, as I don't use Windows at all, maybe it'd be no use to me anyway..? ;)

Windows, if you use Linux I hope you aren't logging in as root to do everything (which is effectively what most people do for Windows !)

Archived