The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Flying to Canada Advice Please.

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

We flew with Canadian Airlines back in '92 out of LGW and they were good.

Flew with BA in '02 out of LHW and they were fine.

This year we were going to book Ait Transat then take Amtrak Cascades talgo into the USA but at last minute found a cheaper alternative within the USA to reach Portland, OR. Unfortunately for us we have to fly out of LHW rather than LGW.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

LGW is much better these days now they have improved the security system into the departures lounge.

never travelled out of Manchester as its a long way from us.

Really don't like LHR at all but really dont have a lot of choice these days going across the pond as so few trans Altantic flights out of LGW now.

Ian

BA do at least give you a large luggage allowance, maybe look at one of their flights to Toronto and a connecting flight on one of their partner airlines so he can check his bags all the way to Calgary (assuming you can do that when entering Canada). I wouldn't go via the USA as I think he'd have to fight US immigration and re-check his bags.

BA do at least give you a large luggage allowance, maybe look at one of their flights to Toronto and a connecting flight on one of their partner airlines so he can check his bags all the way to Calgary (assuming you can do that when entering Canada). I wouldn't go via the USA as I think he'd have to fight US immigration and re-check his bags.

No you can't check the bags through all the way. Canada and the US have the same rule. You must clear immigration AND customs at the first point of entry. Flying to Toronto means your bags have to be retrieved by you and taken through customs first. Canada doesn't have the green, blue, red channel. Once you clear immigration you get your bags and proceed through the customs desk. BTW BA does fly direct to Calgary but the cost averages around £1300 compared to £600 average on a charter.

Good thing somebody knows about Canadian entry restrictions. If he has to change planes it might be better to do so in Europe? Has he looked at STA for flights, they do lots of cheap student only tickets. I'm looking at September 28th and I found £393 one way on KLM changing in AMS. If you do decide to go with him, BA flights become massively cheaper once you throw in a hotel booking as well. Even so, by the time you include all expenses for you and your wife, it might be cheaper to buy him a business class ticket which carries an enhanced luggage allowance

• RMweb Gold

.... If you do decide to go with him, BA flights become massively cheaper once you throw in a hotel booking as well.

For some reason when we flew to Boston a couple of years ago staying in a hotel for three days instead of 2 brought the total price down.

If Matthew flies out a few days before he has to be be there he might need a hotel anyway. I've asked him to contact the university to see how they deal with "early arrivals".

If you are needing your luggage allowence do not have a day or so stop over as you then go onto local allowence which tends to be only 20KG I would also look at other european airlines like KLM etc they often have good deals. I used the onece for South America.

Remarkable how we have such differing experiences and views on a carrier's performance. It only serves to confuse and this site http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2011/improved2011.htm probably will only add to it!

If possible I would recommend going by Eurostar, but it isn't and that would only open a new can of worms anyway. :nono:

Jol

Looking at the site linked to above Singapore Airlines comes up a lot in the top 3 in any category. I must say that they are the best airline I've ever used (mostly between LA and Tokyo) though I've never used their economy section even that gets good reviews in "Best Seats".

Best "bathrooms" too!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Really don't like LHR at all but really dont have a lot of choice these days going across the pond as so few trans Altantic flights out of LGW now.

Ian

I don't find LHR T5 too bad, used it 20-30 times back in 2010 and it was always fairly hassle free, easy for car drop-offs and the NE coach dropped me at the door. As others have said, I'd try and avoid a transfer in the USA with the risk of missing a connection.

• RMweb Gold

Not used Terminal % at LHR so I cant comment on that one but the other reason I dont like especially even more that we are 10 minutes from LGW but 2 hours by train from LHW.

Not had a connection problem in the USA on outward flight but have had an extremely near missed connection on way home last Chrsitmas. We sat on the taxi way next ot our plane hime from LAX awaiting a free gate. When we got to the gate and got off, they had closed the gate for our plane back to LHW but luckily they realised how many people were about to miss the plane and put the skyway back to the plane door and let us on!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Going back several points, there is no real train service to Calgary -- this was removed several decades ago. The nearest regular train goes to Edmonton, sort of like finding that the nearest train to Edinburgh was in Liverpool, Or London.

The Rocky Mountaineer is a land cruise and not suitable for anyone who actually wants to go somewhere. Or is on a budget.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the advice. I have booked via my credit card ( son did say something about paying me the money!) a flight direct from Gatwick to Calgary via Canadian Affair. I've upgraded it to Club so he won't have to worry about baggage allowances. I've booked him into a hotel for the three days between the flight arriving and being able to go to the university accommodation. If you have an appropriate visa you don't need a return ticket according to the airline. Matthew is obtaining the student visa now that he has the acceptance from the University of Calgary.

On cost issues all the above came out less than the standard economy fare on other airlines. Let's hope it all works out!

Next thing is travel/ health insurance. I'll contact Endsleigh about that initially. They sorted out all his requirements for his trip to Vietnam last year. Though Matthew is waiting for the university to reply to see if they have any schemes / advice etc.

Archived